Wolf/Werewolf Tarot - Suggestions welcome

rabidwolfie

Ok, so for a few years here, I have been secretly flirting with an idea for a new deck. (I'm a shameless flirt). The idea will be a mix of regular wolves, people, & werewolves. Don't get your hopes up, it will be a LOOOOONG time before I even get anywhere near to publishing it, but I have decided to go ahead & start putting it's skeleton together. I haven't thought of a name for this deck yet, but maybe Lupine Tarot. Nothing in Stone.

Here's an example of what I have so far.

2 of cups (suits will be renamed later) - It's in the woods, maybe a small meadow or clearing. A werewolf of undecided gender is knelt/sitting, hugging a feral wolf's neck (friendly) while the rest of the pack watches a few steps away.
I may put a deer in here, I'm not sure.

The two of cups is about partnership, alliance, close friends, associates or lovers. A cooperation. The wolf pack has accepted the werewolf & maybe they had a successful hunt together. Still deciding.

The Moon (possibly renamed to The Full Moon depending how much into the theme I want to get) A full moon rests in the sky, partly obscured by the tail end of clouds that are being blown away. On the ground, a boy is in the process of changing into his other form while the girl watches, terrified & unsure if she should run away or try to help her boyfriend. Her indecision freezes her to the spot.

The moon is all about deception, fear of something only partly understood, & yet a subconscious yearning for that which is also dangerous. Illusion.

The Lovers - On the top of a small hill, a female feral wolf stands partly in the shade at the edge of the forest. She watches a male werewolf, kneeling/sitting before her who is looking over his shoulder at a small village in the valley below (in the background). She seems to be beckoning him to follow her. "Come with me." She seems to be saying. "Come be my mate. We'll hunt in the moonlight & sleep curled together in the day. The humans don't want you. Forget them." He has to decide.

The Lovers is about making a choice. Does he want to go with the wolf & live with her in the wild? Or is the connection to the village & his human side, where he has a job, a home, possibly a family, still too strong?

That's just a small sampling, I have a few others in mind as well, but I don't have the entire deck yet. If anyone would like, I'll post such descriptions for the cards I do have. (None are drawn yet, still in the idea stage), but these three cards give the general idea & theme of the deck.
It will be VERY loosely based on RWS, & I do mean loosely. Some cards I may change the meanings to & I may rename some as I see fit. Swords, for example, will likely be changed to Silvers (silver bullet). Wands may become Fangs/Claws, I'm still working on that concept.

I appreciate ALL input, positive AND negative so long as it's polite! And I would GREATLY appreciate some ideas. Pick a card & give me some useful suggestions or critique what I've already done. What are some things you'd like to see if such a deck were made? What are some suit name ideas? Should it be modern day or a much older time period? Any & all ideas welcome. And if anyone would like, I'll post the rest of what I have so far for this deck for critique. I don't want an RWS clone, however.

Oh, & which way would you prefer Strength/justice? Strength 8 & Justice 11 or Justice 8 & Strength 11? I know that's a big issue in the tarot community.

Little Hare

Personally I wouldn't have posted this thread till you actually have something on paper ;) as in a design on paper. Because its just an idea now, it won't be covered by copyright. Therefore someone could take it

Love the idea though

rabidwolfie

Very true. But if someone else steals this idea & turns it into a deck, that means it will be available so much sooner. LOL

I'm in the process of doing this deck because it's needed, not because I plan to profit from it in any way. My resolve was strengthened when I finally got my Shadowscapes. How many years was that deck in production? How many did I watch it being created? Suddenly the idea of the Lupine Tarot didn't seem so impossible afterall.

Now if I can just come up with something suitable for the 7 of cups I may even start sketching out my image ideas.

Little Hare

Awesome :)

I'll be watching this thread with interest then

Little Hare