View Single Post
Citizen

caridwen 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotrose

Lust/Strength seems to celibrate that animal wisdom -- the wisdom of our desire, of what brings us pleasure, of listening to our "animal" nature. Where in Rider-Waite the pure young woman tames the wild beast, in Thoth, the wild nature of the woman allows her to work with the beast.

What do you think?
I think that's a very interesting post However, I'm wondering if she's working with the beast or riding it and in a sense controlling it? It's interesting to compare Ishtar with the image. Ishtar is a Babylonian goddess associated with love, fertility, sex and prostitution. In the Epic of Gligamesh, she is described as having

"...loved the lion tremendous in strength: seven pits you dug for him, and seven. You have loved the stallion magnificent in battle, and for him you decreed the whip and spur and a thong [...] You have loved the shepherd of the flock; he made meal-cake for you day after day, he killed kids for your sake. You struck and turned him into a wolf; now his own herd-boys chase him away, his own hounds worry his flanks."

Ishtar not only descends into the underworld and is reborn but has a sun god as lover in similar vein to Aphrodite's Adonis and again she is also known as Inanna whose lover was Dumuzi. Her symbol is a lion which she is often depicted standing on a lion's back. She is a dynamic force for change who has the final word on what will manifest for humankind.

The antichrist is also described as having seven heads:

"...saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. [2] And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion..." Rev. 13:1-2
Top   #20