Interpreting Minors in Marseilles Decks

Melanchollic

Giving in to Vague Generalizations

Melanchollic said:
It's something else that traditional pips offer us - a fluid structure. I mean a general set of energies defined by suit and number that we can work with, and apply to our querent's situation, without having to limit ourselves to a single 'set' meaning.

To illustrate this principle in action, I'll offer up M's Rule of Thumb #1-

Work your way from the outside in.

By this I mean start with the general and move toward the specific, but only penetrate as far as needed. If the generalized is clear, don't confuse yourself with the sometimes contradictory specifics. Keep it simple if you can, but have the knowledge to probe further if need be...

The first generalization I'd make would be on the nature of the suits.

*Some Sweeping Generalizations About the Suits*

Swords - The instrument of war. Emblematic of man's aggressions and power of rule, discord, strife, hence generally speaking 'BAD'.

Batons - The instrument of agriculture and husbandry. Emblematic of labour and productivity. Not necessarily malefic, but laborious, arduous, fatiguing, hence not much fun, thus in general, 'MILDLY BAD'.

Coins - The medium of trade, security, material comforts, so 'MILDLY GOOD'.

Cups - The instrument of giving and receiving drink. Emblematic of sociability, pleasure, and the forming of bonds and alliances (holy union, marriage, etc.) 'GOOD'.

EXAMPLE - A man asks about buying a vintage '65 Ford Mustang.

The card representing 'our man' is a COIN. The card representing 'the car' is a BATON. He is mildly enthusiastic, and the car mildly bad, most likely being a laborious effort. He wants the car, but is not that into it. He also may be 'fond of comfort,' meaning lazy (the number of the card would verify that). So, the car is probably a bad idea, because it will be a laborious undertaking that may not suit his casual interest and attitude.

Now, if we want to go a bit deeper, we can look at 'number'. Yet even here, start from the outside and work in.

*Some Sweeping Generalizations About Numbers*

ODD...........................EVEN

indivisible........................divisible

singular.............................plural

right..................................left

male...............................female

active.............................passive

direct.............................indirect

fluctuating..........................stable​

Now all you bookworms out there will recognize this is Aristotle's Table of Opposition from The Metaphysics. Some may notice I've switch 'fluctuating' and 'stable'. I'll just point that out, and say, both ways have their pros and cons.

Now, I must say, that is a lot of goodies for the 'toolbox'. These can be used at opportune times, if the context is right.

EXAMPLES:

#1 "Will Sandy leave her rich boyfriend and come back to my loving, but unemployed, arms?" Sandy's significator is the 5 of COINS. The suit is comfy, the 5 is odd, thus indivisible (hard to divide)... Don't hold your breath. ;)

#2 "Am I the only girl Mr. Wonderful is seeing right now?" Mr. W's significator is the 9 of CUPS, which is odd, thus singular. Yes, you're the only girl he's seeing, and he really enjoys your company (cups).

#3 "I have a big job interview next Friday. What's the best strategy for getting the job?" The querent's significator is the 6 of COINS, the interviewer's significator is the 9 of COINS. The interviewer's card is odd, hence direct and active, the querent's card is even, so he should probably stay passive and be submissive... Time to kiss some a$%#.

#4 "Surprise, surprise... My mother-in-law has stopped by for an unexpected visit! How long will I have to put up with her!?" Her significator is the 5 of Batons. It's odd, so it's fluctuating. She won't be around too much longer.

HOW NOT TO USE THIS!! - A NEGATIVE EXAMPLE

"Is Mary the gal for me?" Mary's significator - 3 of CUPS, hence male. "Sorry, but the love of your life is really a man!" We can't do this!! No. no, no... CONTEXT is essential. ;)

So, without really considering any 'specific' meanings for our suits, or any specific 'numerological' meanings for our pips, we've still been able to answer a few questions with just generalizations. Of course, sometimes we'll have to go a bit deeper and pull out more specialized tools from the ol' toolbox (dignities, Picatrix, Iamblichus, the Kinks ;) ).

By definition, generalizations are what would generally hold true, they are given greater weight and should be considered before specifics, which deal, obviously with a specific aspect of a situation.

It's kind of like those online maps, where you can zoom in and out. If you begin zoomed way down, and you don't know the general area, forget it. You have to zoom out get the overview and work your way down to the specifics of the thing.

So, there it is, for whatever its worth. M's Rule of Thumb #1 (Of many...)

:CL Cheers,

Mel

Hooked on TdM

That is great M! Nice and clear too. Thanks a bunch. :)

Hooked

Kircher Tree

Melanchollic:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is very excellent and well presented.

