Tarotmama's Crochet pouch patterns!

Barbaras Ahajusts

Oh! This is different from the photo I saw of boucle. I saw a flat piece of material. So from seeing your beautiful creation, I assume boucle comes as thread too!
I really need to get to a craft store come January just to look at all the fancy threads that are out there, now! I've been missing so much by shopping at Walmart's limited stock!:laugh:

Sinduction

If you want a stiffer bag, you can use two strands of yarn as well. I use two strands of ww and a G hook for my bags.

Morgane_49

This is going to be my first crochet project, ever!

Lots of 'youtube' going on here, and I've invented a few new colourful words...

FatesLady

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Oh! This is different from the photo I saw of boucle. I saw a flat piece of material. So from seeing your beautiful creation, I assume boucle comes as thread too!
I really need to get to a craft store come January just to look at all the fancy threads that are out there, now! I've been missing so much by shopping at Walmart's limited stock!:laugh:

It's a type of yarn, not (to my knowledge) a type of fabric. I crocheted the pouch using TarotMama's directions as a basic guidelines, changing them in a few places to suit my preferences. I do it with recipes, too. :)

silverwings94

Barbaras Ahajusts said:

If your Walmart is like mine they have very few yarns left. I believe they will be eventually fazing out the craft departments.
Go to Michaels, Hobby lobby, JoAnns and A.C.Moore they have great selections of yarn.s. I have a few specialty yarn shops around here but they are way too expensive . I only get that yarn if I am doing something really special.

tarotmama

Second bag pattern!

Here's the next bag pattern I'm going to post. Sorry for the crappy photos. I just finished it a few minutes ago and it's already dark (I'll swap out the crappy photos for better ones tomorrow when there's daylight)!

Here's the recipe for you to make it yourself!!

The stitch is called a grit stitch.

I used a size F hook (which also says it's 4.0mm... hmm... Clover of Japan
!@(#*@&) and pretty thin yarn. I think it's DK or even sport weight. You could probably use sock yarn.

You CAN use thicker yarn and I've made one with a worsted/dishcloth weight cotton (#8473 in the pics), but the fabric will be very dense and thick.

You'll also need 4-6 small buttons. I think the ones that are meant for sweaters will work best (not the kind with 2-4 holes you sew on fabric).

Measure the size of your deck. Chain multiples of 2 + 1 to turn. Mine was a ch27, but if I make this over, I'd rather have done a ch21 I think. I didn't take into account that I like *really snug* tarot bags.

Row 1: DC in 3rd chain from the hook, *sk 1 st, work (1 sc, 1dc) in next* repeat to last 2 chains, skip next chain, sc in last chain, turn
Row 2: ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, *sk 1 st, work (1 sc, 1dc) in next* repeat to last 2 chains, skip next chain, sc in last chain, turn

Keep going until you have a piece of fabric that is approx. 3 times the width of your deck. I kept laying 3 cards on top of it till I felt it was a comfortable spread cloth. Fasten off.

Now, along one of the long ends, make 2 rows of sc. Fold your bag in 3rds around the deck and determine where you want your buttons. I used two buttons on each side, but my next will definitely have three buttons. I decided I wanted my buttons on the middle section and so the button holes would be on the bottom of the bag.

Figure out how many stitches wide you need your button holes to be. For my bag, 2 stitches would be wide enough an opening.

Use safety pins to mark where you need to place button holes.

Make another row of sc's along that edge, but where you put the safety pins, just ch2 (or however many stitches you need to make for your buttons) to create an opening. Skip the stitches you chain over and go to the end, ch1, turn, and make one last row of sc.

Do the same on the other side.

I made a row of SC along one of the short edges, but not the other (because I got tired and sore).

Once you have the button holes done, fold up your bag again, press your buttons through the holes, and sew the buttons on with a tapestry needle and matching yarn.

Weave in the ends.

Marvel at your ingenuity!! ;)

Let me know if there are any questions! I'll continue to edit this as I find mistakes in my pattern. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8467.JPG
    IMG_8467.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_8475.JPG
    IMG_8475.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_8478.JPG
    IMG_8478.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_8473.JPG
    IMG_8473.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 915

.traveller.

Hello Kitty!

tarotmama, you're my hero!

What kind of yarn is that? I've been following along, but since I am a knitter rather than a crocheter, I have not had much to contribute.

Barbaras Ahajusts

It's a button up sides? OMG...how adorable!
I will stop crocheting my tarot box just to start this one!

BTW, the colors are so pretty in yours!!!:D

Allison70

I've started working on a bag!
I wasn't sure what size hook to use, as hooks here are sized in numbers not letters. I'm working with a 3.0 and I think it's about right, maybe a little small. Depends how stretchy it is. Or, of course, how big a deck goes in it.

Can anyone tell me what the letter hook sizes are in numbers?

tarotmama

Allison70 said:
Can anyone tell me what the letter hook sizes are in numbers?

Sorry! A G hook is 4.0mm

Sometimes I use a set of Japanese Hamanaka hooks that have numbers and that messes me up too. :)