XVI Century "Art of Memory" about playing cards

DoctorArcanus

In the digital collection of the Warburg Institute, I have found a 1562 “Art of Memory” book by Lodovico Dolce. In 1540, Dolce wrote the tercets for the Marcolini card divination book.

The title of the book is “Dialogo di M. Lodovico Dolce nel quale si ragiona del modo di accrescere e conservr a memoria” (Dialogue by Lodovico Dolce in which it is reasoned about the way to increase and preserve memory). It was published in Venice.
The book includes illustrations from older German books on the same argument. According to this book, Dolce is actually translating a Latin dialogue by Johannes Romberch (1520).

At the end of the book (pag. 117) there is a paragraph in which the author explains how to apply memory techniques to card games. There is nothing particularly surprising in this text, but I give here a translation in case someone is interested:

In order to use memory in card games, the first thing you must consider is that in cards there are four types of figures. For instance we can call the first coins, the second swords, the third wands and the fourth cups. Each of them has his King, Horse and Knave. For this figures you will image four men, that represent these four figures [the suits] with their own devices. The images of numbers will represent the rest: for instance the cross [see the table at page 36] will represent the ten of swords, the ten of coins, the ten of wands and the ten of cups. The same for the other numbers. When people play, you will be able to store the points of each one, with the method described above. And if someone will ask you to tell the cards they played and in which order, you will put each point and each of them in as many places, in the order in which they were taken. This will be easy for you, if you had prepared the places in advance and invented the images. Because you cannot create the images and the places and memorize at the same time: because, when the mind is busy at one thing, it loses the others. And this can be enough for all cards, that are different in the different nations. If three or four people will play, the places must be divided in three or four parts: and in these parts there must be as many empty places as the cards that each player holds in his hand. You will fill these places with images as soon as the cards are played.

As explained by Frances Yates, ancient memory techniques required to imagine "places" in which to store "images" corresponding to the things to be remembered.

It would be interesting to know if the passage about playing cards is in Romberch too (I guess so).

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks for finding and translating that Marco. I didn't know that Romberch had been translated, let alone by Dolce.

The card passage is in the Latin too, as you suspected. He also has a way to memorize Chess (and other games) if I remember correctly. I think I posted the passages here once, but if not, I'll post them again.

The book is available at Gallica (PDF) -
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k594964

Probably elsewhere on the web too.

Ross

Ross G Caldwell

The Romberch on cards (he has dice and chess too) is folios 100r-101v.

romberchcards1.jpg

romberchcards2.jpg

It looks as if Dolce has adapted the text to his country. Romberch names German-type suits (rosa, nola, scuta, glans - rose, bell, shield and acorn) and then the Latin, and also has a "Rex Regina: Eques pedes", so it seems to be a 56 card pack.

Ross

DoctorArcanus

Thank you for the Latin version, Ross. It seems that the Italian version is somehow shorter: Romberch had more examples.
Possibly, the dialog form is an addition by Dolce?

Ross G Caldwell

DoctorArcanus said:
Thank you for the Latin version, Ross. It seems that the Italian version is somehow shorter: Romberch had more examples.
Possibly, the dialog form is an addition by Dolce?

Marco

Yes, Romberch's is not in dialogue form.

John Meador

not isolated occurences

Thanks Marco!
This brings to mind the account of Girolamo Cardano here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/archive/index.php/t-68882.html

"It is more fitting for the wise man to play at cards than at dice, and at triumphus rather than other games for this is a sort of midway game played with open cards, very similar to the game of Chess." Cardano also recorded that Tarocchi was one of a number of games he had played.

"...When Cardano practised the Art of Memory, he concentrated on the numerical-linguistic and architectural images advocated by the Cabalists and Lullists. By methodically intensifying these mental gymnastics and visualizations, he would achieve an "intuitive flash" that made the proper connections and analogies of all elements- natural and supernatural-vividly clear. From this insight, he could sometimes predict future events."
-Marsha Schuchard: Restoring the Temple of Vision, 2002.

And Alexander Dicson, here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/archive/index.php/t-73733.html

"...two especial uses, I have often exercised this art for the better help of my own memory, and the same as yet has never failed me. Although I have heard some of Master Dickson, his schollers, that have prooved such cunning Cardplayers hereby, that they could tell the course of all the Cards and what every gamester had in his hand. So ready we are to turn an honest and commendable invention into craft and cousenage."
-Hugh Platt: The Jewell House of Art and Nature 1594

"As a kinsman and friend of John Dee...Platt recognized that Dickson (like Dee) had to be cautious in his teaching in order to avoid accusations of magical practice lamented that such charges were used to prevent advances in natural sciences, for Cardano, Baptista Porta, and "the rest of that magical crew" are used as bogeymen to instill "terror unto all new professors of rare and profitable inventions."

-John

DoctorArcanus

Thank you John for these other occurrences.

Another "point of contact" between the "ars memorandi" and playing cards is the Grammatica Figurata by Mathias (or Matthias) Ringmann that was recently pointed out by Huck (if I remember correctly, the post was lost in the hard disk crash).
Another similar example is the deck by Thomas Murner, also from the beginning of the XVI Century.

So we have both the Art of Memory used as a tool in card playing, and card playing used as a tool in the Art of Memory.

Teheuti

The Art of Memory involved far more than simply memorizing things. I highly recommend two books by Mary Carruthers:

• The Book of Memory: A Study of Memory and Medieval Culture
• The Craft of Though: Meditation, Rhetoric, and the Making of Images, 400-1200

Nothing on cards - but a lot about how pictures were used for 'creative thinking.'