New type of reading.....

Karenwhe

New type of reading.....?

I have been trying this new type of reading for a while and it stunned me lately how helpful it is.

So, I will detail the reading and spread and how it is done. Tell me if you have any experience with something like this .... even try it and share the results...... and in general let us know if this works for you too....

Cups Reading

What is a CUPS reading?

Cups reading is an emotional and spiritual reading. A reading that deals only with ones’ emotions and spiritual experience. The purpose of the reading is to find insights into ones’ emotional and spiritual situation that s/he may not be aware of at the time or be aware of but not know the reason or the advise to change that situation.

When would one do such a reading?

Any time for any reason but mainly its purpose is to provide additional insight to a general reading, specifically when the reader gets the feeling that the Querents’ emotional state is sabotaging his/her circumstances. It can also provide insight into a complex reading. But of course it can be used in any circumstances that just feels right to do so. It also must be mentioned that it serves for counseling purposes to solve problems and not fortune telling.

The cards used?

1. The suit of cups
2. The archetypes.
They must be stacked in different packs.

The spread?

…5
………1………
…..2…3…4…

The upper left card is an archetype. He is the overall emotional and spiritual situation – the big picture or the present.

The center card is the significator (according to the star sign of the querent).

The 3 bottom cards are the current emotional and spiritual situation that gives the insight. It does not tell any future, but analyzes the situation now.

Instructions:
1. - The significator is found in the deck by the Querents star sign an laid face up on the table (this is position 1).
2. - Only the Cup Suit is shuffled. Cards are laid on the table (fan shaped) face down.
3. - 3 Cards are chosen and put face down in position 2, 3, 4.

At this point the reader reads positions 2,3,4 with as much in-depth as s/he can. When that is completed the next step is started.

4. - The 22 Major Acarna cards are shuffled and laid on the table (fan shaped).
5. - One card is chosen and put face up on the left hand side to the significator.

Notes:
1. It is strongly advised to use Reversals in this spread as it uses very little amount of cards. I tried it without reversals and for me it didn't work as well or at all.
2. It is advised that the Querent chooses the cards from the table for positions 2,3,4 and then 5. It is not necessary, but from experience when choosing any card from a stack of cards the querent seems to always make an accurate choice while the reader usually comes in second (but that is only my experience). But then again there is not rule. Some also read online were the querent can’t interact to that degree.
---------------------------------------

Let us know what you think, try it and share the results would be very nice to know if this helps anyone.

jamesriouxctm

Karenwhe,

When I started reading this thread I expected a spread in the shape of a cup. To instead find that you're proposing a reading with only the Cups and Majors is a unique twist, and something that I've rarely run across. Kudos!

I look forward to trying this out sometime, and to seeing what you have in mind for the other three suits. (And if you don't have anything for the other suits, you should really rectify that.)

Those of you who read for the FRN, which is apparently starting to allow 5 card readings now, would do well to pay attention to this kind of spread since I think it has a lot of potential for the plethora of relationship-oriented questions that we receive.

Diana

Wow. This is a wonderful spread. But what is a Star sign? :confused:

Major Tom

Actually, R.T. Kaser uses this sort of method a lot in his book Tarot in 10 Minutes.

JC

I think maybe Karenwhe is refering to a Sun sign?

I like this spread alot - it looks easily adapted. For instance, you could use any of the suits depending on the question. Also, you could determine the card in the fifth position numerologically. And, also depending on the question, you could base the significator on the querent's moon sign, rising sign, descending sign, or whatever planet was affecting the querant's life at that time.

This is gonna be fun to try out!

Karenwhe

Why was it moved????? :(

As this is not a new spread but a way of using the tarot I really don't understand why was it moved.... but thats cool too.

To answer some interesting issues raised here:

1. I never tried it with the other suits, but I could try to find them some similar purpose. This spread/reading came naturally and intuitively and formed into what I posted after a long while. Nevertheless, it didn't bother me to use only on suit because it usually was a clarification to something more complex that used all the 78 cards.

2. In some countries the zodiac sign is called a star sign (Cancer, Taurus, Gemini etc.)
Any other astrological sign can be used (Sun sign or whatever).

Other than that, I never tied this reading by itself, only in addition to something bigger and more complex.

StargazerLily

This is a really great spread! I think it would be a really good thing to do once a month to see how you're growing spiritually and emotionally. Thank you for sharing it.

Karenwhe

Major Tom, can you describe a little how R.T. Kaser uses this sort of method in that book "Tarot in 10 Minutes".

I am very interested how others do this. Unfortunately or fortunately I don't read tarot books, just stuff on the web but mostly I go by instinct.

Thanks.

Major Tom

Karenwhe said:
Major Tom, can you describe a little how R.T. Kaser uses this sort of method in that book "Tarot in 10 Minutes".

OK. :)

R.T. Kaser describes it as 'stacking the deck'. He uses the first 10 major arcana (with Justice = 8 ) and the 10 cards from the suit that's applicable to the question. Cups for relationships, Wands for work, Pentacles for money and Swords for strategy. When using the celtic cross he uses the majors for the cover and cross in the centre, the minors for above, below, behind and before and then both the majors and minors shuffled together for the last 4 positions. Read the spread as normal.

It's actually quite an effective method. })

Karenwhe

Sounds very, very interesting I will definitely try that.

Thanks.