Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

PolarBear

easternsunrise said:
Well after much thought about what to do with my IDS I've decided to switch to the Llewellyn.

-Joanna

Hi Joanna!
Hooray - another Llewellyn IDSer :)

I am still going with mine - currently struggling with the courts (no reflection on the Llewelly, this - I mean the courts seem to be a universal struggle!)

I have found that the Llewellyn stands up well to both study, and the passage of time (in the sense that I haven't got bored with it in the way I might expect.) I think this is because it is obviously based on the Rider-Waite, but has enough changes to make it interesting.

I am nor surprised you didn;t manage to study the Inner Child Cards - they probably just wanted to play! :)

Hugs,

PolarBear

easternsunrise

Thanks PolarBear! So glad someone else is having good luck studying this deck. I plan on posting in the Llewellyn study group so join me if you like.:thumbsup:

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
sravana,

I'll be watching your progress with interest. TdM style decks don't speak to me right now, but that could change at any time....

Rodney

When I first read Mel's reading technique (http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1526683&postcount=267) it hit me over the head as something that would work really well for me. I ended up doing a spread of sorts (http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1574916&postcount=82) that was **eeriely** (is that a word?) spot-on... to the point that it rather weirded me out. It told me exactly what would be highlighted the next day, in no uncertain terms! I also have done some astrological study over the years, and knew about houses and turning the chart, etc, so it was not a huge leap for me to use this technique. The interesting thing is that you don't need pictures on your pips to use this technique - and if you read some of the spreads people have done with the technique, you can see where it is possible to get way more info than I've seen before, as well as answers to yes/no questions.

I'm using my Fournier TdM right now - and cannot WAIT to receive my Hadar (from amazon.ca). I've backordered the Noblet from Tarot Garden, and am ready to sell a lot of my other decks, in a fit of tarot-purism. lol I'm holding off on that, because such bursts of enthusiasm can be rather short-lived. ;)

So, yes, I suppose I'm actually continuing my IDS, but now with a variety of TdM. :) (sig altered for that)

rwcarter

sravana,

The technique looks interesting, but I'll have to explore that thread some more.

The interesting thing is that you don't need pictures on your pips to use this technique - and if you read some of the spreads people have done with the technique, you can see where it is possible to get way more info than I've seen before, as well as answers to yes/no questions.
I don't see the first part (about not needing pictures) but I guess I'll have to look through that forum one of these days when I'm ready to approach the TdM!

(BTW, I do have my TdM ducks in a row as far as decks go for the day when I do decide to jump off the TdM cliff.... ;))

I'll be interested in following your progress with the TdM.

Rodney

Hooked on TdM

I come humbly to ask a question of you all!

I did my own "home" IDS with my Camoin TdM. I started around May 20th and finished up July 19th. I want to do an IDS on every single deck I own. (Yes almost all are TdM's, not the point. LOL) I used the Camion exclusively, and even now I have not yet used another deck.

So.. now I am loathe to switch decks! It's almost that I'm afraid that I'll lose that connection I have built with it or something. But I still really want to do an IDS on each deck. I just can't get past this bump.

So HELP. Any suggestions?

Hooked

thorhammer

Hooked on TdM said:
I come humbly to ask a question of you all!

I did my own "home" IDS with my Camoin TdM. I started around May 20th and finished up July 19th. I want to do an IDS on every single deck I own. (Yes almost all are TdM's, not the point. LOL) I used the Camion exclusively, and even now I have not yet used another deck.

So.. now I am loathe to switch decks! It's almost that I'm afraid that I'll lose that connection I have built with it or something. But I still really want to do an IDS on each deck. I just can't get past this bump.

So HELP. Any suggestions?

Hooked
I'm going to assume that, like myself, you're counting on having a good many years on this Earth from today onwards? There are at least three of us (I've lost track) that have extended our original IDS exercises beyond the pledged three months (myself, Rodney, and Emily) because we felt that there was more to do, or like you, had no desire to move on. I would recommend staying with the Camoin, if that is the one that calls you. The others aren't going anywhere, are they? They'll wait for you. They're not jealous. :D I really can't advise deeply enough not rushing it. I didn't start connecting with my deck until I'd been working with it for about two months. Then, when I was just ramping up to a meaningful relationship with it, my IDS was over . . . so I said, bu&&er the Thoth/Liber T, I'm staying put. :D

There's time, is all I"m saying.

\m/ Kat

Hooked on TdM

thorhammer said:
I'm going to assume that, like myself, you're counting on having a good many years on this Earth from today onwards? There are at least three of us (I've lost track) that have extended our original IDS exercises beyond the pledged three months (myself, Rodney, and Emily) because we felt that there was more to do, or like you, had no desire to move on. I would recommend staying with the Camoin, if that is the one that calls you. The others aren't going anywhere, are they? They'll wait for you. They're not jealous. :D I really can't advise deeply enough not rushing it. I didn't start connecting with my deck until I'd been working with it for about two months. Then, when I was just ramping up to a meaningful relationship with it, my IDS was over . . . so I said, bu&&er the Thoth/Liber T, I'm staying put. :D

There's time, is all I"m saying.

\m/ Kat

Hehe, hopefully I won't croak anytime soon! Too much to do yet! ;)

I guess I really am putting a time limit on it, aren't I? Well in light of your experience, I think I shall stay put then.. I must get creative and find more to do with it... Hmmmms.... Hehe, I think the other decks are waiting quite patiently.. one of them even knows it won't get used for a least a few years! LOL

Hooked

sapienza

Hello. Good to see some old faces still going with your original IDS :) I know I disappeared from the last thread towards the end there. We had some family dramas and I took the opportunity to 'unplug' myself and take a bit of tarot (and Internet) down time. But I've still been working fairly exclusively with my Alchemical Renewed.

...which is why I'm posting now, in response to Hooked. I agree with Kat, if the deck is still working for you then stick with it. It was actually after the official end to the last IDS that I had some of my best moments with my Alchemical....and it gets better all the time. Your other decks will wait. Enjoy.

As a side note...I'm thinking of starting an IDS soon with the Thoth. I never thought I'd be uttering such words to be honest. I had a dream recently that basically said it was time for me to work with my Thoth, which I've had for about 8 years but never really connected with. It's really calling me now and so I'm investing in a new copy (to trim...I'm scared) and some books and hopefully soon I'll get to work.

Hope you are all doing well with you current IDS.

Best Wishes
Sapienza

thorhammer

sapienza - good for you! On both counts, that is :D Alchemical and Thoth.

I saw you posting over in the Thoth forum a few days ago about choosing a deck to trim. I've now got three Thoths :rolleyes: one of which is trimmed (but not cornered :D), another small one that's untrimmed, and a large one that came yesterday AND IS A GREENIE!!!! I'm so excited. But anyway. I digress. What I wanted to say is, I really would get a big one to trim. The details are so much better, and trimmed, the small one is teensy. The big one's images are larger than the whole smaller cards, and they'd be sooo awesome trimmed.

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Thanks for the advice Kat. I think I will get myself a large one and take the plunge. This will be my first time trimming so of course I'm terrified of wrecking it. I just need to make sure I get a version that has the white borders on the backs so I don't lose the edges of the cross when I trim. My old copy has no borders on the back.

I'm looking forward to spending time with the Thoth....it's exciting to finally begin to make sense of it. It will be hard to put the Alchemical aside completely though!