New Mary-el Card

FearfulSymmetry

Strange2 said:
On the 5 of Swords, I noticed with interest the other hand that she is grasping. Is this the hand of the father of the child (Adam, the 5 of Disks)?

Yes!
I really wanted it linked to the 5 of Disks. It's funny because I didn't notice or remember until way later that in the 6 of Swords the children are holding hands in the same way. I think it is cool because I feel like the 6s are archetypal for what happens in the 5s as if they are out of time, something that happens on a spiritual plane before it is created on the physical plane. This would be true if you compare them to the Kabbalistic tree of life where 6 is central to everything.

I also thought all of the life in that card, the owls, the baby and the link to the 5 of Disks showed a quiet but strong support system even when you might feel alone. Support from your family even if they don't appear there and spiritual maybe ancestral support.

Thanks Strange2:)

Marie

sweet_intuition

I just wanted to say that I have absolutely fallen in love with this deck. I'm at a loss of words to describe the impact it's had on me... the mesmerizing artwork with it's hypnotic tones are visually, as well as, intuitively powerful. I especially love the Devil card as I feel that is a very unique way of representing that card (which is one of my favorites cards in the Tarot), I could spend hours swimming within the deep symbolic waters in that card.

Langustl

I also like yor cards very much, FearfulSymmetry :) ! Very unusual, personal and interesting stile ;)

Alamaris

Your paintings are absolutely stunning, FearfulSymmetry! I've been enraptured with the images for quite a while now, having discovered your site entirely by accident; the images have touched me deeper than any other artwork in my life. I can't wait for the deck to be finished so I can buy a copy (or two ;) ) and I just had one question...I see you have 11(?) cards left to finish, and I was wondering if you had an approximate "this is when I might be done" projection date.

Thank you for creating this amazing deck!

MonoAzul313

Hi! I'm joining this thread a bit late, but just wanted to add my voice to the crowd in congratulating and admiring your work. The five of swords is just gorgeous, and your style overall is enchanting and moody.
Can't wait to see more!

philebus

I would like to add my voice here. A beautiful and original work of art - I very much look forward to seeing this published.

Elnor

What a beautiful deck! I love your style of painting- very evocative.

That Five of Swords is stunning- the owls are amazing.
I'll go back and read the entire thread, so I don't ask a question that someone else may have already asked.

elnor

VGimlet

I just have to add - whenever I want to show someone the art of the Tarot, I bring out this deck. :D

It has never failed to awe even the uninitiated.

FearfulSymmetry

Thank you all, I am seriously at a loss for words...

I have added another card today, the 7 of Wands.

http://www.mary-el.com/7wands.html

The White Wolf is inspired by Plato’s allegory of the soul in Phaedrus.

Plato describes a Chariot drawn by 2 winged horses as an allegory of the soul. A white horse which is noble and well bred and a black horse which is ignoble and ill bred. The white horse is the moral part of our souls and the black is the dark side, wild and passionate. The charioteer uses reason to balance them and steer them on a singular course to enlightenment.

In the Mary-el Chariot card the chariot is drawn by wolves and so wolves will feature in the 7 of Wands and Cups. Wolves are a spiritual brother to humankind with a complex community, behaviors and instincts. The white wolf, akin to the white horse, represents morality, valor, goodness, the will of the soul. The 7 of Cups is going to follow as the black wolf representing animal appetites, passions and the will of the body.

You might notice that the eyes are an unusual color for a wolf. I chose emerald green to represent the center color of the rainbow, lying evenly between infra-red and ultra-violet. Often in myths and visions the throne of God is green or made of emerald. Green is also the beautiful color of life on earth, of sustenance derived from the goodness of the Sun.

Another important inspiration for this card is the companion wolves of Odin - Geri and Freki which mean fierceness and gluttony. The white wolf would be fierceness. Odin’s companion ravens Huginn and Muninn, thought and memory, are going to grace the 7 of Swords and Disks. The ravens will also have a connection to Towers (1+6 = 7) completing the circuit of Tower and Chariot.

Ravens and wolves are known to hunt together.

There is a lot of information regarding the symbolism of wolves, ravens, chariots, color, rainbows, towers and so on that I hope to explain and explore much more completely in the future.

Marie

thorhammer

Marie, I love the eyes! And your explanation of the symbolism (one of my passions!) is so very evocative and soooo exciting - thanks so much for sharing! It's wonderful to be able to follow your progress, and so many of us are breathlessly awaiting your work!

\m/ Kat