Clues from the Past (Spread)

nodntap

One way you might consider trying to learn the tarot cards is by reading them in how they come up in a past reading. Your past, or someones elses if you can get input on their past.

This works for a 3 month period, a 6 month period, and even over a 12 month period (or longer although I haven't tried this).

Choose one time period and shuffle and cut your cards while going over mentally what has occured over the past 3, 6, or 12 month period. Starting with the current month deal cards to the left for either 3, 6, or 12 months.

Example:
6 Month Past Reading
Deck Used: Universal Waite (UW)

........ 2003 ............. 2004 ................
.. 6 ...... 5 ...... 4 ..... 3 ..... 2 ..... 1 ...
. Oct .. Nov ... Dec .. Jan .. Feb .. Mar .

1 - 6 of Pentacles (Mar)
2 - 9 of Pentacles (Feb)
3 - 10 of Swords (Jan)
4 - 9 of Wands (Dec)
5 - Queen of Cups (Nov)
6 - 8 of Wands (Oct)

Let's say the person lost their job in December (card #4). Looking at the card in the UW deck the guy looks like he's defending what he has (left) so this could mean he/she has lost their job. So under possible meanings for the 9 of Wands you can add 'Possible loss of job'.

Lets say the person is still looking for work in Febuary. Looking at the 9 of Pentacles we find a lady leisurely wandering around in her garden with nothing to do. This also could mean s/he's wandering around that garden because s/he still hasn't found work. Under the 9 of Pentacles you might want to add, 'unemployed/looking for work'.

Lets us again say the the person finally found work in March and since the 6 of Pentacles came up and looks like someone who has hit the jackpot and is tossing money to the wind then you might add this meaning to the 6 of Pents, 'You found, or will find employment'.

A recent past reading is just another tool you might want to add to your tarot toolbox of goodies.

The above is an idea I adapted from the writings of John Gilbert. See: http://TarotInstitute.com
See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TarotNews/

Nitegoddess

Very interesting.. nodntap

I will have to try that one soon!

psy_nuhri07

a good spread. but d0 you think it's p0ssible t0 c also d future through that spread? i mean also putting cards on the right side of the past spread???

>psy nuhri

nodntap

psy_nuhri07 said:
a good spread. but d0 you think it's p0ssible t0 c also d future through that spread? i mean also putting cards on the right side of the past spread???

>psy nuhri

Yep, most certainly. But by reading the recent past you would then have a better idea what a card might mean in the future.

i.e. The 6 of Pents meaning you have, or will find employment in the past might give you a good indication of it's future meaning.

The examples I gave were all mundane examples. You could just as easily use the cards drawn in a past reading for spiritual meanings.

StellarMyst

About the "Clues from the Past Spread"

nodntap said:

One way you might consider trying to learn the tarot cards is by reading them in how they come up in a past reading. Your past, or someones elses if you can get input on their past.

This works for a 3 month period, a 6 month period, and even over a 12 month period (or longer although I haven't tried this).

Choose one time period and shuffle and cut your cards while going over mentally what has occured over the past 3, 6, or 12 month period. Starting with the current month deal cards to the left for either 3, 6, or 12 months.

Example:
6 Month Past Reading
Deck Used: Universal Waite (UW)

........ 2003 ............. 2004 ................
.. 6 ...... 5 ...... 4 ..... 3 ..... 2 ..... 1 ...
. Oct .. Nov ... Dec .. Jan .. Feb .. Mar .

1 - 6 of Pentacles (Mar)
2 - 9 of Pentacles (Feb)
3 - 10 of Swords (Jan)
4 - 9 of Wands (Dec)
5 - Queen of Cups (Nov)
6 - 8 of Wands (Oct)

Let's say the person lost their job in December (card #4). Looking at the card in the UW deck the guy looks like he's defending what he has (left) so this could mean he/she has lost their job. So under possible meanings for the 9 of Wands you can add 'Possible loss of job'.

Lets say the person is still looking for work in Febuary. Looking at the 9 of Pentacles we find a lady leisurely wandering around in her garden with nothing to do. This also could mean s/he's wandering around that garden because s/he still hasn't found work. Under the 9 of Pentacles you might want to add, 'unemployed/looking for work'.

Lets us again say the the person finally found work in March and since the 6 of Pentacles came up and looks like someone who has hit the jackpot and is tossing money to the wind then you might add this meaning to the 6 of Pents, 'You found, or will find employment'.

A recent past reading is just another tool you might want to add to your tarot toolbox of goodies.

The above is an idea I adapted from the writings of John Gilbert. See: http://TarotInstitute.com
See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TarotNews/

Hi nodntap,

I am new to this site, but not to Tarot Reading. I have been doing readings for myself and close friends for almost three years now (this being how long I've been Reading the Cards altogether). I was wondering if the months could be converted to years or 6-month periods at a time. From there if possible, utilizing that time you went back to as a secondary starting-point for the first steps?

--StellarMyst