Anyone trimmed the Sacred Rose?

kalliope

So I practiced on my Spiral Tarot, with good results. I posted photos in the big Trimming thread. Here's my post about it:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2654480&postcount=131

Since we've talked a little bit about tools and technique here, I thought I'd post my thoughts after my little experiment.

So, first, I bought these Razor-Edged Soft Touch Fiskars scissors. They cut well and are nice and sharp, but I found them a little stiff to open after a cut. I also got a little bruise on my middle finger from where my last three fingers were smashed into the handle. I don't have monster hands, but they're not dainty hands, either.

I then tried TWO different paper trimmers, despite GryffinSong's warnings! First I had a Cricut, then a 9" Fiskars SureCut, both of which are sliding razor types of trimmers. I found it hard to tell where the Cricut would cut, and it subtly frayed the cut edges of the cards (just like GryffinSong said, yes, I know :p). I returned it and got the Fiskars. I love the SureCut wire feature, and found it very easy to tell exactly where it would cut. But, it ALSO left the edges of the cards frayed/splayed/untidy, and it really bothered me. Beware also -- reviewers of the Fiskars SureCuts often say that over time the wire itself frays and sometimes breaks.

So I went and got these Fiskars SoftTouch 8" MultiPurpose Scissors (sometimes also called "Easy Action" scissors.) They're great! Plenty of room for my fingers without any pressure points, and the spring action reopening is a nice feature, too. And they're plenty sharp. I don't know why I thought I needed the razor sharp ones. I wish I could return them -- they weren't cheap, even with a coupon!

I'm really disappointed in the trimmers, even though I had a gut feeling they wouldn't work. I wanted them to, though, because I want to trim my Rohrig, and worry about wavering cuts along the vertical sides. I'll probably try the trimmer on the title cards from other decks, just to see how the cardstock reacts, though, just in case it works. And because I'm crazy }), I'm tempted to get a THIRD pair of scissors with a longer cut just for the Rohrig deck. Yes, I know... :rolleyes:

As for corner trimmers, I used this Medium-sized EK Success Corner Punch (picture), which was the only one at the first store I went to. It's too big for most cards, I think, but it's reliable, and rarely messed up. (I think this small one from the same brand would be perfect.) I then bought this Fiskars punch on sale, but I find it really difficult to situate the card correctly, and get mispunched corners way too often. But the small punch selection is the perfect size. I should have been patient, since I have a small punch coming in the mail. I just couldn't wait to start trimming!

So that ends my really, really long :bugeyed: trimming tool review. I promise I'll eventually get to the Sacred Rose and will post pictures.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
-kalliope

Edited to correct typo!