Astrological Reading Methods for Pips

SolSionnach

Hooked on TdM said:
Have you read through or tried EE's Seekers thread? The index is here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102599

It's a great way to learn how to read pips.

Hooked

Oooh, thanks, Hooked!
I had read some reference to his tips, but hadn't yet looked for them. (I just ordered a Hadar from amazon.ca. Hold me! lol) Thanks so much. :)

SolSionnach

Okay, last night I did an experiment, using Mel's astrological spread. I used the Fournier TdM, and I shuffled and cut the cards etc as he recommended in that other thread. I didn't have a yes/no question, I simply asked "what areas of my life will be highlighted tomorrow?"

Boy, did I get an answer. (!!!)

House 1: 2 Coins
House 2: 9 Coins
House 3: Fool
House 4: 9 Swords
House 5: Q Wands
House 6: 7 Coins
House 7: XI: Strength
House 8: 10 Cups
House 9: Knight Coins
House 10: Ace Swords
House 11: 4 Wands
House 12: 3 Wands

I decided to simply see what was related to the first card - the 2 Coins. There were no other 2s, but the other coin cards were in house 2, 6, and 9. I thought that was very interesting, relating to money, my daily work life, and higher ed. I also noted the 9 swords in the 4th (related to 9 Coins in the 2nd), but didn't see any other relationships.

So, what has happened today?

The first thing I noticed after I dragged myself out of bed was that something was wrong with my dog's right eye - she was 'winking' at me in an unhappy manner. House 6 = small animals/pets and Health as well. Shoot! I hate that she's not right. We'll be going to the vet tomorrow if she's not better by then. Later on I had a bit of a windfall, $$-wise - it wasn't unexpected, but it did happen today - House 2. My bottom line is suddenly much better than it was yesterday.
I had lunch with a girlfriend today, and as we talked I realized that I have been dealing with a low-grade depression for the past couple of weeks - I've been staying in the house (I'm currently seasonally unemployed), and not getting out nearly enough. 9 swords in the 4th House? Or still the 7 Coins in the 6th? Hard to say.
I'm still not certain about the Cavalier of Coins in the 9th - I did just graduate a year ago from grad school - though he is peering rather nearsightedly at the 'floating' coin, and I'm wondering why he is holding a club/baton. What's that all about? http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/149/Marseilles_Fournier#67.jpg
I also notice that, unlike the RWS and following Knight of Pents, his horse's feet are not planted - rather both of them on it's left side are raised. That's not a trot or even a walk - the horse is pacing, which is a fancy, unusual way of moving. Rather than the usual static Knight of Pents, this one is off balance.

Hmm.

Thoughts?

ETA: I just realized what the 9th house connection was - I am going to be flying to Seattle in Oct for a seminar (long distance travel + higher ed), and I just heard from a friend of mine that she isn't going to go, so I'll need to find someone else to room with!

This is so accurate that it's scary. :bugeyed:

Hooked on TdM

No thoughts from me (I struggled to grasp this method at all! LOL) But I wanted to say I'm glad it works for you! Sounds like you've grasped this really well and looks like it worked to! :)

Hooked

Bernice

Mels' method is a winner!

SolSionnach

Hooked on TdM said:
No thoughts from me (I struggled to grasp this method at all! LOL) But I wanted to say I'm glad it works for you! Sounds like you've grasped this really well and looks like it worked to! :)

Hooked
Thanks, Hooked! Tonight I'm going to try another astrological spread for tomorrow. Either that, or I'll look into his cross spread.
Bernice said:
Mels' method is a winner!
No kidding! I like how it cuts to the chase, and there is little to no need to "enter" a card or channel something to figure out what's what - and no need to do an in-depth study of all 78 cards in order to use the deck (Maat, Greenwood, Ironwing, I'm looking at YOU). lol

I cannot WAIT to get my Hadar TdM. I like the Fournier, but it's so.. colorful. I'm wanting something more traditional right now, can't you tell. :) I could pull out my tarot of bologna, which is from b.t.k. (before the keywords) that ruined so many recent LS reprint decks. I'm glad that I don't need to trim that one, because I'm not terribly happy with the job I did with the tarot of the master (vachetta). :(

Bernice

sravana, you trimmed the vachetta! (Shock - Horror...) It's a beautiful deck. Must confress I've managed to resist trimming mine. You've strengthened my resistance, thank you.

Yes Mels' method certainly 'cuts to the chase'. No waffling around. I've been trying it out with ordinary playing cards and it's just as effective!

