1948 Modiano Cartomanzia 184 (Reprinted Cagliostro Tarot circa 1991?)

Cerulean

What a odd world, what a world of funny quirks each tarot deck can bring you!

I know one is supposed to love all one's little keepsakes equally--but this kinda has my fondness because as a misfit deck, it fits this little miss, but doesn't match...an oddity...well, if you have time and want to, hope this attempt at explaining it's quirks help you:

But here's my best attempt to explain what I was able to post within forum size limits:

The attachments that I was able to post:

*PDF shows the 1948 Modiano Cartomanzia 184

------1948 Ace of Coins, a bit of the LWB and cover of the LWB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*JPG with the Ace of Coins from three decks:

----1948 Modiano deck (notice that it is smaller than the other modern decks)

--------Keywords only at bottom
--------No Etteilla numbering on top
--------smaller overall
--------deeper coloring matches the Italian printing when seeing it in person.

Comparison:
----English language 1991 Cagliostro
----Italian Modiano 184 circa 2000)

*JPG with 2 World Cards - the 1948 and circa 2000 Italian edition

---- 1948 Modiano World Card is number 22 (the Fool is number 21)

----circa 2000 World card from the updated 2000 Modiano Italian edition is numbered 21 (the Fool is 0 and 22) -- it mimics the American 1991 Cagliostro edition.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comparison with 2 World Cards - the 1948 and 1991 English Cagliostro edition

---- 1948 World card from Cartamanzia 184 is number 22....check the right side corner at the bottom of the card...the numbering differs from the modified 1991 reprint on the right. [The Fool (21) --not pictured) - is listed as card number 21 after Judgement (20)]

---- 1991 World card from Cagliostro is numbered 21 (The Fool is 0 and 22)
Plus it has Etteilla numbering and keyword added to the top. It is also larger overall and lighter coloring than Italian versions of 1948 and circa 2000 editions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Notes:

My 1991 blue back Cagliostro comes with two blank cards

My circa 2000 red back Cartomanzia 184 comes with one title card and another card with the characteristics of Zodiac signs divided into four seasons with the listing of the appropriate zodiac signs--for instance, Gemini is listed as Spring. (These are modern additions and not in the the 1948 Modiano Cartomanzia 184).

Note that astrology of Papus Divinatory Tarot seems to work better without having the dates noted on the minor cards. For instance Papus/Etteilla would place June 10-20th as the two of cups (card number 48 in the Divinatory Tarot text) -- and that would be within my birth range. I would be able to check the 1948 Modiano Cartomanzia 184 and use the two of cups for that astrology period if I like -- there's no modern dates printed on the minor cards to conflict with me using the Papus / Etteilla Divinatory Tarot text.

But according to the 1991 Cagliostro Tarot, someone assigned June 15th-21st of June on the deck's Five of Cups. All of us trying to figure out the 1991 Cagliostro Tarot astrology would be confused if we tried to match it what was printed on the 1991 Cagliostro to the text in the translated Papus' Divinatory Tarot. The poor 1991 Cagliostro Tarot astrology differs considerably from the Papus Divinatory Tarot text -- and it is the dates printed on the minor cards of the 1991 Cagliostro and circa 2000 Cartomanzia 184 that was throwing me off...

Hope these notes explain:

-My guess is the numberings on both the Fool and World in the 1948 Cartomanzia 184 were probably 'changed' or 'updated' in the 1991 Cagliostro and 2000 Cartomanzia 184 to reflect modern thinking.

-The dates printed on the minor cards and decanates noted in the 1991 Cagliostro booklet were also reflected in the updated printing of the circa 2000 Modiano Cartomanzia 184.

What a strange, quirky assortment of 'non-matching details' in this little guy!
It makes for a squirrely journey and perhaps you better stop reading right now...

Attachments

• mod18448.pdf
    488 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20110108_080140.jpg
    IMG_20110108_080140.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_20110108_080208.jpg
    IMG_20110108_080208.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_20110108_080327.jpg
    IMG_20110108_080327.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 554

rwcarter

Cerulean,

This sounds like the kind of puzzle that's right up your alley! Comparing my Messus Summa Cartomanzia 184s to your scans, I also notice that the art is different. For example in the 2 Cups you posted, the cup on the left has a white band while the cup on the right has a yellow band. In my MS decks, both cups have yellow bands. And the grays in the tiles and cup stems are blue in my MS decks. I see the same gray/blue shift in the Ace Pentacles.

There's also something strange going on with the image/interpretation on the Ace Pentacles. In my MS decks, the larger flower is the top of the card and the FABBRICA CARTE DA GIUOCO is read upright. The upright meaning is Ricchezza and the reversed meaning is Soddisfazione. Looking at your image though if the Nov. 1948 and stamp image are upright, then the larger flower is at the bottom of the image, FABBRICA CARTE DA GIUOCO is read upside down and the upright and reversed meanings match my MS decks. But if you take the larger flower and FABBRICA as the top of the card, then the interpretations are reversed!

