View Single Post
Citizen

Nevada 

Well I'm glad that a few people saw the poll, since I posted it so late here, and Australia might have still been asleep or busy working, too.

My answer is the second one. I have read one of Crowley's books -- the long essay on the Book of Thoth, which I think a lot of people purchase as a companion for the deck when they start. But I found it just as I described in the post Abrac quoted above. I mainly use the deck for the artwork.

That said, I do appreciate the symbolism, and especially the astrological correspondences, which came from Crowley. To me, though, some others' interpretations of the deck -- such as Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Hajo Banzhaf and Brigitte Theler, are of more practical value to me. Sorry, I just do not "get" Crowley's writing.

In addition, I find that although I started out with first Voyager and then Thoth, some 20 years ago, I now have a more generalized appreciation of tarot through other decks and writings, and I tend to follow that when working with any deck, though of course with nuances influenced by the particular deck in use.

The Thoth deck continues to be one of my all-time favorites, and we have 5 Thoth decks in the house, including an "icky green" and one with a missing card that I can't bear to throw away.

Nevada
Top   #6