Decks You Wish They'd Make Already

espearite

I'm not sure if there has been a thread like this, but I have had some wishful thinking about decks that are not published - not even concepts to my knowledge, either. I'm sure there are a lot of you out there that feel the same. I can think of a few decks that come to mind that I wish someone would take up the time to create and market. They have already created The Steampunk Tarot, a deck I've been hoping to see for 2 years now. Right now, I'd personally love to see some tarot decks of more modern miniseries or TV shows of a fantasy or science fiction type story, such as Dune or a larger Star Trek deck to include the other series (I'm such a geek, lol). Your listed decks could be from authors and teachers you admire as well as decks remade or extended, etc. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

shadowdancer

for me it is a lenticular deck. One orientation showing a 'regular' image.
Turn it 180 degrees so it is in effect a reversed card and you have a different image but related to the first. Could be a shadow image, reversed image, opposite interpretation - whatever.
This would make the 78 card deck in effect a 156 card deck but without having the extra bulk. Also, those who do like using reversals would have something of more substance.

Now THAT I would buy, if the artwork was up to what I look for in a deck anyways. Being modern(ish) technology I would see this working well with a modern day themed deck. Something akin to a hybrid of Bright Idea and Silicon Dawn.

Will we ever see such a deck?? Maybe. Needs an artist who is willing to create that many images, and a publisher who can produce it whereby the cost is not prohibitive so as to make it unviable.

frac_ture

for me it is a lenticular deck. One orientation showing a 'regular' image.
Turn it 180 degrees so it is in effect a reversed card and you have a different image but related to the first. Could be a shadow image, reversed image, opposite interpretation - whatever.
This would make the 78 card deck in effect a 156 card deck but without having the extra bulk. Also, those who do like using reversals would have something of more substance.

Now THAT I would buy, if the artwork was up to what I look for in a deck anyways. Being modern(ish) technology I would see this working well with a modern day themed deck. Something akin to a hybrid of Bright Idea and Silicon Dawn.

Will we ever see such a deck?? Maybe. Needs an artist who is willing to create that many images, and a publisher who can produce it whereby the cost is not prohibitive so as to make it unviable.

Like the Revelations Tarot? Is this the kind of thing you mean? Here are a few cards, and you can probably find more out on the 'net:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/revelations/

Some of the artwork looks too comic book-y in this deck to me (I love comics, and I love the stained glass look, but I don't know that they always go well hand in hand), but some of it is beautiful, too, so...I go back and forth on it, myself, but have been intrigued by it off and on.

Carla

I'd like an affordable mass market blinged RW, like the Illuminated. With glitter and everything. I'd buy it for sure, probably in jumbo, regular and pocket size!

sapienza

I'd like Robert Place to do a non-theme deck. Maybe just a full deck of the seven-fold mystery tarot.

frac_ture

This will almost certainly sound way too geeky, but my inner little kid would go nuts if Marvel or DC Comics put out a deck featuring a bunch of their characters in suitable Tarot roles (and I don't mean the cool Vertigo/Dave McKean stuff that I know is out there -- I'm talking about the far less hip but very archetypal super-heroes and super-villains and goofy cosmic beings and such that their stables are crammed full of...preferably leaning heavily on '70s stuff, and featuring art by guys like Gil Kane and Neal Adams). I would eat that kind of thing up with a spoon...

(ETA: I don't think either company has ever made such a thing, anyway...?)

nisaba

A clamshell two-deck set. In one half, a proper Tarot deck with artwork painted by Josh Kirby and Paul Kidby. In the other, a Cripple Mr Onion deck, by the same artists.

Grizabella

For the longest time I've thought it would be really cool to have a Tarot deck made with the kind of tattoo art typical of the art I've seen prisoners do because it's always so full of symbolism that you could get lost in each card. Not the gang stuff that's so popular these days but the old-time stuff that's like super-intricate that people used to sit and draw to while away the time and that they often then turned into tattoos.

Zephyros

An Old Testament Cecil B. DeMille type of deck. I know there are many New Testament decks, but couldn't find anything relating to the Old exclusively.