Morgan Greer, glossy Italian printing

Bhavana

Has anyone recently bought the Morgan Greer? I am looking for the shiny printed in Italy deck - I got an MG as a prize from the Book Depot several months ago, and it was the matte China printing - which I love - but I want both. Other than USGames, does anyone know where the newer Italian edition is being sold?

Le Fanu

OMG is US Games "Italian" vintage now collectible?

I knew it would be one day! :D And the Morgan Greer is my favourite ever deck in the "Printed in Italy" edition. The colours are so gorgeous, with excellent picture quality. The chemical stink on mine has long gone (it lives by the bed in a purple 70s bag) This is one deck I really like in glossy cardstock.

But in answer to your question; I don't know.

How did you get a MG as a prize? Do the Book Depository run competitions? :bugeyed:

autumn star

I prefer the matte Morgan Greer. I used to have a vintage deck - the cards were much larger with matte print, but somehow I have lost it and have to make do with a glossy Italian deck. There is no comparison between my old one and the newer Italian version, the imagery suits a larger card size IMO.

If there is a newer matte print of the MG then I would be very interested in getting it, I wonder how large the cards are?

Chiriku

I prefer the matte Morgan Greer. I used to have a vintage deck - the cards were much larger with matte print, but somehow I have lost it and have to make do with a glossy Italian deck. There is no comparison between my old one and the newer Italian version, the imagery suits a larger card size IMO.

This is news to me. My Morgan Greer was purchased in 1998 in the U.S. and while I can't recall whether it was matte or glossy, I am positive it was a "standard" tarot size. In fact, I just handled it briefly over the holidays when accessing part of my old collection for an hour.

You're saying the "vintage" deck had larger-than-standard cards? What do you mean by vintage? The deck is only 30-odd years old, so, when compared to my late-90s deck, yours would have had to have been printed in the 80s or early 90s.

As to glossiness...I'd be interested in owning one of those. I can picture just how vibrant those colors would be in a glossy cardstock. Think, for instance, of business cards that are offered in both matte and glossy. Glossy usually makes the photographic or scenic business cards "pop" and even enriches the colors.

autumn star

This is news to me. My Morgan Greer was purchased in 1998 in the U.S. and while I can't recall whether it was matte or glossy, I am positive it was a "standard" tarot size. In fact, I just handled it briefly over the holidays when accessing part of my old collection for an hour.

You're saying the "vintage" deck had larger-than-standard cards? What do you mean by vintage? The deck is only 30-odd years old, so, when compared to my late-90s deck, yours would have had to have been printed in the 80s or early 90s.

As to glossiness...I'd be interested in owning one of those. I can picture just how vibrant those colors would be in a glossy cardstock. Think, for instance, of business cards that are offered in both matte and glossy. Glossy usually makes the photographic or scenic business cards "pop" and even enriches the colors.

Yep, it belonged to my mum. I would imagine it was brought in the 80's. It was larger than the copy that I have now. I used the word vintage because I couldn't think of what else to call it other than old :laugh:. I wish that I could find it to show you guys the card size side by side and the difference in the colors. It was the first deck that I had and I learnt to read with it and not many other decks can compare imo. I will have a hunt around for it, but sadly I feel like someone may have thrown it out because I stopped using it (I had a break from reading tarot and didn't touch a deck at all for a few years) and probably put it in an obscure place - it was wrapped in a cloth because the box was long gone. I really didn't realize as student of tarot, and someone who didn't know very much about decks that it was special and that if I got another copy of it wouldn't be exactly the same - sigh. When I ordered the glossy edition I was very disappointed that it wasn't the same as the one that I had.

Chiriku

Yep, it belonged to my mum. I would imagine it was brought in the 80's. It was larger than the copy that I have now. I used the word vintage because I couldn't think of what else to call it other than old :laugh:. I wish that I could find it to show you guys the card size side by side and the difference in the colors. It was the first deck that I had and I learnt to read with it and not many other decks can compare imo. I will have a hunt around for it, but sadly I feel like someone may have thrown it out because I stopped using it (I had a break from reading tarot and didn't touch a deck at all for a few years) and probably put it in an obscure place - it was wrapped in a cloth because the box was long gone. I really didn't realize as student of tarot, and someone who didn't know very much about decks that it was special and that if I got another copy of it wouldn't be exactly the same - sigh. When I ordered the glossy edition I was very disappointed that it wasn't the same as the one that I had.

Can you compare it to the size of other decks, for reference? By big, do you mean Druidcraft size? Rohrig? Surely not Giant Rider Waite? I'm assuming not short and wide like Ancestral Path, either.

Chiriku

Not that I have any business getting worked up over this. Holding out hope to meet one of these mythical large-sized Morgan Greers would be tarot folly of the worst kind. I'm always chasing rainbows, watching clouds drifting by...

autumn star

Can you compare it to the size of other decks, for reference? By big, do you mean Druidcraft size? Rohrig? Surely not Giant Rider Waite? I'm assuming not short and wide like Ancestral Path, either.

Probably about the same size as the Druidcraft and similar kind of cardstock.

Does anyone else have one of these? I can't be the only person .... I'm hoping that someone out there will have one and be able to post a pic of what it's like.

Le Fanu

I have 70s, 80s, 90s copies of the Morgan Greer, both Morgan Press editions and U.S Games editions and they are all the same size and the colouring is richer on my most recent to be honest.

There is an edition which has a fine black line around the images (I think Sulis has one) but I don't remember her saying it was bigger.

MysticalMoose

I'm intrigued now. I love my Morgan Greer decks. I have 3 an ancient browny box one, an old dark blue box un-shiny one which feels fabulous with the varying numbered stars on the back & a Printed in Belgium one which is satiny & lovely to shuffle... I haven't seen a Printed in Italy one!!! :bugeyed: