Camoin Method: Example for analysis - Aoife

Paul

Aoife said:
The cards:

..........La Lune

..........Le Bateleur reversed..........L'Etoille..........Le Soleil

..................Past..........................Present...........Future
I'll make an image of this spread, soon, once it is finished...

Couple of needs for the spread. :)
Le Bateleur needs a card to its left, for when it is uprighted. Follow the gazes or reversal/solutions as needed.
One finishes a row before laying out the next; that is to say, work out all gazes (reversed and upright-- you will "imagine" the reversed cards uprighted to see where a gaze takes you, so as to get the whole spread on the table).

~ The 20th Rule states that cards can be placed on either side of La Lune to give information about the two personages on the left and right.
I drew:
...........La Force reversed...... La Lune....... XIII reversed
True, but this is an optional rule. Optional rules are typically done once one has already been interpreting the spread and it would seem that applying on of the optional rules would clarify something.
But, Camoin does not recommend such optional rules for beginners. As people are getting used to this method, too much gazing and twisting can obfuscate the answer. So, typically, La Lune has no regards.

But, since you went there ;): You will need a card to the left of La Force for its current reversed-gaze, and to the right of XIII when that card is uprighted. Follow any gazes. If these placed-cards are reversed, work out the gazes and then the solution cards on top.
I prefer to get the whole spread out there and then look at the spread.
You will need solution cards for La Force and XIII, but always work out the row beneath the next, first.

To develop the reading:
- would you apply solution cards to the two reversed cards?
or
yes
- would you leave them reversed and place a card to the left of La Force to see what she is regarding?
yes, always follow gazes, reversed or upright. But, all reversed cards are eventually uprighted. So, imagine all reversed cards in a row uprighted and follow any gazes imagining the gazes that result from uprighting the card (this becomes quite simple with practice). Then, apply the solution cards to the next row.
A solution card is always upright and always goes above a reversed card. If a solution card regards a direction, then that card can certainly be drawn as is, upright or reversed.
This is why one gets the rows done layer by layer, because you need to know what's reversed on a bottom layer so you know which solution cards are needed.

Wow! I know this all seems hopelessly complicated, but it gets actually really smooth and simple once you get the rules down.

- leaving them reversed, would you apply the 17th Rule and place a card to the right of XIII reversed - to give a sense of who the head represents?
gotta look at the 17th rule, don't know much about that "head" representing thing. But, when the card is uprighted, the skeleton will regard a card to the right.

Lee

Here's my take. Aoife, I hope you don't mind, but I'm omitting (at least for now) XIII, Le Monde, and La Roue, so I can keep it simple for myself. In fact I even turned L'Hermite, La Force and L'Amaoureux face down so I can focus on the four starting cards at first.

Le Bateleur reversed clearly indicates work-gone-bad. La Lune as the solution indicates that you can get enough sleep (or, less literally, enough rest) so that you have the mental energy to more clearly see and solve the problem. L'Etoille shows you giving back some of the workload so that you're not overburdened. And Le Soleil shows the improved situation, with more communication with others involved so that you can continue the new mode of work but without taking on so much that you get burned out.

I see "vessels" as the main symbolic theme in these four cards. In Le Bateleur, the vessels are the cups on his table, as well as the bag. He's taken on so many vessels that they've overweighted his table and flipped it over. In L'Etoille, she's emptying two of the vessels back into the sea because she knew she had too many. In Le Soleil, the two children are standing in a huge vessel (whose rim is the wall). They're actually standing on the surface of the water, showing that they can inhabit the vessel (i.e. the new work environment) without being submerged.

Le Bateleur Reversed isn't closely examining his vessels -- he's distracted by the pretty girl in L'Etoille, and he's taken his eyes off the ball, so to speak. The solution, La Lune, shows a closer examination of what's in the vessels, sort of a close-up of one vessel, showing an interesting creature in its depths.

With Le Bateleur uprighted, I now turn face-up L'Hermite Reversed. Now that Le Bateleur has had some sleep, he can now see that inner conflict in his past has led to the recent dilemma. L'hermite is focused on and is examining the upright Bateleur's feet. He's too eager to leave the then-current work situation -- "These boots are made for walking," he's saying. The now-uprighted Le Bateleur, on the other hand, is looking at L'hermite's hand which is holding his cane. The hand is blue, suggesting that he's unaware (blue for unconscious) of the amount of support he's getting from the then-present work environment.

Solving L'Hermite Reversed is La Force, which ties in with the Bateleur/La Lune combo. Getting enough rest (La Lune) enables you to take the situation in hand and thus upright both L'Hermite and Le Bateleur. Interestingly, the woman in La Force gazes at the crayfish while the Moon and the lion gaze at each other, showing how getting enough rest and solving one's problems are intimately interrelated.

L'Hermite uprighted regards L'Amoureux, indicating communication and cooperation, providing a nice symmetry with Le Soleil, also communication, at the other end of the row.

ETA: I've made an image of this spread and attached it to this post.

Attachments

• Aoife's Camoin Reading.jpg
    Aoife's Camoin Reading.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 245

Paul

I'll throw in some comments. Some of the cards would best be understood by dialoging with you, because I believe that the type of work you are talking about are perhaps reflected in the cards. This is true of any reading, the dialogue with the querent is important. But, we shall adjust to a forum environment.

Here's my summary, so far:

6 months ago you made a choice (VI-Lamoureux; the number 6 is interesting).
You made a bid (XI La Force, or asserted yourself) to deal with long term burnout in your work (VIIII L'Hermite/reversed + I Le Bateleur/reversed) by changing your work (XVIII La Lune-- there's something in this card in regards to the type of your work, no? Otherwise, XI + XVIII is more simply you trying to find invigoration (XI) in your psychology (XVIII). So that's the PAST section of the spread.

This wasn't working (on either side of La Lune, which is the decision to change or the new type of work) we have two competing forces: XI La Force, which is your original assertion to try and invigorate (lion) yourself, and XIII reversed which is stagnation, putrefaction, etc. So, this again mirrors your situation. That is to say, your "solution" was not invigorating, but led to another problem (XIII).

We fix the problem of XIII-reversed by X-La Roue. This could mean taking control of something, turning the wheel. So, a passive response to only "deal with" the situation may not be advised here. I compare XVII-Le Toille upwards with X-La Roue using beginning of line and end of line vertically. The water is interesting here, in both cases, it is pertrubed or rippled, so to speak, as if to say you taking action to change the FLOW.

That's as far as I have gotten, gotta go for a bit, back to my day job.

:)

Paul

Paul

Le Soleil is often communication, indeed.
But, often cards are understood in relation to each other.
In this case, Le Monde sits above Le Soleil just begging to be related to Le Soleil. (Also, there's the Law of Columns! ;)) The fact that Le Monde ended up over Le Soleil suggests a columnar answer. Also, both sit in the Future column.

Using an Optical analogy-theme approach, so not looking at the prescribed meaning of the cards, but more their artistic feel: The two children are 2 in number, close, intimate, then the scene expands into a fuller panoply in Le Monde with you in the center and with 4 personnages neatly situated around.

Quite simply, there is expansion here of your work that is called for, or rather diversification is needed. Le Soleil suggests whatever you took on became too much your focus. Interestingly, even the "book" meaning of Le Monde might suggest expansion or diversification.

This may be confirmed in La Roue, which is turning of the wheel (suggesting not adjusting to your current situation so much as taking your destiny into your hands) so as I suggested earlier with the FLOW, changing the flow or composition of your work. But La Roue is also mirroring the theme of Variety--the card certainly shows animals of unique interest and the wheel turns, bringing variety. The water remains perturbed, rippled, active. So, you need variety.

Finally, it is interesting that Le Soleil is not reversed, suggesting that what you took on is not exactly the problem, per se, it's just that there's not other things to do. So, you are being advised to not kick to the curb what you are doing now, but diversify it.

Anyway, I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Paul

Why I wasn't as enamored with the "communication" motif is that is wasn't repeated (Law of Duality/Two). I couldn't reconcile communication with Le Monde, but I could reconcile one-pointed-ness with expansion.

I forgot to mention that the beginning of line (VI) moves to end of line (XVIIII) but that the end of line is really more accurately XXI. So, the story goes from hesitation/choice/negotiation to more focused work to expansion of work.

But, the communication idea resonated with you. So, it seems spot on.

Lee

I'm very pleased that you found it helpful, Aoife!
Paul said:
Why I wasn't as enamored with the "communication" motif is that is wasn't repeated (Law of Duality/Two). I couldn't reconcile communication with Le Monde, but I could reconcile one-pointed-ness with expansion.
Paul, wouldn't L'Amoureux and Le Soleil count as a repeating of the communication motif? They both show people relating with each other on a normal, everyday level (I believe they're the only two cards in the deck that show that), and to reinforce it, they're at either end of a line.

Paul

Lee said:
Paul, wouldn't L'Amoureux and Le Soleil count as a repeating of the communication motif? They both show people relating with each other on a normal, everyday level (I believe they're the only two cards in the deck that show that), and to reinforce it, they're at either end of a line.

Good point Lee.
I guess I was thinking about not seeing the theme repeated in the future position and its cards.

So, combining both of the theories, this spread could be saying that she needs to communicate more assertively (VI --> XVIIII) her needs for more variety (XXI).