Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Disa

Welcome to the Jungle Peridot :)

peridot

Thanks Thorhammer and Disa

"Hi, peridot (love the name, it's my birthstone ) and welcome I hope that the "My Tarot" and the Hoi Polloi are similar enough to each other that neither one will distract you from the other, or unduly influence your impressions.

You sound like you've really got your head in the right place for the IDS and I look forward to seeing your posts. BTW, I'm jealous. I want a Hoi Polloi"

Not sure if I got your quote in here Thorhammer.. I'm not sure how to get it to appear in that nice litte box! but Yeah, the two decks are very similar so I think it will be a nice combination. Peridot is my birthstone too! love it.

Well, you don't have to be jealous for long because this website is currently offering a Hoi Polloi for sale! This is the same website I found mine on a while ago. check it out at www.faroutthings.com :)

Oh, ok, I think I figured out the quote thing! I just hit where it says "quote" duh!

thorhammer

peridot said:
Oh, ok, I think I figured out the quote thing! I just hit where it says "quote" duh!
That's the one :) it's also a really great way of finding out how ppl do the colours, bold, italics, links, all that sort of stuff.

Thanks for the link, btw. Unfortunately, $$ are tight and I've already overspent this pay :( so I'll just have to wait and see if it's there when I can afford it :)

\m/ Kat

easternsunrise

I have been feeling bad lately because I'm not sure if I've been doing this IDS thing well. I have been doing 3 card daily spreads/journaling daily, and haven't used any other decks but I feel I have so much more to learn about this deck. I kinda wish I had picked a deck that more people have participated in a study group with. I thought about studying one suit/card at a time but with some unexpected issues in my life (storm damage to my home) I feel a bit disconnected with life in general right now. I promised to study this deck until the 31st-which I will do, but am not sure if I should continue to study this one for another month or so-or start another IDS using a different deck that others have given more input to in the study groups. I'm getting accurate readings with this one but at this rate it will be forever until I randomly draw all of the cards in a spread. Any advice?:neutral:

rwcarter

easternsunrise said:
I'm getting accurate readings with this one but at this rate it will be forever until I randomly draw all of the cards in a spread. Any advice?:neutral:
I'm quite interested in how you get along with the Inner Child cards. I tried and couldn't. The art just didn't speak to me....

As for a better way to "get" more of the cards to study, in your daily draws if you get a card that you've already gotten before, how about going up or down one number? So if you drew Prince Cups Tower and 3 Swords and you'd already done all those cards, you could then go to the Queen Cups, Star and 4 Swords. If you've already done any of those cards, try going down one instead of up. For the Minors you could also go over a suit. Say you got the 9 Swords in your draw but you've already done that card. Go over to either the 9 Cups or the 9 Pentacles instead.

HTH,
Rodney

thorhammer

easternsunrise said:
I have been feeling bad lately because I'm not sure if I've been doing this IDS thing well. I have been doing 3 card daily spreads/journaling daily, and haven't used any other decks but I feel I have so much more to learn about this deck. I kinda wish I had picked a deck that more people have participated in a study group with. I thought about studying one suit/card at a time but with some unexpected issues in my life (storm damage to my home) I feel a bit disconnected with life in general right now. I promised to study this deck until the 31st-which I will do, but am not sure if I should continue to study this one for another month or so-or start another IDS using a different deck that others have given more input to in the study groups. I'm getting accurate readings with this one but at this rate it will be forever until I randomly draw all of the cards in a spread. Any advice?:neutral:
I know what you mean about the study group comment – there are lots of us who have started to post to study groups but are really feeling “the sound of silence” :D But that’s okay, really. At least there’s no one telling you you’re full of it! :laugh:

The biggest thing to remember is not to make it too much work. If your approach isn’t working for you, feel free to change it. If the three-card dailies and journalling are too much like hard work, maybe it would be a better idea to spend a few days on each card, ruminating on it, thinking about it as you go about your business and letting its meaning really sink in for you. That was the approach I settled on, and although I’m *still* going with my extended IDS, I’m getting so much out of the whole saga I couldn’t possibly say I regret it at all.

Other ideas could include storytelling – see if you can come up with alternate endings for the tales for one card a day or so, or maybe continue the story past its traditional ending and see if there is a way to link cards by doing that? There is so much to work with in that deck – I really wanted to like it, but the huge cards and super-lamination really killed it for me :D Never mind. I can live vicariously through you.

Seriously, though, about the study group thing, sravana, rwcarter, myself and others have noticed how lonely it can be. But it helps to remember that you’re not doing this for anyone else – so it doesn’t matter who does or doesn’t comment or discuss in the same threads.

Maybe try offering in the reading exchange? One a day for a while so you can get the feel of your deck at full stretch, as it were.

I hope you find your feet. We all struggle at some stage or other – except maybe Emily, but she’s Strange, as we all know :D :)heart: ya, Emily) – and when we got to the other side of the hard patch, we were all proud of having stuck to our guns.

\m/ Kat

easternsunrise

I really needed to hear that...thanks so much for the support! It's good to know I'm not the only one that struggles at times. I could start a study thread for this deck and study the cards on my own and anyone who joined in would be icing...I've flown solo on other projects in life...no problem there. Thanks!:D

Skydancer

I would like to join the IDS also! I want to get to know a rather new deck that I've recently acquired and it's going to take some work to get to know all the symbols and runes. It's the Pearls of Wisdom.

This is the right place, right?!!
Does it matter which day I begin the draws? I post them in the other thread, right?? :laugh:

*S*

thorhammer

Hey, Skydancer :)

Welcome! No, it doesn't matter when you start, just as long as you know when it is, and when you intend to finish. I think quite a few of us have found that having a "pledge" or at least some sort of commitment has helped a great deal.

There is (or was?) an IDS Daily Draw thread, and that's where you can post your dailies. There is also a very active Pearls of Wisdom Study Group, although I think it might have slowed down a bit when the Deviant Moon was released :D. Many of the contributors had wonderful insights to share.

I had that deck - I had two copies, actually - and somehow, although it's so ME, I just couldn't get with it. I trimmed one copy, and it turned out really well. faunabay now has my trimmed copy, so she's the one to ask if you want to know how the deck stands up to a haircut :D

I hope you enjoy your IDS and get heaps out of it, like I have.

\m/ Kat

Skydancer

Hi Kat - boy, that was a fast reply!!

I am in the process of giving mine a hair cut as we speak. :laugh: I am really liking how it is turning out. Even though the fronts and backs don't exactly line up -- just a small challenge is all!!

I have only looked at a few of the PoW threads over there - wanted to get my own ideas as well as those of the creator first.

Thanks, and will talk again soon!!
*S*