Interpreting Minors in Marseilles Decks

frelkins

But I like Brian Eno & Bach, as well as the Psychedelic Furs, so this is sounding better and better to me. :) Now seriously, when will you be giving sample readings here in this style you keep taunting us with? :)

conversus

Melanchollic said:
HOW NOT TO USE THIS!! - A NEGATIVE EXAMPLE

"Is Mary the gal for me?" Mary's significator - 3 of CUPS, hence male. "Sorry, but the love of your life is really a man!" We can't do this!! No. no, no... CONTEXT is essential. ;)

I found this insightful and very stimulating, so straightforward!
Two quick questions, which others may have already asked:

1) In these examples how are the cards drawn/laid out? How is one a significator of the boy and the other the significator of the car? Do you just draw two cards this is for her, this is for the car?

2) What might be a more acceptable completion to the specific example I quote above?

Thanks for all your generous contributions!

frelkins

Melanchollic said:
Do you want the 'deluxe' illustrated version, or something? You'll have to reciprocate 'big time' for that sort time and energy.
M

Yeah, baby! Deee-luxe. Oh course I will reciprocate. How about I read for you, you read for me, deluxe & illustrated this Sunday in the proper forum, as a sample? Then we can discuss and let everyone else hop in. Hmm?

Melanchollic

frelkins said:
Yeah, baby! Deee-luxe. Oh course I will reciprocate. How about I read for you, you read for me, deluxe & illustrated this Sunday in the proper forum, as a sample? Then we can discuss and let everyone else hop in. Hmm?

Deal. (I was hoping for some interesting photos of you dressed up like the Little Mermaid though....)

I've got a major day of 'beauty' planned today, hair, facial, nails, the works.. (Pretty fly for a 'straight' guy, huh? ;) ) So, I'll try to post something tomorrow...

Thanks Conversus! I'll post a reply to those questions shortly. :love:

M

Melanchollic

Dee-luxe Illustrated Example Readings - Part 1

In order to introduce the forthcoming example readings, and answer Conversus' questions, I'll start with a little explanatory post about my 'bread & butter' method, the astrological method. Having studied traditional astrology, as well as geomancy, which also employs the '12 houses', this method is second nature to me, but it might be new to some, so I'll explain a little about it.

Generally, the whole pack is used for this. I know Kris Hadar's version only uses the 22 trumps, but since this is a thread about reading minors, we won't worry about that!

After the diviner has understood what the querent 'really' wants to know, (sometimes this takes a little probing) the cards are shuffled and 12 are selected in what ever manner that you prefer.

Conversus asked how the cards are 'drawn', so I will include a 'fancy-pants' way to get your twelve cards for an astrological spread.

Melanchollic's Alchemical Shuffle

This shuffle takes advantage of the inherent 78 card structure of the deck, and incorporates the concept of planetary sympathy. Alchemists timed every detail of their work to the correct planetary day and hour, believing it 'energized' the work with the proper forces. We can use a similar approach, choosing cards that have been symbolically 'empowered' by a particular planet's archetypal energy, either for the planetary ruler of that given day, or based on the nature of the question, say Venus for questions about relationships, and so on.

Here's how it is done:

After the deck has been shuffled by the querent, it is handed to the diviner. The diviner, in order from top to bottom (deck face-down), places the cards face-down in seven stacks, one for each planet. The top card goes in stack #1, the second card in stack #2, the third card in stack #3 and so on until seven cards are face-down on the table. Continue by placing the eighth card in stack #1, the ninth card in stack #2, etc. You will end up with eleven cards in each stack with one left over. The last remaining card must be placed in the stack of the planet that rules whatever day of the week the reading is being done on.

The planetary rulers for each day are:

Sunday = Sun
Monday = Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn

From left to right the classic order of the planets is:

Stack #1 - Saturn
Stack #2 - Jupiter
Stack #3 - Mars
Stack #4 - Sun
Stack #5 - Venus
Stack #6 - Mercury
Stack #7 - Moon

Disregard all the cards except those in the stack of the planet that rules that day, or rules the 'topic' of the question. With those twelve cards form the 12 house arrangement shown below. Remember, the first card placed in the stack will be placed in the 1st house, which would be the bottom card in the stack, if the stack is facing downward.

All 'alchemical' gobble-gook aside, this method of drawing the cards really gets the deck nice and mixed, and it has a certain 'theatrical value' as well. Done in a slow and elegant manner, it builds anticipation and suspense.

Okay, now here is how the 12 astrological houses are traditionally arranged -

astro-houses.jpg

Here are some general traditional associations of the twelve houses -

First House: the querent.

Second House: goods, material wealth, gain, business transactions, material things the querent desires, and stolen property.

Third House: brothers and sisters, the querent's neighbors and environment, short journeys, letters, advice, news and rumours.

Fourth House: fathers, inheritances from parents, land, agriculture, buildings, construction, treasures, anything underground, ancient places and things, old age, hidden things.

Fifth House: pregnancy, children, sex, entertainments and feasts, bodies of water.

Sixth House: servants, employees, small animals, illness, and injuries.

Seventh House: the querent's spouse or lover, love relationships, marriage, partnerships, quarrels, any unidentified person.

Eighth House: suffering, death, dangers, inheritances (other than from parents).

Ninth House: religion, philosophy, learning and education, the arts, wisdom, long journeys.

Tenth House: employment, position in society, people in positions of authority, courts and judges, mothers, and the weather.

Eleventh House: friends, sources of help, good fortune, the querent's hopes and wishes.

Twelfth House: enemies, suffering, difficulties, any secret matter, imprisonment, large animals, the querent's fears.

The querent and the quesited (the subject of the divination) are each assigned to one of the twelve houses. The querent is always shown by the first house, but the quesited, depending on its nature, may be found in any of the other houses. So, whatever card is placed in the first house will be the significator of the querent, and whatever card that is found in the house of the quesited will be the significator of the quesited. The nature of the cards of the two significators, and the relationship between them are the main factors in interpretation for the astrological method.

More to come...

M

Hooked on TdM

Wow M, that is huge. Thanks for going into detail on it. I'm not too good with Astrology. Can't wait for more!

HoT

eugim

Dear my friend M...

1-Could you tell me aside the astrological right consideration,your scheme allude to Alchemy itself I mean in its inherent structure,so the stages of the Opus Alchemicum ?
2-Of course I m agree with you my Crab friend that the whole deck describes this process from Nigredo to Iosis

My best as always,

eugim

Kircher Tree

Melanchollic:

Excellent!

Posts like that are what this forum is all about. Don't let anyone discourage you or tell you that you are "getting too deep". This is "History and Iconography" and we can go as deep as we want here.

Also, thanks for "quesited". I have been needing that word for a long time.

Best Wishes!