Strength as how someone feels?

clarity

Could anyone give me advice for how to interpret Strength for how someone feels, especially in relationship readings. Is it positive? This has been coming up and I'm not sure how to interpret in this context.

Does this card usually signify that there is some kind of need for endurance or strong will to get through? That whatever the feelings are, there needs to be restraint or control? Or like a controlled devil where desires are not out of hand?

ironmama

strength

in my opinion, strength is strength..... always a positive card that makes me smile when i see it.
"the universe never gives you more than you can handle"

SunChariot

To me it just means he feels strong/the relationship makes him feel stronger or strenghens him in some way.

Bar

elvenstar

clarity said:
Does this card usually signify that there is some kind of need for endurance or strong will to get through? That whatever the feelings are, there needs to be restraint or control? Or like a controlled devil where desires are not out of hand?
I can see all of these as possible meanings for strength. If other cards hint at difficulties the first would fit like a glove. Restraint or control of feelings I would associate more with the chariot though.

Another aspect could be 'healthy passion' if you know what I mean :D. In the Thoth this card is named 'Lust' and the woman is riding the lion. I especially like your 'controlled devil' idea }) which I could see as conscious mind in harmonious balance with instincts and desires and to me represents perhaps the highest expression of this card.

clarity

elvenstar said:
Restraint or control of feelings I would associate more with the chariot though.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not sure I understand though, strength is not about restraining feelings then but about having feelings that are healthy unlike the Devil?

SunChariot

I agree with that, restraining feelings to me is also more about the Chariot.

To me the Strength card says that you will be or feel strong in the situation, or that it's a situation that requires strength of you and you will be up to it (strong enough to handle it), OR that it is a situation that strengthens you. In essence it just says that you will be strong.

Bar

ClareS

Confusing

I've had this for how someone feels about me too and don't understand it.

I guess they are feeling strong about the situation...

elvenstar

clarity said:
I'm not sure I understand though, strength is not about restraining feelings then but about having feelings that are healthy unlike the Devil?
My take on it is: The feelings themselves are not healthy or unhealthy, but how you deal with them may be the one or the other. If you surrender to a certain feeling or desire total power over you, that is the devil. If you fight it and try to keep in under control, that's the chariot. If you acknowledge it, incorporate its energy and it doesn't destroy your balance one way or another, that's strength.

Where does strength come from? More importantly, where does lack of strength come from? One answer is inner conflict and battle that drains our energy, different aspects of the self fighting each other rather then working together towards a common goal. Strength then comes when all of 'me', both the more primitive aspects represented by the lion and the 'higher' aspects personified in the maiden, are in peace with each other and all this energy can be used for a more useful purpose.

Edited to add: For example, if the person has powerful feelings for you and that is in agreement with their intellect, that would make them feel strong.

On a different note entirely, I just remembered something else. On one occasion, I have also seen the maiden and the lion as representing the two people in the relationship, with one being dominated by the other. The querent confirmed he did indeed feel this way. Strength, and the things we've all said so far, would then be the advice.

Tryska

i like seeing the strength card when it comes to feelings.

I always go back to Joan Bunnings idea of Soft Control vs. Hard Control.

Strength is soft control. It's handling the lion by giving it the respect due. Whereas the Chariot is running roughshod and exerting your will.

Both card are about getting what you want, and both have a sexual component, but they have different approaches.

The Chariot might be great sex, but i prefer being loved by Strength. ;)

Robin Fariel

Kundalini

Stength can be Kundalini or Sexual Energy. And since she comes after the Chariot, yes it does have the idea of control implicit though not as overt.

She is opening the beast's mouth so he can speak or express himself.

The interest you have in someone may lead to a relationship, or it may awaken some energy within either one of you in some other sort of activity.

Taking your Life Force and perhaps devoting it to a new hobby or past time that you enjoy.