King of Pentacles as Outcome

LovelyMissAries

I was doing this spread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74375 and I drew the King of Pentacles as the outcome card, or to answer the "will anything happen between us?" card. Court cards are sometimes confusing to interpret, but would you take this as a yes or a no?

--I used the Rider-Waite deck by the way--

The way I see it, the King of Pentacles is a business and financial card. It's very practical, and even stoic in terms of relationships. On the account that the card before that had been the 4 of Pentacles, I thought maybe I could see a progression...going from someone who is very selfish or hordes his things (emotions and items), to someone who is abundantly wealthy and provides it for his family (which in that case would equal a 'yes' something may happen between us) Then again, looking at the King of Pentacles by itself, he is by himself. You could look at it and say he has all this wealth and no one to share it with, he's too focused on his work right now to take notice of anything else. So I'm confused on how to interpret it.

My first reaction to this card was 'no', and then on a hunch I drew a second card to clarify, and it was the King of Cups which we all know can represent a family man who carries deep deep feelings but is afraid to share them. So now I am just confused as to whether the King of Pentacles is a positive sign or not.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm a little groggy with sleep taking over me, so if any of this does not make sense trust that I will be back in the morning to clarify/edit as needed. :)

balenciaga

I think yes because pentacles signal the manifestation - a yes - to your question. The addition of a King of cups adds emotional feelings to the interpretation.

Haunted Wood

Hmm, well first reactions are usually right. Seems kind of frustrating that you got another court card to clarify the king of pentacles, how confusing of the cards. I don't know if it is a yes or no...such questions are so hard to answer. Do you feel the king of pentacles might represent you, or qualities that you will develop? Or the other person? Or not a person at all, but what the situation will come to be like. Maybe if you want something to happen with this person you have to act like the king of pentacles, develop his qualities? I don't see the 4 of pentacles as someone who is selfish and hordes things, necessarily...I don't use the rider waite though. I see how it could mean that in certain readings though, or even possessiveness in terms of relationships. I had something of an insight about it a little while ago, related to a particular reading of course, so it's not like I would see the 4 of pentacles as this all of the time. But I'll share what I wrote in my journal...

"Ground myself, and keep my mind firmly rooted in reality. I think perhaps that this card could be saying to keep those things and people in my life which are dear to me rather than getting rid of them in haste, because they have worth and value to me and my life. Something (a relationship maybe, or perhaps an aspect of myself or a talent or interest that I have) may not seem worth very much right now or may seem only little, but if I were to get rid of it now (‘spend’ it so to speak) then I would miss seeing it accrue in size, interest and worth – miss seeing it grow into something larger and more valuable. If one uses the analogy of money, well then when you earn something or aquire a bit of money somehow, you have the option of either spending it now or saving up your earnings over a period of time and then buying something which is better than what you could have bought initially, and which is something that you probably really want and of more use to you (more than the thing you would have bought with the smaller amount of money). And you’ll get more satisfaction out of it because you know all the work that it took to earn enough money to afford it. You’ll also have had time to really think over your purchase, rather than just buying something on a whim more for the hell of it. Perhaps it’s looking at a relationship and instead of being frustrated because it doesn’t seem like much now, rather than throwing it away, invest in it – slowly add to it, work at it and develop it and soon it will be much more than what you started with. So perhaps along those lines, it’s about seeing that the best and longer lasting things in life are usually the ones which take a long time to happen and develop."

Grizabella

Since we're supposed to stick to "the many meanings" of any particular card here and not do outright interpretations for people, I'll pick my brain to see what "many" meanings I find. :)

The courts very often indicate people, so I'd see the King of Pentacles and the King of Cups as possibly being people who are influential in the situation, or who may enter the picture.

On the other hand, they can indicate facets of the querent's own personality. That means it's possible that they might be indicating ways you may need to progress before your desired outcome is possible.

Or they might indicate blocks in your own makeup to getting your desired outcome.

Or they could indicate positive facets of your personality that only lack the other two kings to make a complete picture in order for your desired outcome.

Possibly these two kings indicate the ways you're going to change as a result of this relationship, either by bringing these characteristics of your personality to the fore or helping you to bring out the other two.

They might be two friends of either yours or your "intended's" who are influential in the relationship.

