The Empress isn't always a mother ...

nisaba

... in fact, in a reading for an unknown client recently, she was a Landscape Architect.

Recently retired woman, at a loss for something to do. threw a few cards. Told her she'd be happier if she did a course of study. Asked her what kinds of things she liked to do. She shrugged, didn't seem to enjoy anything very much. Pulled the Empress, in the Anna K. She stared out of the card at me, and said: "Tell her she should retrain as a landscape architect. She's too old to become a gardener per sae, but if she did a course as a landscape architect, young muscly boys will do all the heavy work, and she'll get to do all the fun stuff."

So I put the idea to her. Turned out she loved her garden, and gardening generally, and arranging things in gardens. Perfect occupation for her, involving the training I initially thought she'd need. Satisfied customer. Smug deck almost gloating at me. Happy reader. Not a mother in sight.

tarotlyn

I just got though telling someone that the Anna K is a 'TALKING' deck...
(before you posted this)...love that deck for that reason. The people in this deck
are so expressive!

Jes

The Empress, to me is all about nurturing. So gardening would be a perfect example of nurturing growing things. :)

I have had a few examples of the empress coming up as not a mother, but a farmer's wife, a dog breeder and a few others.

I will have to check out the anna K deck....

:)

GryffinSong

Thank you for sharing this. I'm an artist, and I've never been pregnant. I've never wanted to be pregnant or to raise children. And yet the Empress is one of my favorite cards. The Empress has always felt like a very important indication of my creation of art or craft or other beautiful things. Creation isn't limited to children, and I'm glad to hear of such a lovely example.

Jes

GryffinSong said:
Thank you for sharing this. I'm an artist, and I've never been pregnant. I've never wanted to be pregnant or to raise children. And yet the Empress is one of my favorite cards. The Empress has always felt like a very important indication of my creation of art or craft or other beautiful things. Creation isn't limited to children, and I'm glad to hear of such a lovely example.

well put :) I agree.

bjmeacham

Very interesting...I'm a landscape architect and my soul card is the Empress. I got into the field long before I knew anything about tarot. BTW I'm not a mother either...

aranarose

The Empress haunts me right before I go through one of my, "Must create something..." phases. This could be knitting projects, writing a book, or whatever, but she's a reminder that I'm going to be starting something new very, very soon. Quite irritating when I've already got a dozen unfinished projects, and she shows up.

She never, ever means pregnancy for readings about me, especially since that ship sailed long ago due to issues with birthing my son :) Which is good; I don't want another child, she's probably destroy the world or something...

Carla

The Empress never means literal pregnancy or motherhood to me, either. She's a universal mother, source. Creative aspect of the universe, in a very of-the-earth sense. Actual motherhood and pregnancy very seldom spring to mind when I draw this card.

GreenMoonBeam

Yeah for all who see that other part of The Empress. :heart:

Found that label of 'mother' personally distressing. However nuturing I do not.

As for the Anna K deck, I think it is brill. Love how it answers. :)