The NEW Mythic Tarot

GeorgiePorgie

I asked Gerald (the seller from the previously mentioned ebay link) to send me some other images from this new one - just got an email to say he updated the listing with a couple of cards included.

rwcarter

K. I can see Casselli's style in the new pics that were included in the eBay auction. It's also apparent that it's not a direct copy of the original.

Original Ace Swords - Athena is facing right and the sword almost seems too big for her to handle.

New Ace Swords - Athena faces left and appears to have a better grasp on the sword. The mountains in the background have been augmented, Athena appears to have more of a figure, and shadows have been added.

Original Temperance - The rainbow is pale and the reflected rainbow appears to go up into Iris' wings.

New Temperance - The rainbow has stronger colors and the reflection is complete. Her dress is slightly different and her wings look buffer. Her hair also looks longer and thicker.

Original 10 Cups - Either the cups are smaller or Eros and Psyche are further away from them. Psyche's dress is white and her right hand is at her side.

New 10 Cups - The cups look brassy and are either larger or closer to the couple. Psyche's dress is now yellow and her right hand is now on her hip. The arch behind them is different and the columns look more like metal. The cloth covering Cupid's privates is different and Cupid is Caucasian. Shadows have been added to this card also.

The battle scene in the 7 Wands has been completely redrawn as has the Chariot (at least judging by the back(?) cover of the box). The 3S, KnW and AW also appear to have been at least partially redrawn.

The art style reminds me more of the Grail Tarot art than the Sharman Caselli art. In and of itself, I think I like it, but I don't know if that's enough to wipe that foul taste out of my mouth, knowing the history behind how this new deck came to be.

Rodney

Shade

Intriguing, it's been hard to imagine what the deck would look like with only the cover available for so many months (makes me want to sing the praises of Ricardo who lavishes us with early card images).

I would agree with Tricia about the Empress being better in the original deck but I rather like the new version of the Magician. The setting looks interesting. I have also always thought that Athena's sword looked too big for her, and the new background (again) looks rather nice. Psyche also seems more confident in this 10 of Cups. Hoping to see a few more cards soon.

Faolainn Storm

Well, I just got a copy of the NEW Mythic Tarot. I bought it because I was never really all that impressed by the artwork of the original. *pauses for rotten fruit* Okay, I know I'm being heretical, but that's the way it is.

Now for my analysis of the new deck. Fact is I'm still undecided about whether I like this new deck or not. :confused:
About a quarter of the cards have been improved (to my eyes). Ace of Swords is a great example.
About a dozen are worse. The Empress falls into this catergory.
And the rest are about the same. Not particularly better or worse.

My biggest regret is that they are slightly smaller than the originals. Otherwise I would mix the two versions. :(

I'll post some examples of all three groups tomorrow. Any requests for specific cards?

FS

sapienza

Thanks FS. I'd like to see the High Priestess and the 8 of Cups, but would just be interested in any scans. I love my original and can't see myself ever getting the new one, but I have to admit I'm curious.

gregory

Faolainn Storm said:
I'll post some examples of all three groups tomorrow. Any requests for specific cards?
Death, please, and Queen of Cups.

Faolainn Storm

Okay here are (quite) a few examples. In these pictures the original deck is above the new version.

Death and Devil
Hierophant and High Priestess
Magician and Hanged Man
Empress and Chariot
Strength and Justice
World and Judgement
Pentacles 10 & 5
Cups 8 & 7
Wands 5 & 8
Swords Ace & 8
Page Swords, Knight Wands
Queen Cups, King Pentacles

My opinions:
Improved: Devil, Strength, Judgement, Chariot, Sword Ace
Worse: Empress, Hanged Man, Wands 5, Cups 9 (iffy, a bit better and a bit worse)
No substantial difference: World, High Priestess

FS

GeorgiePorgie

Thanks FS. I was on the fence - I was thinking about buying the new one just for novelty/curiousness. Now I am firmly off the fence and have even more of an intense feeling of yukky about the new version.

Bleurgh.

thorhammer

Weighing in . . .

I've got the old Mythic coming my way (at least I hope it's the old one!) so I've been interested in this thread.

Thankyou, FS, for posting scans - you've taken lots of trouble.

I find it incomprehensible that the original should have been tampered with so carelessly. This looks to me like nothing so much as change for its own sake, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. Casselli is capable of so much better - it looks to me like he had Satan standing over him while he worked feverishly at Photoshop. I'm frankly sickened, and my cynicism level has just skyrocketed. I hate it when that happens in relation to Tarot :rolleyes:

Thanks again, FS :)

\m/ Kat

Faolainn Storm

thorhammer said:
I find it incomprehensible that the original should have been tampered with so carelessly. This looks to me like nothing so much as change for its own sake, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. Casselli is capable of so much better - it looks to me like he had Satan standing over him while he worked feverishly at Photoshop. I'm frankly sickened, and my cynicism level has just skyrocketed. I hate it when that happens in relation to Tarot :rolleyes:

I agree that this has to be change for its own sake. There is no real substantial differences between the two versions. I have included the few I could find with "big" or obvious differences, eg. Chariot and Ace of Swords. But even then the differences are fairly minimal. Otherwise the main difference is that the original has a 'drawn' look and the new version a 'painted' appearance.

I was hoping for a truly NEW deck, based on the same stories/mythology. But what I have is a painted version of the drawn original.

Oh well, to look on the bright side, when I bought the original, I wasn't able to get a kit, just the cards. This set only comes as a set, so now I have the book to go with the cards. :D There's always an upside!

FS