Misfit indeed!

nisaba

My brain's currently out of gear - I'll come back to this. Remind me not to look at that sensational Dancing Woman first, when I come back, otherwise I'll be reduced to an inchoate mess again.

Looks like a future fascinating conversation, though.

_________
After having a two-hundred-pound babysitter fart on your face and yell "Pow!", [literary criticism] holds few terrors. (Stephen King)

Cerulean

There are scans I have to reduce in size and ...

misfit details to explore...so I will check colors a little closer too.

No huge news tarot-wise, just fascinating charms.

Who knew a vintage and winsome sixty-plus-year-old misfit could be so alluring?
My husband has been timesharing my attention and hearing me chat off and on...he just grins.

Instead of a paperback, I am playimg with a little wacky pack of cards.

Back later, thanks for checking this out.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Etteilla order in minors in booklet

King of Wands to Ace of Coins and meanings upright then reversed.

If I have time will add upright notes.

Later: Added Ace.doc. notes with upright meaning (Italian keyword as it appears on cards. For first sequence: King of Wands (First Etteilla/Divinatory Tarot (Papus) down to Ace of Wands; King of Hearts down to Ace of Hearts; next King of Swords down to Ace of Swords; finally the last sequence is King of Coins down to Ace of Coins. (Etteilla/Divinatory Tarot (Papus)

Hope these hints are helpful in terms of checking out 20th century tarots

Cerulean

Attachments

• Ace.doc
    75 KB · Views: 222

Cerulean

Thirty Two Card Meanings --Papus & Etteilla & Modiano 1948 184

My intent was to at least check how consistent my Modiano 184 was to Etteilla or traditional cartomancy. For this vintage deck, the metaphysical association might come in part from the cartomancy meanings. Thankfully, the Etteilla meanings seemed to have been fairly consistent from the 1890 through these 1950 decks.

I hope this listing I attach is helpful to card and cartomancy fans! I am not certain how or why yet, but it seems my journeys with older Tarot decks seem to have a lot to do with the variations from 1850 - 1950 that have Etteilla meanings or associations...whether the deck is English, French, Italian or a later American vintage find.

Here are my resources:

As I looked at the Modiano 184 meanings from Italian to English, I used the Divinatory Tarot by Papus text (translated by Beryl Stockman, copyright 2008, Aeon Books). I also checked out an 1890 French Lismon Etteilla and an almost virtual duplicate, the Grimaud Grand Etteilla circa 1900.

The meanings/keywords are very similar to the Modiano 184 from 1948. The only exception would be the Lismon Etteilla's Ace of Wands/Ace of Clubs
has Birth/Nativity as it's reversed meaning--the Papus' Divinatory Tarot 1909, Grimaud Grand Etteilla circa 1900 and the Modiano 184 from 1948 all have Birth/Nativity as it's upright meaning. (Papageno/One Potato discovered the 'misprint' in comparisons done earlier among Lismon Etteilla versions..earlier threads on Lismon Etteilla should yield the image/notes as well).

I am trying to fill in the blanks and this excerpt with keywords, some of Papus summary of Etteilla keyword meanings and you might see some little surprising suggestions. Ten of Swords/Ten of Spades has a note under the Papus drawing as "Affliction turned to Advantage" when 'Affliction, Tears, Weeping," etc. seems the most common meaning. Some of you readers with Lenormand or playing cards might recognize some similar playing card / Patience-style deck associations in the lists of meanings for the 32 cards. The court cards are the strongest examples (Queen of Spades/Swords - "Widow" or Queen of Cups/Hearts - "Fair-haired woman").

Again, am not certain if this might be important...but the similarities and gathering of these notes and things might be helpful or tasty food for future carta-mental munching/musings. Certainly the learning was joyful and I thank you for taking a taste...or just a peek.

Majors afterward.

Attachments

• Ace2.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 169

Cerulean

The majors as per Occult Encyclopedia 1919-1939

The reprint that I have...has the above dates.

Link and notes to follow.

Notes:
P.231 (237 in the pdf)
Juggler (Magician)
Popess
Empress
Pope
Lover
Chariot
Justice
Hermit
Wheel of Fortune - Note - this is considered the 'best' sign and it's "advantage" is noted in the 1955 instructions by Dr. Marius
Strength
Hanged Man
Death
Temperance
Devil
Madhouse (Tower)
Star
Moon
Sun
Judgement
Madman
World

Here is the Occult Encyclopedia pdf link.

http://www.americandeception.com/index.php?page=usercat&catid=23

Cartomancy begins at the following:

pages 217 - 235, although the copy says page 220 to 238 in the book text

Happy reading.