The Book of English Magic

Le Fanu

(I know this isn't strictly Tarot, but I cannot think of where else to put it, and I think this would be of interest to many members here....)

The Book of English Magic by Philip Carr-Gomm (of Druid Craft/Plant & Animal Oracle) and Richard Heygate

I received this book for Christmas and I'm currently reading it and finding it absolutely fascinating. I though I'd recommend it here as I can imagine quite a few AT friends who would enjoy it as much as I am... It is such a beautifully laid out book with illustrations, engravings and extracts from other texts and is so accessible and easy to read. What I would call a "dipping into" book which doesn't need to be read from cover to cover (though I am starting from the beginning and working through).

I don't consider myself an expert on this subject at all and it is very comforting to read a thorough, serious book which isn't too technical and isn't too "touchy-feely New Agey". It neither explicitly believes or disbelieves, just recounts - like the title says - the History of English Magic.

It is organised into the following (broadly chronological) subjects;

Chapter 1; Ancient Roots; prehistoric magic (which I found fascinating for my Greenwood studies), ley lines, pendulums & dowsing.
Chapter 2; Magicians & Druids
Chapter 3; Anglo-Saxon Sorcery, i.e the "Dark Ages", shamanism, runes, charms and spells, the England which JRR Tolkein drew on for his Middle Earth saga.
Chapter 4; Merlin, King Arthur and the Holy Grail
Chapter 5; Witches (and witch trials), Warlocks and Spellcraft
Chapter 6; Alchemy
Chapter 7 is all dedicated to John Dee; "The Man who Conversed with Angels"
Chapter 8; Herbcraft, amulets, faeries and faerie lore
Chapter 9; Freemasons,
Chapter 10; the Rosicrucians & The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn
Chapter 11; "Opening Pandora's Box"; dedicated to The Tarot, Crowley, Dion Fortune, Atlantis Bookshop.
Chapter 12; The Magic Renaissance in the 21st Century
A final Appendix talks about how to be an "Armchair magician"!

What I most like about the book is that you don't have to be hugely informed about these subjects, and even if you are, it is interesting to see all these subjects in the context of all the other subjects. So you see tarot firmly in the context of English Magical History. It is all very accessible and there are so many of these themes which I never felt particularly comfortable with, like Druid Plant Lore, the Rosicrucians, Alchemy etc etc, but the approach of the authors makes all these subjects easy to read about so it doesn't assume any prioir knowledge. At the end of each chapter there are lists of "Things to do", with recommended reading, websites to visit, and practical things the reader can do if they want to delve deeper. Each chapter also contains extracts from books - Caitlin Matthews on Shamanism, interview with Alfred Douglas - so you get another perspective. Extracts from other books are printed in a lighter ink; when I first received the book, I thought I had a faulty copy with paler printing on certain pages, so do not be alarmed if you order a copy and think the same.

So many tarot decks have their roots in these themes; Merlin, Arthur, Alchemy, Druid Plants & Animals, and it is fascinating to see these themes in their rightful context.

The hardback has over 560 pages and is a very handsome volume; looks like a Grimoire. However, I have just seen that it is out in paperback also now, and not expensive, so there's no excuse!

rif

Thank you for this thoughtful review, Le Fanu.

I heard Philip Carr-Gomm speak about this book and its subject matter a couple of times via podcast, and he came across as both knowledgeable and personable. The book sounded like a nice reference to own. I'd completely forgotten about it until now. :) I'll have to go look it up, although purchase may wait until I hopefully move -- I have too many books to cart as it is! :)

Diorbhail

Interesting to hear your review Le Fanu. I too received a copy at Christmas but have not had a chance to look at it properly. Started to skim through it on Christmas Day but it was prised out of my hands as the family know what I'm like when I get into a book! :D So many distractions since then and so little time.......You've inspired me to make some time.....:thumbsup:

Sulis

I had this on my Amazon wishlist and thought that I was getting it for Yule but it turns out that my hubby has pre-ordered the paperback version.
Your wonderful review Le Fanu, has spurred me on to cancel the pre-order and go ahead and order the hardback edition. It should arrive later this week :).

Edited to add: The paperback version isn't released until April.

Wendywu

Interesting review Le Fanu - thank you :) Yet another one for the Amazon never ending book list.

baba-prague

Thanks for that Le Fanu. I got the book as a Christmas present to myself along with "Grimoires: A History of Magic Books" (about which I've read very good reviews). However, I tucked them both away and haven't begun them yet because I've been immersed in "The Annotated Alice" and promised myself I'd read that a couple of times first.

However, having read your review I think I'll treat myself to beginning the Philip Carr-Gomm this week. Sounds fab.

teomat

Thanks for the review Le Fanu - it sounds fascinating. When I first heard of this book, it made me think of the novel 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' - it sounded like a book inspired by the novel (or rather a book described FROM the novel).

Funds are scarce though at the moment, so I'll wait for the paperback.

inanna_tarot

Its an amazing book - so much knowledge so well put together and weaved into one book is just amazing!

One thing that annoys me about the Hardback version is how the articles written by contributers are in a very odd grainy grey text - which is just daft!! I hope this is cleared up in the paperback version, just to avoid people getting eye strain lol.

But I do wholeheartedly recommend it! Even the bit thats written about Tarot :D

Le Fanu

inanna_tarot said:
One thing that annoys me about the Hardback version is how the articles written by contributers are in a very odd grainy grey text - which is just daft!! I hope this is cleared up in the paperback version, just to avoid people getting eye strain lol.
I know! Everyone who picks the book up and flicks through, thinks it is faulty! I was about to return it to the shop...

blue_fusion

teomat said:
Thanks for the review Le Fanu - it sounds fascinating. When I first heard of this book, it made me think of the novel 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' - it sounded like a book inspired by the novel (or rather a book described FROM the novel).

Funds are scarce though at the moment, so I'll wait for the paperback.

And on the reverse side, and if I remember things right, the book Strange was working on was actually inspired by The History and Practice Of Magic (http://www.amazon.com/History-Practice-Magic-Lida-Churchill/dp/1564594718)