Tarot can't speak so it has to use "sign language", so to speak, and it's a little bit like playing charades. You as the reader are the only one who can really decipher the true meaning because you're the one who knows the surrounding factors the best and it's you the cards are trying to communicate with. What they're presenting to you to get the message across is probably different than what it would take to get the same message across to someone else.

celticnoodle

I would see the King of Pentacles as a very positive card indicating success achieved! especially with the 4 of pentacles in the position before it to answer the question "how I see him". it shows me not anything about greed, but as laying a positive foundation for love to grow. yes, i know this card is a 'greedy' looking card, but I think in this instance, it's probably indicating that you are wanting to be solely developing a relationship with him--and only him. being monogamous.

then the King of Pentacles in the last position answering your question "Will anything happen between us" would seem to indicate a very positive answer of "yes! this relationship will be successful! and I'd go further to include that the King is going to feel very happy & positive about his relationship with you. then, to have that clarifying card on top of it, the King of Cups! well, watch out! this man is going to fall very much in love with you, I'd say.

these cards just smell of success all around! :)

starrystarrynight

Yeah, but guys, "Will anything happen between us?" is quite an ambiguous question, don't you think? Sure, something will likely happen between Starlight and X, but that could run the gamut from working together, taking a course together, forming a fast friendship, a romantic liaison, or any other thing. I think the King of Pents in this position could merely indicate that something between the two will solidify in some way on the physical plane...especially since the previous card was also a Pentacle. (But that, to me, doesn't signify a romantic relationship, necessarily.)

[I've had the cards read literally for me too many times not to beware asking a question that doesn't answer exactly what I want to know--like, "How will our relationship evolve in the foreseeable future?" Not to mention that Yes/No questions never seem to answer accurately for me (percentage-wise) using tarot.]

Just my take, though...:)

LovelyMissAries

starrystarrynight said:
Yeah, but guys, "Will anything happen between us?" is quite an ambiguous question, don't you think? Sure, something will likely happen between Starlight and X, but that could run the gamut from working together, taking a course together, forming a fast friendship, a romantic liaison, or any other thing.

I completely agree now that you pointed this out Starry! I wish I would've thought about that before I did this reading.

LovelyMissAries

afrosaxon said:
I'd take it as a yes as well, since I love Pentacles cards; they're very positive and straightforward. Then again, my sun sign is an Earth sign. :D

"SEARCH THIS FORUM" and ye shall find...:cool:

Pentacles in Love/Relationship Questions

Pentacles in Relationship Readsings

Can We Talk About Pentacles in Romance?

Court Cards as Outcome in Relationship Spreads

Court Cards as Outcome

Thank you for looking up all these links! I tried visiting one of them while I was in school but the professor was lurking around so I couldn't thoroughly read it! Boo!

SunChariot

starrystarrynight said:
Yeah, but guys, "Will anything happen between us?" is quite an ambiguous question, don't you think? Sure, something will likely happen between Starlight and X, but that could run the gamut from working together, taking a course together, forming a fast friendship, a romantic liaison, or any other thing. I think the King of Pents in this position could merely indicate that something between the two will solidify in some way on the physical plane...especially since the previous card was also a Pentacle. (But that, to me, doesn't signify a romantic relationship, necessarily.)

[I've had the cards read literally for me too many times not to beware asking a question that doesn't answer exactly what I want to know--like, "How will our relationship evolve in the foreseeable future?" Not to mention that Yes/No questions never seem to answer accurately for me (percentage-wise) using tarot.]

That is very true, the question is very ambigious. Both having a beautiful and loving relationship and having a traumatic breakup can both be classified as something happening between the two people and anything in between as well. ANYTHING at all that happens can be classified as something happening.

The best bet would be to rephrase the question to be more specific and start again.

But as for my take on it as it is now...The King of Pents. Pents are to me about our goals, life goals, what we most want to achieve in a relationship and sometimes the work we need to put in to achieve what we want. The Kings are those who have mastered the power of their suit fully and masterfully. In short all this says to me that you will achieve what yuo wanted to achieve.

But I do agree with starrystarrynight. The question was ambigious and it could mean almost anything. Enough so that to me it places the veracity of the answer in question. It would, to me, be best to scrap that reading and start over with the question that is more specific and does not have a variety of potential meanings.

Also, just my 2 cents worth but I have never found yes/no questions to work well for me anyway. I tend to prefer to rephrase them from "Will "X" happen?" to "What do I need to know now about if "X" will happen? Just my advice, do with it what you will. :grin:

Babs