Bee

SolSionnach

Bernice said:
sravana, you trimmed the vachetta! (Shock - Horror...) It's a beautiful deck. Must confress I've managed to resist trimming mine. You've strengthened my resistance, thank you.
In that case, let me mess with your head a bit. ;) I could not *believe* how beautiful that deck was, after I trimmed off those hideous green borders. The colors are incredibly alive and vibrant after trimming - and the delicacy of the colors compliments the line drawings/engravings beautifully. So much so that I actually SOLD my Meneghello version of that deck, because it was hideously garish in comparison.
That being said, I wish that I'd used a guillotine cutter instead of scissors. But - I also have another copy of the deck, still in the box. :) I don't know if/when I'll trim that one, but I won't be doing it with scissors.

I also have the LS dellaroca (can't remember it's official name off hand - Classical Tarots?) and I would like to trim it, too. However, the borders on that deck aren't nearly as awful as the ones on the Tarot of the Master. Whoever it was at LS who chose that color should be fired for ruining a wonderful reproduction of that deck.
Bernice said:
Yes Mels' method certainly 'cuts to the chase'. No waffling around. I've been trying it out with ordinary playing cards and it's just as effective!

Bee
Very interesting! I've never tried to read with playing cards (do you have that Ana Cortez book?), but it occurs to me that there would be even more inter-relations with playing cards, because you wouldn't have all the trumps (which don't give aspects, or take them - can't remember exactly the term).

I made a huge file (called "Melancholy Reading, :) :) ) in my computer journal taken from that thread, and printed it up, and devoured it. Next is the cross spread that uses only the trumps, and learning Mel's elemental attribs for the trumps - and deciding if those elemental attribs work for me.

It's the ODDEST thing. I have loads of decks, but suddenly none of them look like *tarot* to me. It's as though a light switch went off in my head, and now if it has so-called fully-illustrated pips, then it just looks like a bunch of pretty pictures to me. And all the "theme" decks - and decks with shitloads of esoterica to learn (like my beloved Haindl) - they just look like folks have piled on stuff that only obscures Tarot. I'm sure you know what I mean. I immediately went through my decks and am ready to sell a bunch - but I'm holding off on more deck sales until I get my Hadar and have a chance to see if this is a passing fancy, or a turning point.

Today's eclipse was opposing my moon, and is in my 12th house conjuncting the ascendant. This change makes lots of sense to me, knowing that.

ETA: ...going to read this thread in its entirety...

Melanchollic

Hi Sravana,

I'm so pleased you're getting some use out of the astrological method.

I trimmed a Heron TdM once. It looked much better, though it became a pretty small size. It didn't shuffle too well either. I wish Heron would re-release their TdM with the same 'style' as their Vieville.

I'll be back to more regular posting when I get back home from my trip.

:love: M

Hooked on TdM

sravana said:
I made a huge file (called "Melancholy Reading, :) :) ) in my computer journal taken from that thread, and printed it up, and devoured it. Next is the cross spread that uses only the trumps, and learning Mel's elemental attribs for the trumps - and deciding if those elemental attribs work for me.

It's the ODDEST thing. I have loads of decks, but suddenly none of them look like *tarot* to me. It's as though a light switch went off in my head, and now if it has so-called fully-illustrated pips, then it just looks like a bunch of pretty pictures to me. And all the "theme" decks - and decks with shitloads of esoterica to learn (like my beloved Haindl) - they just look like folks have piled on stuff that only obscures Tarot. I'm sure you know what I mean. I immediately went through my decks and am ready to sell a bunch - but I'm holding off on more deck sales until I get my Hadar and have a chance to see if this is a passing fancy, or a turning point.

Today's eclipse was opposing my moon, and is in my 12th house conjuncting the ascendant. This change makes lots of sense to me, knowing that.

I hand wrote out every dang word M wrote.. It took forever! Then, like the nut that I am, I typed it all out and sent it to my girlfriend who loves the whole Astrological thingy. (and yes.. she knows it's M's baby too!) I'm hoping that someday I will grasp it.. but Astrological anything just makes my eyes glaze over and head pound. LOL

I do know exactly what you mean! I can not look at a deck with scenic pips and think anything other than, "they ruined it." lol.. Mind you I couldn't read with them, worth a crap, to begin with. I considered my learning began with the TdM, and my experience before hand just taught me that I can't read with all those "pretty" decks... ;)

Hooked

Hooked on TdM

Well I picked up a book on Astrology today (Astrology, An Illustrated Guide, General Editor: Kim Farnell). It was on sale, so I thought why not? Maybe if I read it from cover to cover I will get this method! LOL

It's all your fault M! ;)

Hooked