Just bought the Navigators of the Mystic SEA

gregory

LittleBuddha said:
I had looked at this deck before. Saw it second-hand and passed up on it because of my dislike of borders and keywords.
LB - another new enthusiasm ? In you, this always seems scary. What happened to the "I am damn well going to learn to love one deck and bond with it" ?? (Seriously...)
I now await the "I have really gone off it" Navigators thread....

Little Baron

gregory said:
LB - another new enthusiasm ? In you, this always seems scary. What happened to the "I am damn well going to learn to love one deck and bond with it" ?? (Seriously...)
I now await the "I have really gone off it" Navigators thread....

I decided I suited other ways of life than just monogamy, haha.

But in recent times, decks I have purchased have been bought to accustom one system - the playing card system that I have been using. The China, Deva, 1JJ and various Marseille, when I read now, all are part of that. So in that sense, it doesn't matter which I pick out of the bundle. They all satisfy the same need. Just different looks for different occasions and querants.

This, on the other hand, was something different. While in the shop, I was looking at pip decks to see if I could adapt them to my system. If the cards carry too much of their own imagery or the imagery does simply not fit with the 'keywords' and feelings I have for each card, then it is pointless. I was looking at the 'Hermetic' and 'Old English', as examples. Also a few others. The 'Renaisance', I think. But the pictures in these jarred quite heavily with the system that I planned to use them with, so they were no-goes.

But here, this was just a casual interest. A seed that had been laid by Moonbow a few years passed. And looking again afresh, I considered that I would have to learn them as they were set to be learned [kind of], and in that, I felt an excitement that I have not felt in a while. So for good old readings for others [which I plan on doing when I get back from Paris, at a friend's house], I will turn up with the Deva, 1JJ and China. All will get the same treatment. But for myself, for reflection, until I know it well, will be this one. I have not used an illustrated deck for some time. So really, this is a bit of a departure for me right now.

I love the images. I really do. It reminds me of the great relationship I had with my 'Tarot of the Ages' [which is very special because of the intensity and length of time I spent with it]. The only thing that might kill this beautiful friendship is if the book continues to frustrate. Maybe I should take my own advice and just get to know the deck alone. Do you think?

I learnt a good few years ago that I could make love to more than one man at the same time and still feel the intensity for both. Now I am learning that I can apply the same theory to tarot decks, lol.

LB

Moonbow

Now here I am trying to get my head (and its a flu-y one too), around the William Blake Tarot, and I'm enticed by this thread and several PMs.

Here's my favourite card in the deck:

http://www.navigatorstarot.com/queen_of_pentacles.php

I've said allot to littlebuddha by PM already. I love this deck and never get tired of it because the cards have so much going on in them, and yet some are very subtle (I don't mean the colours). The book is a must for understanding the symbols in the cards but other than that I find the deck better used in any way that suits the individual. What is fun about this deck is that I can stare at a card, think about it, meditate over it and find meanings which match the imagery which I then never forget, its as though the meanings implant themselves deeply in my mind. Perhaps its the colours that do it.

If you don't have the large book, it is interesting to look at the head gear, arm bands etc and other items of clothing have small symbols in them too.

I can see why you would like this deck littlebuddha, because it really does open up a creative imagination. I also think that is perhaps why you change decks quite often. As a creative person in a market where change, and new ideas is essential, it must keep you on your toes at everything you are involved with.

Don't know how I saw this thread a day late!

6 Haunted Days

Over the years I have always paused and looked intently when this deck crossed my path, but never bought it. The art is just so.....strange, uncanny and shockingly exquisite. So when I saw it for sale in the trading forum for only $15 for the set (brand new) and I knew it was now OOP, I snatched it up, just because. Also it kept following me around.

That was 2 months ago and I get it out often and look through the maze of colour and images, but am always hesitant to buckle down and read with it. Overwhelming? Seems too complicated? The colours and art is 10x more striking holding it in my hands. Palable energy and dynamism. Perhaps it just seems like a whole new system and so I put it back on the shelf until I feel that mysterious tugging/craving as I think to myself "Let me dig that deck out again and get lost in that strange disturbing realm".

*sigh* I've heard many times reading over the few threads on this deck that though one doesn't read with it much, they would never part with it. After owning it now 2 months, I would never get rid of it either. I am doing a pretty intense study of the DruidCraft at the moment, but perhaps later I shall get the deck and book out and really have a deeper and prolonged look-see :).

Anyone out there doing a quiet study of this deck? Who here loves these images/colours? I would love to hear your thoughts and intuitions about it!

Debra

Well, oddly enough, I just learned last week that my yoga partner is an old friend of Julia Turk, the deck's designer. The deck copyright has passed to the artist (one of the few in the Universe to get away from US Games with the copyright in her own name) but I gather that while she does have a website, she's not marketing it very vigorously. Supposedly US Games lost the books that went with the deck, so Turk is now distributing a CD with the deck instead of the book. She painted these as a SAILOR--the Navigators is something she meant seriously. Also, she has had many of the images printed onto fabric. I've seen them, and they're stunning. My friend has been designing elaborate fabric art frames for them--they are stunning--and intends to sell them.

That's what I know. There's some synchronicity here.

Here's Julia Turk's web site: http://www.navigatorstarot.com/

Debra

Did I just write "stunning" three times in a row? Minus ten points for thoughtlessness. Get thee to a thesaurus, girl!

6 Haunted Days

Wow they are stunning!! (lol on the redundant adjective, we all do that!) I really want those prints. *drool* I am really struck by the Fire and Terra mystic prints.

Yes, she has led a very fascinating life hasn't she? I've been to her website but most of the links don't work. :( There is that mention of a book on the pips "The Navigator's Dream: Vol I: Riverlog", but....can't find a thing on it anywhere. Do you own the book? Just wondering how it reads and what it contains. It sounds superb. Is it fiction, incorporating the pips in a story?

She's 72 now, is her health ok? What a visionary. And her inspiration create this deck was very unusual!

ETA: I was going to mention it says on her site, that she moved to CA and did odd jobs and cleaning to make $300 a month to cover costs while she painted the cards and wrote the book.....I love stories like that!

Debra

I don't have the book and actually I don't have the deck, although I'm tempted to buy one of those four-card cloths, myself. She doesn't live here any more; I believe she's back on the East Coast. I'll see if I can find out more. I like the look of the deck BUT....I can't figure out what is what. It's such a personal esoteric vision, I don't have any way to squeeze myself into the images.

Quester

I have the book and deck and have had for several years, but I have never taken the time needed to study them. After reading this I intend to give it another try. The cards have a completely different energy than most of my decks do...a nice energy mind you, just different.