The requirements of an astrology-friendly society

ATrickyBusiness

What did the Sumerians, Mayas, Egyptians, and Chinese all have in common? A literate elite that did a lot of record keeping, going back thousands of years.

Thus my problem with claims of any supposed Celtic or Runic or etc astrology that supposedly came from mostly oral cultures, or even what I used to believe, that all cultures had an indigenous system of astrology, but let's face it, you really can't have it if there aren't that many records to begin with. If any.

This isn't to say that the Celts or other mostly oral cultures might not have had something like the equivalent of Lunar mansions, I have heard that Arab and nomadic cultures had such things as well. Nor that there aren't any reasons to believe that skies were not watched for omens in a less-literate society (not to be confused with illiterate, and I want to be as culturally [not to be confused with ethical]) relativistic here as possible.

But the problem here is that without extensive record keeping, you can't build or build upon complex systems, whether it's physical, mathematical or astrological. I'm not saying that advances in anything are not possible, but writing really did make a huge impact on the world, especially the cultures that took advantage of it. How else could we possibly now have laptops and wireless connections? There is a certain level of technical advancement that can not be accomplished without writing, thus my skepticism of the so-called 'celtic astrology' remains, as do so many other systems that are alleged to come from a secret tradition without any relevant much less translated source materials available.

Anything you guys think I should have added here? Objections? I'm interested in any opinions on this, whether or not I might agree with them.

Bernice

ATrickyBusiness...without extensive record keeping, you can't build or build upon complex systems, whether it's physical, mathematical or astrological. I'm not saying that advances in anything are not possible, but writing really did make a huge impact on the world, especially the cultures that took advantage of it. How else could we possibly now have laptops and wireless connections? There is a certain level of technical advancement that can not be accomplished without writing, thus my skepticism of the so-called 'celtic astrology' remains, as do so many other systems that are alleged to come from a secret tradition without any relevant much less translated source materials available.
I think we're on the same page Tricky :)

However, that is not to say that there are some areas whereby the 'written records' have been (and are) deliberately kept hidden. But in such cases, why even mention that the lore/system/belief exists?

Bee :)

ATrickyBusiness

Bernice said:
I think we're on the same page Tricky :)

However, that is not to say that there are some areas whereby the 'written records' have been (and are) deliberately kept hidden. But in such cases, why even mention that the lore/system/belief exists?

Bee :)

The forbidden always drives book sales. Oh wait, I'm talking about fluffy publications, nevermind.

FaireMaiden

I'm sorry, perhaps I've completely lost the plot here, but, what do all your statements have to do with 'the requirements of an astrology-friendly society'?

ATrickyBusiness

FaireMaiden said:
I'm sorry, perhaps I've completely lost the plot here, but, what do all your statements have to do with 'the requirements of an astrology-friendly society'?

Development.