Temperance as feelings

leelee

I have read through some of the threads relating to the card Temperance and still cannot grasp how a person would feel if they drew the Temperance card.....My own key word is patience but patience really isn't a feeling at all..is it?? I also read it as merging but this is an action not a feeling

Could you please help me understand Temperance in this context..as how person A feels about person B..

I will continue to read through more threads and see what I can find :)

Thanks

Leeanne

SGrossberg

Perhaps this will also help:

I find that Temperance avoids excesses and seeks moderation. Under stress, however, Temperance becomes The Lovers and the sobriety of reasonableness provided by Temperance gives way to the passion of The Lovers.

In applying Temperance to a relationship (as in your example), I suggest that your Temperance Querent (A) seeks most to find whether her partner (B) provides balance in her (A's) life. A will seek to avoid excesses at all costs and will likely leave B if B cannot meet A's needs/wants/desires.

Just some quick thoughts. Enjoy the other threads. - Scott

Teheuti

For me, Temperance epitomizes compassion. Temperance recognizes that mistakes are made and the task is simply to learn from them and try again. Adjustments are made with no guilt or pity attached. Temperance can fluidly encompass all the opposites with no strain or need for dominance.

Teheuti

Here are the emotion words that people chose when doing my Tarot & Emotions Research Project. There was less agreement for this card then for most, yet the words are closely related ones. The number following the word shows the number of people who selected it.

calm (x7)
patient (x5)

cautious (x4)
peaceful (x4)
serene (x4)
accepting (x3)
complacent (x3)

ambivalent (x2)
compassionate (x2)
contented (x2)
expectant (x2)
interested (x2)
loving (x2)
respect (x2)

starrystarrynight

I think compassionate is a good word in this situation, and even further, acceptance...acceptance of the differences of the other and of the need to meld those differences with his own ideas/ideals, patience to do so, and then, again, to accept the union of what comes out of the merging of those ideas or beliefs.

For instance, the person you are asking about accepts your differing cultural or religious beliefs, and then, maybe even comes to the realization of an even-better belief which merges those seemingly disparate ideas together.

...Like mixing together eggs, sugar, butter and flour, waiting for them to bake together, and coming out with a pretty decent cake! (Unless you're me, and the thing falls in the middle...but not for lack of trying, anyway!)

Edited to add:

p.s. Since it is a trump card, my feeling is that it appears because the seeker needs to embrace the lesson of Temperance in the question he has asked about in order to move forward in the situation. So, he needs to feel this acceptance and patience with the person or situation...

tarotlyn

I think, here, it just simply means "calm" and "content"