EPIPHANY! A New Take on the Major Arcana

thorhammer

Thanks for bumping, Rodney. I saw this last year when it first got posted and was intruiged, but had other things to focus on. Now that I'm at a loose end ;) I might get into the sucker!

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

Cool! Something else we can work on together but separately! :laugh:

:heart:
Rodney

rwcarter

dangerdork said:
Row One people follow the lead of the King, the Emperor - they follow the State; and Row Two people likewise are motivated by the Church (The Hierophant). So the Path of The Citizen vs. the Path of the Congregant. Then what about Row 3? The key is in the second column. A "Row 1 person" is driven by the Emperor (State), a Row 2 person by the Church (Hierophant), so a row 3 person is driven by... The Lovers? YES! For what do the Lovers represent but Choice... FREE WILL! Row 3 is the Path of the Individualist.
OK. Going back to the beginning of this all we find the original three labels for the three levels of the Seven Stations: State, Church and Free Will. I see myself as someone who follows the rules (State) but at the same time doesn't mind being out there all by my lonesome (Free Will) and doesn't pay any attention at all to religion (Church). So I pulled out my birth chart and corresponded the houses in which the planets appear to the levels of the Seven Stations.

I'm a Taurus and 4 of my planets are in that sign. Taurus is associated with the Hierophant, which is in the row of the Church or the Inner Path.

Then I have 1 planet in Cancer, which is associated with the Chariot, which is in the row of the State of the Outer Path.

Then I have 3 planets in Virgo, which is associated with the Hermit, which is in the row of Free Will or the Hidden Path.

Than I have 1 planet in Scorpio, which is associated with Death, which is in the row of the State or the Outer Path.

Finally, I have 1 planet in Pisces, which is associated with The Moon, which is in the row of Free Will or the Hidden Path.

So, half my birth chart points to the Hidden Path of Free Will, while 40% of it points to the Inner Path of the Church and only 10% of it points to the Outer Path of the State.

While I'm not surprised by the predominance of the Hidden Path in my natal chart, I am surprised at the flip between the Outer and Inner Paths from where I am at this point in my life.

But if I look at the rulership on my planets, what will I find? The 4 planets in Taurus are ruled by the Empress, which puts 4 in the Hidden row. The one planet in Cancer is ruled by the High Priestess, which puts 1 in the Inner row. The 3 planets in Virgo are ruled by the Magician, which puts 3 in the Outer row. The one planet in Scorpio is ruled by Judgement, which puts one more in the Inner row. Finally, the 1 planet in Pisces is ruled by the Hanged Man, which puts 1 more in the Hidden Row.

So looking at rulership, I have still have half my chart in the Hidden Path, but now I have 30% in the Outer Path and 20% in the Inner Path. That seems more like who I am now.

So is it possible that the placement of planets in our natal chart shows who we are born as and the rulership of those planets shows who we will become? Since I'm a data point of 1, I can't say with any certainty that this is a universal truth, but it appears to be the case for me. I invite others who are interested to see what their patterns are between planets and rulership.

Rodney

rwcarter

dangerdork said:
So more and more, I'm seeing the Three Paths not necessarily as three alternative routes for three types of people, but as the development of different aspects of the SAME person. Your intellectual development, social development and spiritual development, for instance. Or the Rebel / Soldier / Priest as different aspects of your personality.
I'm somewhat torn by this statement, especially now that I've looked at how both my natal chart and the rulership of my signs falls into the layout of the Seven Stations.

On the one hand I see myself as a Hidden Path kind of person who has some Outer Path in him and little to no Inner Path. And if I look at it as intellectual, social and spiritual development, I can see the role of intellectual development in my life, and I'm currently deeply into my spiritual development, but social development has never meant much to me.

I think Rebel/ Soldier/ Priest should actually be Soldier (State)/ Priest (Church)/ Rebel (Free Will). Again I can see how I might have played the roles of Soldier and Rebel, but not Priest.

So I'm wondering if the Seven Stations can be both - for some people it will be an alternate route where one path resonates more deeply than the others (and that's where some people will stay) and for other people it represents the development of different aspects of the same person with the Hidden Path being the end of the line as it were....

And maybe my disinclination towards the Inner Path shows me where I need to focus (at this point?) in my life....

Lots of questions and no answers. Yet....

