How to print on the glossy blank cards?

ladyaset

Hi All,

I am pretty new to this forum, but am addicted to the cards :) I am creating my own deck and have bought those cards from US Games that have that patterned back and blank tops.
With them being partly glossy, how do I go putting my image on them. It seems like such a stupid question, but I don't think my printer will print well on them, I have toyed with the idea of getting them printed on photo paper and then pasting them on, but then would it hold up to use.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Heather

Daizdy

Hi Ladyaset and welcome to AT! The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was t-shirt iron-on transfer sheets. I was looking at the back of a package I have and it lists different products for different surfaces. The one I have is Avery t-shirt transfers. I think something like this might give you a cleaner look than pasting the images onto the cards. Then you could seal it with laminate or decoupage or something.

Just a thought...:)

ladyaset

I am going to check that out! Thanks!

Heather

SedonaMyst

I tried printing directly onto the U.S. Games blank cards with my inkjet printer. They fed through OK, but the ink smeared and it never dried correctly. I could rub off ink even after an hour of drying time. Next I printed one on glossy photo paper and glued it to the blank card using spray glue. It worked great! Now I'm looking into laminating them. I think I'll try laminating the photo paper alone and see how thick they are.

ladyaset

Thanks for that suggestion too. I was looking into printing them on photo paper and getting them on the cards somehow. LOL Maybe a sheet of clear contact paper over them to laminate would work.

Heather

Chronata

Welcome ladyaset!

yeah...that question has been bouncing around my head for a few years now as well!

The glossy cardstock does take permenant marking pens and acrylic paints (with a sealer) pretty well if you want to create directly on the card...
but for images transfered on...well, that's a whole 'nother deck o'cards!

Printing from the computer and pasting the image on works...but not great, because of the edges...which make them difficult to shuuffle for long term use.

One thing that a friend of mine tried...was to copy the image with a color copier at a copy center, and then use mod podge...or decopoge medium...which works as glue and sealer making a nice solid card.
(this doesn't work with inkjet prints because the ink tends to smear.)

You could also try laminating... the sticky laminate sheets, or cold lamination (like the Xyron) will give decent results.

if you do come up with a solution...please pass it along! We deck creators are suckers for the shortcuts to making good quality decks by hand!

blackroseivy

What I'm doing:

Gonna use those cards, too - & I am going to try spray adhesive, as I know from experience it REALLY sticks. I'm going to heat-set each individual card, which is really "laminating", & THEN: I am going to experiment with very LIGHTLY spraying each with spray shellac. Yes, I am nervous of the ink running - I intend to experiment first (this will be printed out on my ink-jet). When I spray, it will be the slightest possible amount; I will then spray that much & gradually build it up over several light sprayings. My paper, btw, is the matte kind - NOT the glossy! This is VERY IMPORTANT - I'm pretty sure that with the matte photo paper, I can keep the ink from running if I just am very careful with the amount of shellac sprayed at a time.

Tk2dsky

I have some cards on order, and am considering all possible ways to put an image on them as well... My idea was to print the picture on sticker or label paper....then directly sticking them to the cards. Anyone try this? Or have a comment on how it might work?

B*B
Ericka