REVERSALS: The World Reversed

Thirteen

Finishing up our Majors...the World or Universe is about looking out. This is a card about achievement, mastery, completion, and a feeling of being welcome anywhere you go. It's a card of travel, not to learn but to dispense knowledge. This is the Wise Scholar instead of the Fool, packed up and going wherever the road takes them. Reversed....

1) Opposite: obviously, the opposite of the traveling card would be staying at home. A person who can't venture from their comfort zone. Likewise, the person is far from finishing what they've been working on. It isn't complete, it's only just started.

We might also say that the opposite here would be the Fool--but we have that Card. So what's the difference. I would say that the Fool doesn't pretend to know anything. But the reversed World indicates a person who *thinks* they are worldly, pretends to be worldly...but they are not.

This card could very well suggest someone who is fooling themselves or others. Their knowledge is faulty or just plain wrong. Their information is false, they don't know what they're talking about.

2) Blocked: as the energy of the World card is completion or mastery, a blocked World card indicates that something is stopping a person from finishing the job. Ever seen the movie "Wonder Boys"? A writer keeps working on a novel, it gets longer and longer, but he can't seem to finish it. The reversed world would very much suit this man. What he's taken on he can't compete or master--or, for some reason, doesn't want to.

This card might also come up for someone who is agoraphobic. A person who cannot leave their home, who is afraid of the outside world.

3) Upsidedown: the upsidedown image of the Rider-Waite world gives us an image very like the Hanged Man. The dancing figure can't dance, the world, as it were, can't turn. We end up with stillness rather than movement. As with the other interpetations, we get the feeling that no travel is possible. The person can't turn and so can't see all around them--they can't complete what they've started.

Other Thoughts?

starrystarrynight

Thirteen said:
Blocked...This card might also come up for someone who is agoraphobic. A person who cannot leave their home, who is afraid of the outside world.
:) The phrase that often comes to mind when I pull the World (Universe) is, "The World is your oyster."...So maybe blocked, it would be, "The Oyster is your world."

michmm

Your just rewards may be delayed… it could also indicate a win which is not appreciated / celebrated.

michmm

starrystarrynight said:
:) The phrase that often comes to mind when I pull the World (Universe) is, "The World is your oyster."...So maybe blocked, it would be, "The Oyster is your world."

starrystarrynight
i love the way you have depicted this...excellent!

KaiMoonshadow

starrystarrynight said:

What a fascinating perspective!

Demon Goddess

(blocked) I just got the World (Rx) to represent the fact that the only thing holding me back from moving is the fact that I have to sell my house. In this sense it is telling me that I have unfinished business.