21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (& errata to book)

jmd

Moderating note: I have added this post in order to bring together at the top of the thread the information most are likely to search. The following are from contributions within the thread, allowing for ease of access.

The second imprint of the book has page 179 missing (instead it has p 175 repeated), so gregory has prepared a pdf for the sheet (pages 179/180):

(care of gregory - thankyou): pp 179 - 180 pdf

Mary Greer also mentions that page 269 has text missing from the two imprints (first and second), with the following errata:

page 269 - missing entry for the Sun (care of Mary - thankyou):
Major Arcana: Sun
Fool's Journey: We find joy and happiness
Archetypes: Divine Child, Reconciliation, Enlightenment
Hero's Journey: Crossing the threshold; (Reintegrating the boon)
Mythic Figures: Apollo, Helios, Phaëton, Zeus, Ra, Shemesh, Krishna, Rama, Vishnu, Legba, Lug, Amaterasu, all Divine Twins (Castor & Pollux, etc.)​
The same is also available as a pdf (thanks again gregory):

RubyRuby

21 ways to read a tarot card

This isn't really a thread about how great the book is. *wink* I'm actually looking for a favour. My book is missing page 179. Well actually, what should be 179 is 175, with 180 on the other side.

Can someone help me? I would love an email of a scan of the page.

Anyone?

Ruby

gregory

give me a wee while............. :D

Esee

seem like you have a "special" book.

gregory

Hot damn, so is mine !!! I hadn't got to there yet :D Maybe they are ALL like that. I shall e-mail Llewellyn now !

Sorry to have got your hopes up ....

AprilFool

I'll have to go home and look at mine. I just got it last week, so maybe it's a different printing.

gregory

I've e-mailed them,. But if anyone has the page, do post it here as an attachment... :D

Rosanne

I will scan- but it sounds like you are missing 176., 177, 178, +179. Am I correct? If you can't read it, I will type out page. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• 21stepsP179.jpg
    21stepsP179.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 206

Teheuti

Missing page 179

I just saw this thread. Eek, I can't believe Llewellyn would mess up like this. It's one of my favorite exercises! The first printing is okay. Here's the missing text:

For the Tower, the Fool and the Six of Wands, there is a Rapunzel-like scene in which the Fool leans out of a window in the Tower, offering a white rose to someone riding by on a horse (from the Six of Wands). Lightning strikes the mouth of the Fool. Soon after drawing this picture, the person left her marriage.

Activity 16:3
Part I: The Three-Card Drawing

Materials Needed:
•A standard white sheet of paper
•Crayons in lots of colors
•A three-card spread
•A 20-minute time limit (which can be extended, if desired)

Take the three cards and move them around, changing their order, stacking them in a pyramid, and even overlapping them. Watch for something to catch your eye. Imagine that the borders dissolve so that they all inhabit the same environment. Does a particular background dominate? What person, form or structure comes foreword? Can an object from one card be used in another?

Begin your drawing as soon as you get a hint of an image or theme—don’t wait for the full picture. It will emerge in its own way. Let elements surprise you. You can use light colored crayons to sketch in stick figures, adding definitive lines, details, expressions and clothing later.

You don’t have to use all the people and objects. Sizes of things can grow or shrink. Scenes can overlap. The ‘correct’ number of suit markers (cups, wands, etc.) does not have to be maintained, although they can be. Sometimes the images form a sequence of events; beware, however, of falling into the trap of illustrating each card in its own space, which this process seeks to transcend. You want to end up with a single, integrated drawing, although it can have several parts to it.

Mary

Rosanne

It does not look clear to me. I am computer dumb so I have no idea how to make it clear with it becoming to big to post here so I will type it out.

For the Tower, the Fool, and the six of Wands, there is a Rapunzel-like scene in which the fools leans out of a window in the tower, offering a white rose to some riding by on a horse (from the Six of Wands). Lightening strikes the mouth of the Fool. Soon after drawing this picture, the person left her marriage.
ACTIVITY 16:3
PART 1: The Three-Card Drawing
Materials needed:
* A standard white sheet of paper.
* Crayons in lots of colours
* A three-card spread
* A Twenty minute time limit(which can be extended, if desired)
Take the three cards and move them around, changing their order, stacking them in a pyramid, and even overlapping them. Watch for something to catch your eye. I magine the borders dissolve so that they all inhabit the same enviroment. Does a particular background dominate? What person, form, or structure comes forward? Can an object from one card be used in another?

Begin your drawing as soon as you get a hint of an image or theme-don't wait for the full picture. It will emerge in its own way. Let the elements surprise you. You can use light coloured crayons to sketch in stick figures, adding definitve lines, details, expressions and clothing later.

You don't have to use all the people and objects. Sizzes of things can grow or shrink. Scences can overlap. The "correct" number of suit markers (cups, wands, etc) does not have to be maintained, although they can be. Sometimes the images form a sequence of events; beware however, of falling into the trap of illustrating each card in its own space, which this process seeks to transcend.

Rosanne pp Mary Greer