Greenwood Tarot 4 of Cups Boredom

Mi-Shell

4 of Cups Boredom:
From Chesca Potter:
The Fours
Major arcana: Greenman and Greenwoman Position on wheel: Midsummer Solstice. Chakra: heart.

A white hart and a peacock, creatures of visionary beauty, drink from the waters of life from which the vines of love grow. Trapped inside four walls of their own making, a figure sits apathetic and lethargic, unaware of the bounty of life around them. Being shut indoors, bored and unstimulated. Pent up frustration. Need to get out into the world.

Mi-Shell

Four of Cups Boredom

I have a beef with this card.
Not with the artwork but with the whole concept of Boredom being conected to the “The Thinker”,as this well known and timeles sculptur is commonly called. It is a grave offering from the Hamangia cultur in what is now Romania. It has been dated to ~5000 to 4600 BCE
The Hamangia cultur and its neighbouring contemporaries are all well known for the many voluptuous Goddess figurines and anthropomorphig figures of exeptional beauty for the copper age. The Thinker even inspiered modern artists like Rodin th create similar statues of colossal size.
I wish, I could make the trip down to New York City, where, until the end of April 2010 the exhibit “Lost World of Old Europe: Danube Valley5000 to 3500 BCE” is set up at the “Institute for the Study of the Ancient World.

here the link to the exhibit:
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/origins/2009/11/the-lost-world-of-old-europe-s.html

To me it seems, that the imagery on this card is unsucsessfuly squeezed into an RWS framework to fit “boredom” the feeling usualy invoked by the 4 of Cups.
What I see in this card is not boredom at all, but someone THINKING deeeeeeply!
About the meaning of what they have seen on a trance journey - or about how to aply it in the external life of the living green world af Animals and Plants, beyond the inner world of the shamanic traveller. The geometric setup of the image, the outer swirrls and spirals as well as the inner red flirring colors remind me of a beginning trance journey.
Is the Thinker going into trance or has she just come back?
We already talked a little about the meaning of the White Hart as an Otherworld Guide.
The Peakock shall follow...
So: What do you think?
What nectar was/ is in the cups?
Water?
Wine?
Soma? The drink of wisdom and vision?

Attachments

• 112409_ARCH-B.jpg
    112409_ARCH-B.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 186

Mi-Shell

Peacock:
The worship of the Peacock has been reported as a survival of Tammuz worship. In Greece the Peacock was sacred to Hera and kept in her temple. Theymay neither be caught nor annoyed. It is sacred among the Jats and Khonds of India and in the Punjab its feathers, smoked, will heal snakebite. Elsewhere, waved over the sick, the feathers will cure disease. However the Moslems of Java report that the Peacock was a Guardian at the gate of paradise. then he ate the Devil, and so got that one into the gate.
The Kama Sutra recommends that if the bone of a Peacock be covered with gold and tied on the right hand, it will make a man "lovely" in the eyes of his lady.
In European lore the feathers are unlucky and the cry of the Peacock is a bad omen.Then, from the medieval times on the Peacock was the symbol of the soul and Masks made from the feathers were popular in the middleages. The serving of Peacocks as a delicacy was reserved to the royal court and the birds were kept in the castle garden. About Peakock meat however it is known, that it is quite tough but people always have assumed that anything that looks beautiful must taste good.

Le Fanu

Mi-Shell said:
So: what do you think?
Water?
Wine?
Interesting that, unlike conventional meanings of this card the hart and peacock do actually appear to drink, or rather, do actually point their snout/beak into the chalices, thus there is a flicker of curiosity/ interest, so all is not lost. In the RWS image, there is no expression of curiosity whatsoever.

And I agree with you about the Thinker image. This is pensiveness rather than boredom. But maybe here there is the danger of overthinking, set into a framework of a more spontaneous "journeying."

Aren't peacocks immortal, too?

Mi-Shell

Interesting observations, Le Faun! :)

Were I to draw this card reverse - that would be my first hunch.
But reverse Greenwood cards????
Then again, there are people, they live mostly in their heads
.... Think think think is all I do....
(Feeeeeling is tooo scarrrrry!!!)

Also there would be: I think, therefore I am....
While I am more like: I feel, therefore I am....

Cat*

Mi-Shell said:
To me it seems, that the imagery on this card is unsucsessfulu squeezed into an RWS framework to fit “boredom” the feeling usualy invoked by the 4 of Cups.
What I see in this card is not boredom at all, but someone THINKING deeeeeeply!
I see it as someone who has voluntarily taken a time-out and has withdrawn from the life around them. This is a time to let things "stew" a little, to come to a deeper understanding or a decision. It's temporarily leaving the outside life to focus on the inside life.