Rodney

re-pete-a

RWC, at a quick glance the numbers seem to equal each or mirror each other . Take a look.
The third Number of each line is the same as the first ,

1 4 7 10 13 16 19 , 10=1,13=4, 16=7, 19=10 or 1 all the lines are the same, Interesting.

rwcarter

re-pete-a,

I'm literally going through this thread from the first post. I believe it's already been noted that the reduced numbers are part of the same path as the unreduced numbers. That's because the reduced numbers are 9 less than the unreduced numbers and because the layout is done in three rows, and 3 x 3 = 9, it works out that way.

Rodney

rwcarter

dangerdork said:
If people are using Arrien Soul Cards to find significators and then placing themselves on one of the paths here, then I'm curious to hear how that works out.

I've already used Mary K. Greer's Tarot Constellations book to find my Personality, Soul, Hidden Factor, etc. cards. (MKG expanded upon Arrien's original application of Soul Cards.) Let's apply those to the Seven Stations and see what happens.

Based on my Date of Birth:
Personality and Soul cards are both the Hermit => Hidden Path x 2
Hidden Factor card is the Moon => Hidden Path

So, that's 3 Hidden Path cards, but basically wherever one of these cards lands, the other two will also land. But as I've already said, the Hidden Path is where I feel most aligned.

Based on my Given Birth Name:
Desires and Inner Motivations card is the Hanged Man => Hidden Path
Outer Persona card is Justice => Inner Path
Destiny card is Temperance => Inner Path
First Name card is the Hermit => Hidden Path
Middle Name card is the Hanged Man => Hidden Path
Last Name card is Justice => Inner Path
Theme Note card is the Hierophant => Inner Path
Rhythm card is the Hierophant => Inner Path
Melody card is Temperance => Inner Path
Life Potential card is Temperance => Inner Path

So that's 3 Hidden Path and 7 Inner Path cards. That's a whole lot of Inner Path, and I've already stated that I don't feel attuned to the Inner Path.

So my birthdate firmly places me in the Hidden Path and my birth name pretty firmly places me in the Inner Path. I believe that both my birthdate and birth name have something important to say about who I am. My birthdate seems to be in tune with how I see myself but my birth name doesn't.

But my birthdate determines what planets are in which houses, so that information should synch up somehow, right? My birthdate puts me in the Hidden Path. The majority of my natal chart is also in the Hidden Path, so that's good.

My birth name at best has an indirect correlation to my birthdate. (It's the name that happened to be given to the being who was born at the time of my birth.) But it does seem to correlate with the second most prevalent path shown by my natal chart. Coincidence? I don't know since, again, I'm a data point of 1.

More questions and still no answers....

Rodney

rwcarter

Great news! dangerdork is still around! My revival of this thread may even get him to come back to us. dangerdork, come back. We need you!

OK. Reading some more from the beginning, I'm finding that the labels Outer/ Inner/ Hidden Paths aren't jibing for me. Body/ Mind/ Spirit, Social/ Moral/ Personal and even Material/ Psychological/ Eternal work better for me. I guess I'm just too stuck on the original Church/religion appellation. Guess I need to get over that. :D Looking at the middle path as Mind, Moral (which I don't equate with Church or religion) or Psychological, I can better understand the predominance of the middle path from both my birth chart and my given name.

I'm up to the first mention of the Majors-only spread, but since I have to start getting ready for bed in ~30 min, I won't be able to give it a test run until tomorrow. (Thankfully, tomorrow's Friday and I can stay up later!)

Rodney

Ravenswing

your system

DD--

I haven't yet read through this entire thread, but it's sparked off something I'd like to share. Perhaps someone has already posted something along these lines, I don't know. This hit me almost immeadiately.

If you take your rows and make them columns you get something along the ilines of the tree of life. The fool is at the bottom-- the seeker who has of yet to choose a path.

There are three choices--

The right-hand path-- the Hermatic pathway. The magician who seeks to find his Holy Guardian Angel.

The middle path--the balanced way. By service to the gods, finding God

The left hand path-- the seeker who dares to be God. The Satanic path.

This is only my interpretation of your work. And it is what I consider a Great Work, one which has many truths.

My utmost respect to your work of the Higher Genius. A rare and wonderful thing to encounter. Thank you for sharing a Greater Mystery.

fly well
Raven

rwcarter

Ravenswing,

Interesting insight about the correlation to the Tree of Life. I've got to chew on that one a little bit. Hopefully you'll post more about the Seven Stations as you catch up on the thread.

Rodney