Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

fluffy

*fluffy tugs at her hair*

I'm struggling already, I want to order my tarot that I am waiting from from Poland from Tarotgarden instead and use it for the IDS, but really it is too expensive and I love the secret forest! - give me strength to continue.......

By the way KoW I am in on the reading circle!

Love weak and feeble-minded fluffy
xxx

sapienza

fluffy said:
*fluffy tugs at her hair*

I'm struggling already, I want to order my tarot that I am waiting from from Poland from Tarotgarden instead and use it for the IDS, but really it is too expensive and I love the secret forest! - give me strength to continue.......

By the way KoW I am in on the reading circle!

Love weak and feeble-minded fluffy
xxx

Hang in there fluffy....you can do it! You have lots of support here and it will all be worth it in the end. I thought last night I'd have a final look through a few of my favourite decks and I was filled with doubt about whether I could (or whether I wanted to) continue with this.....and we haven't even started yet. But I looked through my Alchemical deck and realised I really do want to get to know this deck well and that helped. It is difficult though, especially when you've been on a binge of tarot buying and browsing for a few years. Thats why this is such a great idea....we're all in it together.

I also love the reading circle idea and look forward to joining in when I get myself organised :)

Promise

I think this is the hard part...where you're starting to panic and wonder exactly what you've gotten yourself into and why you thought this was a good idea and what if you can't do it and what if a three-legged elephant crashes through your garden wall and stomps your deck into oblivion. It will get easier as time goes by; you'll start to create a bond with your chosen deck and it will begin to open up to you, and all the reasons for doing this IDS will become more clear and worthwhile.

In the beginning, I was horribly panicked about whether or not I'd chosen the right deck, and whether or not I could handle the time-frame I'd given myself, but once I stopped THINKING and started FEELING, it all seemed to make sense in my mind.

I've been working exclusively with my Bohemian Gothic for the past few days, simply getting to know it and letting it get to know me. There's been lots of just idle shuffling and meditating on specific cards and simply admiring the art and love and time that went into this deck, and I feel that already, the bond is beginning to form. The more time I spend with it, the less I'm tempted to reach for another deck.

I've realized that I often used the option of having multiple decks to use as a crutch; you know, "Oh, this deck isn't vibing me today, it gave me horrid cards, I'll just grab another deck and start over." I feel that being absolutely committed to one deck will make me a better reader in the long run, because it will force me to read the cards as they come, and not just push them aside and draw from a new deck.

I know that to some people, they're just pieces of paper with pretty pictures on them, but over time, I've begun to see my decks as living, breathing life forms that deserve respect and care and love, just like we do. Garbage in is garbage out, and it's my belief that if I put faith and trust in my abilities as a reader and in the strength of my chosen deck to tell me what I need to know, then I'll get the same back.

sapienza

Promise said:
II've realized that I often used the option of having multiple decks to use as a crutch; you know, "Oh, this deck isn't vibing me today, it gave me horrid cards, I'll just grab another deck and start over." I feel that being absolutely committed to one deck will make me a better reader in the long run, because it will force me to read the cards as they come, and not just push them aside and draw from a new deck.

Well said Promise. I feel the same way :)

tarot4fun

missycab said:
I changed my avatar to match my IDS of the Thoth!! :D
Sharman-Caselli Empress~ :royal:

:heart:

lilith_in_tree

Promise, brilliant post. ;)

And poor fluffy, don't tear your hair out! I think it's perfectly normal to have some doubts right now, this is a new experience that is definitely going to test you, and that can be scary. I think Promise is absolutely right about sometimes using multiple decks as a crutch--you let yourself off the hook that way. If you don't like what the cards are saying, you can blame the cards, it's got nothing to do with you. But if it's just you and the deck, it's much harder to get away from the truth.
And committing yourself to a study like this is also scary--it would be easy to just give in, get a new and shiny deck, keep flitting around on the surface and never going deep, but would that really make you happy or a better reader in the long run? I don't think it would. You say you love your deck--give it the chance to love you back.
I hope none of that came across as harsh, I just want to help :D

rwcarter

Gotta figure out how to do that avatar thingy. The skeleton of my journal is all done. Now it's just waiting for me to put info into it. And I'm almost finished the box that I made to house the Ancient Egyptian Tarot. Another couple of coats of varnish (maybe tonight, but prob not) and it's good to go. I'll post a pic in the Making Tarot boxes thread when I get a chance. This was definitely the Murphy's Law box, so it may end up getting made a second time during the IDS.

Rodney

Faolainn Storm

cybercat said:
I was just thinking about doing this with my new deck and here I read this thread so I would like to join with Tarot of Dreams deck.

Welcome Cybercat. So pleased to see someone else will be using the Tarot of Dreams! :) :grin: :D It is such a magnificent deck, and really deserves an indepth study.

Faolainn Storm

ETA: Promised to show everyone my journal and guide book cover so here they are:

Guidebook and Journal Covers
Journal pledge

thorhammer

Phew! I go away for 22 hours and there's so much to catch up on!

KoW - go for your life with the reading circle! As long as no moderator has objections to it, what a brilliant idea! I'm a bit past the whole reading circle thing, so please don't take it personally if I don't join in on a regular basis, although I might pop up now and then!

I'm just about to make some changes to the OP, to include some new starters - so welcome to:

Llynn ~ Druidcraft/Druid Animal Oracle
MysticalMoose ~ Llewellyn
cybercat ~ Tarot of Dreams

\m/ Kat