Then again, the separation isn't complete (how could it be?!) as shown by the way the white hart and peacock actually cross the border and reach into the inner space of the square.

It could also mean trust in the richness of life - it won't be gone if we withdraw for a while but it will still be there in all its bounty for when we return to participate in it.

Mi-Shell said:
So: what do you think?
Water?
Wine?
My spontaneous answer would be: water, because water feeds all life and is part of all plants and animals... In that way, water also is a symbol for a very basic and universal source of nourishment.

And look what I've found: the Thinker has been put onto both a bill and a coin of Romanian money- isn't that another interesting link to the element of Stones/Earth? (I've also attached smaller versions of the linked images so Mi-Shell can easily access them, too, with her slow dial-up...)

Here's another short article about that statue, the place where it has been found, the Hamangian culture, and how the statue became an icon that has even been sent into space.

Even more exciting: a website that shows the original statue in an image that you can turn around by clicking and dragging the cursor sideways (it may take a little until it moves for the first time, and you may have to click onto the button with the four arrows, but then it should work)! That website also has more information about the statue on the bottom:
Interpretation:
The attitude of thinking of this statuette could be linked to meditation about life and death, considering that the artefact belongs to a funerary context. The Thinker was also interpreted as a vegetation God that has to die in order to resurrect the following spring, or as a Death God, consort of the great Goddess.
Considering this, Chesca Potter's take starts to make more sense to me. I can see a link between thinking/meditating about death/loss and how that could lead to not noticing the bounty of life that's going on around one. Or is that too much of a modern Western understanding of death?

Mi-Shell said:
In European lore the feathers are unlucky and the cry of the Peacock is a bad omen.
I know Peacock as a symbol for beauty and vanity. I have no idea if this is related to earlier European lore, but I thought I'd put it out here.

Together with the withdrawal I talked about above, this could mean not living a superficial life that is only concerned with outward appearances but to also spend enough time to "simplify" and go within.

Le Fanu said:
But maybe here there is the danger of overthinking, set into a framework of a more spontaneous "journeying."
Mi-Shell said:
Then again, there are people, they live mostly in their heads
.... Think think think is all I do....
(Feeeeeling is tooo scarrrrry!!!)

Also there would be: I think, therefore I am....
While I am more like: I feel, therefore I am....
I can see that in the card, too, maybe even as a way of overdoing the reflection and withdrawal from "life" I described earlier.

It might not be a reversed meaning as such (as I never use reversals anyway), but it could still be part of the range of meaning for this card, depending on its context in a reading.

Attachments

• 4cups_thinker_bill.jpg
    4cups_thinker_bill.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 4cups_thinker_coin.jpg
    4cups_thinker_coin.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 185

Le Fanu

Great links, Cat*. And interesting take on the card. Yes - beauty and vanity - how could we overlook that; goes with the self-centred overthinking thing...

lark

With clients it's been coming up for a few scenarios.
1. When someone is dissatisfied with their lot and think the grass is greener over in the Jones yard...
2. When someone has a concern or problem that they really need to sit down and think about instead of just keeping busy to avoid it.
3. And also if the peacock stands out for me it has been meaning that the clients unhappiness stems from a need to always have the best, be the most attractive, be the center of attention....actually that their own ego is causing them to be dissatisfied, or unhappy, not really the person or situation they are blaming it on.
4. If the frame work of the box really stands out and the person is complaining about things not changing, they might actually be to afraid, or lazy, or unmotivated, or don't have the skills to move themselves out of the box into the area where the cups are.
And they need some encouragement.
The white hart came up and stood out as someone who was depressed because they were a compulsive eater...that was a surprise for me...:)

Anyway just wanted to contribute some of the ways this card has been talking to me in a reading.
Love all the pictures you are finding...just wonderful to share all this here.

edited to add; actually the card has never come up really has boredom accept for my own personal readings I've sometimes interpreted it as that..
but I think is is more dissatisfaction, than boredom.

Le Fanu

lark said:
but I think is is more dissatisfaction, than boredom.
Yes! We forget that the title The Thinker is our addition but if you look at it, the pose could be a pose of yearning... That sculpture may not be thinking at all!

Milfoil

I also have a beef with this card simply because if drawn as a daily draw card it never relates to a boring day.

4s to me mean stable, established etc. This card seems to show both the possibility to become complacent with ones successes but also the need to be grateful and a realisation that stable foundations have to be built upon.

I think this card seems to warn about resting upon one's laurels. It came up as a daily draw card for me yesterday and I can assure you that yesterday was anything but boring. Many opportunities came along out of the blue and previous foundations laid were built upon.