New to The Elder Futhark

Scotty_Bane

I am currently crafting an Elder Futhark set from some wood and am excited about learning all there is to know on the subject.
If there is an abundance of information online on the subject I have not found it so forgive me if I missed other threads and Links please.

1) I am Curious about the three Aetts and what if any major differences there are between them as a whole instead of a makeup of the singular runes. I suppose a good example question is: Are the three Aetts in The Elder Futhark simmilar in any way to the suits in a Tarot deck?

2) I Am also curious about casting techniques and all that implies.

I thank you for any replies.

Milfoil

From the Norse lands where the Runes seem to originate from (in this form) the belief system associated with Odin, the one who brought the runes after hanging from the tree etc, the three aetts or layers could be considered to represent the 3 worlds (lower, middle and upper) worlds.

They seem to have various associations with the Norse Gods and their influence over the other runes in each aett.

crystal dawn

there are many different types of futharks and futhorcs. There is the elder futhark of 24 runes which is probually the most used some people add a 25th blank rune, though there has been no official proof for or against the use of a 25 blank rune, others tend to stick to the traditional 24 runes. The northumbrian futhorc of 33 runes,the anglo saxon futhorc of 29 runes, the younger futhark of 16 runes which was later extended to 18 runes and finally to 19 runes,the gothic futhark of 25 runes,and the armenian futhark of 18 runes and probually many more.
A link has been made with the tarot and runes by different scholars,but they seem to vary quite drastically.

blessed be

crystal dawn

Scotty_Bane

…the three aetts or layers could be considered to represent the 3 worlds (lower, middle and upper) worlds.

That should have been obvious to me thanks.

…some people add a 25th blank rune, though there has been no official proof for or against…

I have heard about the 25th blank rune and from all logical info I have gathered it seems that somewhere along the way a machine needed an extra piece to finish the mold in rows and columns. Plus I like to have information when I ask for it. No insolent little silent runes. If I am called to a scrying then I will use the proper tools.

Thank you so very much for all the info on the runes though. Holy cow… ask and you shall receive I suppose. Now I am off to look for reading material on that info.

caridwen

...I have heard about the 25th blank rune and from all logical info I have gathered...

As far as I am aware, there is no blank rune. There used to be a blank put into rune kits in case the owner lost one and that was interpretated in the 80s by a runemeister as the '25th' rune. It has no historical precedence.

There is a rune study section here you might like to look through.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15597

Here are some threads on Rune books recommendations:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=115829&highlight=rune+books
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=148682&highlight=rune+books
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=135830&highlight=rune+books

Scotty_Bane

Thanks for the links they are going to keep me busy for a while to put it lightly.

crystal dawn

That should have been obvious to me thanks.

I have heard about the 25th blank rune and from all logical info I have gathered it seems that somewhere along the way a machine needed an extra piece to finish the mold in rows and columns. Plus I like to have information when I ask for it. No insolent little silent runes. If I am called to a scrying then I will use the proper tools.QUOTE]

lol, love your response to the blank rune and your probually right, yes alot of people feel that way about it. I use the northumbrian set, where a blank rune has never been included.

blessed be

crystal dawn

Milfoil

Ah don't be so hard on the blank rune . . . it's great for propping up a wonky table. ;)