Frelkins said:
Again, I'd like to see a practical use of Iamblichus in a reading.
Please allow me to probe a little bit in line with Frelkins' question:

In your examples you have 5, 6 and 9. (Corrupt and badly translated Iamblichus cheatsheet has "Life Mediacy", "Perfection", and "Limit End", respectively.)

So, regarding the Job Interview question which draws 6 Coins (applicant) and 9 Coins (interviewer):

This sounds like a really great draw for the situation, since coins are ultimately what we are after. Would it be out of line to tell the applicant that their interview might go "perfectly" (6)? (Would build confidence, I'm sure...) Is it possible that the person conducting the interviews is at their "limit end"(9)? (In other words, they have done so many interviews that they just want to hire somebody and get it over with?)

Another tradition of numerology (and the number-to-Major correspondence with 6="Lovers") would attribute "choice" to the 6 of Coins. Would it be wrong to advise the applicant that they need to decide what level of compensation that they are willing to accept, since it is likely that the choice will be offered to them?

Thanks again for your thought-provoking post.

Melanchollic

Thanks Hooked. :)

Kircher Tree said:
So, regarding the Job Interview question which draws 6 Coins (applicant) and 9 Coins (interviewer):

This sounds like a really great draw for the situation, since coins are ultimately what we are after. Would it be out of line to tell the applicant that their interview might go "perfectly" (6)? (Would build confidence, I'm sure...) Is it possible that the person conducting the interviews is at their "limit end"(9)? (In other words, they have done so many interviews that they just want to hire somebody and get it over with?)

I agree. It's very positive and I'd answer "Yes", if the question was a general sort of "will I get the job?" question. Both querent and quesited being COIN, shows they are on the same 'wave-length', another positive indicator.

Kircher Tree said:
Another tradition of numerology (and the number-to-Major correspondence with 6="Lovers") would attribute "choice" to the 6 of Coins. Would it be wrong to advise the applicant that they need to decide what level of compensation that they are willing to accept, since it is likely that the choice will be offered to them?

Great question. I don't think it would be wrong. I wouldn't read the card that way, but there is a precedent for that type of interpretation, if one wanted to go with it.

I personally have never really seen the use of the idea of 'choice' in a divinatory setting. For example, (Please, read aloud with a gypsy accent)

"If you should meet a tall, dark stranger in the disco this Friday night, you will have to choose whether are not you want to be his lover!!"

Well, that goes without saying. Anytime we're trying to be 'picked-up', we have to make that choice. It is stating the obvious. The conclusion is inevitable. This is true for most situations.

Querent: "Where should we have dinner tonight?"

Reader: (Draws the Ace of Choices) "Ahhhh. You will have a choice where
you should eat dinner tonight."​

Querent: "NOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT THAT!!"

In your example, if indeed the querent is offered the choice of a level of compensation, of course he'd need to decide. There is no need to say,

"If you are offered the choice of a level of compensation, you'll need to decide."

Of course, I could be missing the boat on this one, and just not 'getting it'. :(

:CL tink :CL

Cheers Kircher,

Mel

Kircher Tree

" they need to decide what level of compensation that they are willing to accept, since it is likely that the choice will be offered to them"
I was unclear here. The main choice, of course, would be "You can choose to be paid "x" rupees per month, or you can choose to continue your job search."

But you might also need to choose whether or not you are willing to work nights, or if you are willing to relocate to a different city or country, if you are willing to work for a company that does not provide day care in exchange for more money, etc.

It depends on the local custom, the employer,and the situation as to what choices might be offered as a result of an interview. Sometimes you need to make these choices rather quickly, because if you are "wishy washy" or delay a decision, the employer can offer the job to someone else. That would be the reason to advise the applicant to be thinking about choices to be prepared.

Cheers!

Bernice

Reading the cards:

Hello Mel,

Looks like you've got a pretty comprehensive system there. Veeeery interesting. As Kircher Tree says = well presented. Thank you for posting it.

It would seem that the trick is to discover an appoach you're happy with, then expand it & build on it. You've done it!

3 Stars for Mel!

Bee :)

Melanchollic

Cheers Bee. :love:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a "system". Just a few tips on using one of me many "Rules of Thumb".

M

Bernice

OMG - You've gone into harmonics! The universe (and string theory?) all encoded in 78 cards.... astounding.

The crvx cvbis lxxviii, you built it?

It's clear to me now that you're a 'maths-man', and oddly enough maths & music go together. But not often do you find poetry in that mix :)

Got it - You're a Tarot-scientist!

Wonderful ideas....

Bee

frelkins

ok mel, so where do we hear the 'zik? what's the URL for your streaming server?