The Nahualli Animal Oracle Study Group

Caelum

Ivory and I have combined two of our deepest loves (animals and oracles) with one of the most mysterious and magical cultures from history (the Aztec) to create the Nahualli Animal Oracle.

It includes 31 animals which all have a place in Aztec lore and mysticism, as well as 9 Lords of the Night. The interplay between deity and animal is an important one, and we hope to spend some time here explaining how they interact. Briefly, however, the Night Lords each represent a Force, while the animal meanings shape how that force is manifested.

The word "Nahualli" is taken from the Aztec language and means shadow soul. This oracle can help everyone discover which animal might be their nahualli.

Finally, the oracle is perfectly suited for daily work and general divinatory questions. We invite everyone to ask a question for interpretation, which we'll use as a study tool by reviewing whch spread to use, doing a layout with the cards, and interpreting the answer, all right here on this forum.

You can visit our website for more information on the oracle. If you have any suggestions for what you would like to have covered here, please feel free to post them.

Our next thread will be to discuss the energies of Bat and Tlazolteotl; they are the Aztec Pluto and Persephone. We'll also use them as an example for how the Night Lords and the Animal energies work together.

Best Wishes,
Caelum & Ivory

dolphinprincess

I've looked at this oracle so many times. I'm so excited to see how this thread progresses...and to learn more about this set.

Thank you, Caelum :D

Caelum

I'm happy to hear that you've been attracted to the oracle. Please do participate.

Caelum

scorpio

Caelum & Ivory, welcome to the forums, lots of animal lovers as i am so i'm following this with excitement. I saw in the review that your book bases your personal totem on your day and hour of birth, would it be possible for you to tell me here the animal for saturday 7 to 8 AM? Also would love to hear the story of what started you on your journey towards making these cards and if you have ever been to visit any special places that this culture represents, look forward to more info on the animals, thanks!

HudsonGray

Did you take the old Aztec myths into account with the animals also? I remember reading abut a Jaguar baby sacrificed to the moon, a few years back.

How much of the blood & gore did you leave out of the deck (I know that culture was soaking in blood on the religious/governmental side).

Caelum

scorpio said:
Caelum & Ivory, welcome to the forums, lots of animal lovers as i am so i'm following this with excitement. I saw in the review that your book bases your personal totem on your day and hour of birth, would it be possible for you to tell me here the animal for saturday 7 to 8 AM? Also would love to hear the story of what started you on your journey towards making these cards and if you have ever been to visit any special places that this culture represents, look forward to more info on the animals, thanks!

I'm glad you're excited about the study group. Please feel free to participate in the threads with any questions or comments you might have.

The nahualli for the time period you mention is Turkey. Please keep in mind that this chart is just one of many ways to identify your birth nahualli. Turkey, however, is quite good as it represents Gifts and Blessings.

I'll try to answer your question about our journey towards the creation of this deck at some point in the future on the Study Group. Thanks again for taking such an enthusiastic interest.

Caelum

Caelum

HudsonGray said:
Did you take the old Aztec myths into account with the animals also? I remember reading abut a Jaguar baby sacrificed to the moon, a few years back.

How much of the blood & gore did you leave out of the deck (I know that culture was soaking in blood on the religious/governmental side).

We tried to create an authentic oracle by utilizing the original histories written by the Spanish priests like Sahagun and De Alcaron, as well as the old Mesoamerican myths that include the deities and animals that we have selected for the oracle. If you're interested in understanding more about the role of sacrifice, we do cover that somewhat in the book, however for a more detialed overview of how the Aztec civilization regarded sacrifice, who was selected for sacrifice, who volunteered, how it was done and why it was done, I'd like to refer you to Burr Cartright Brundage book The Fifth Sun.

Briefly however, the concept of sacrifice is one of exchange. The gods sacrificed themselves to create the earth and the human race, so humans must offer an exchange in order to keep the gods appeased. The oracle addresses the importance of an exchange, but it is not a book about the role of sacrifice in the Aztec religion.

Thanks for your interest, and please feel free to participate in the study group.

Caelum

scorpio

Thanks Caelum for the totem info, i have a beautiful turkey feather that i am more determined to place on my alter and hope it is not a "give away" to my cats! If you are looking to do a spread as an example i would love to have these cards read, Thanks!

Caelum

scorpio said:
Thanks Caelum for the totem info, i have a beautiful turkey feather that i am more determined to place on my alter and hope it is not a "give away" to my cats! If you are looking to do a spread as an example i would love to have these cards read, can you do a spread about an out of the blue dream i had about a long ago high school boyfriend that i haven't seen or heard from in years? Thanks!

I'll probably do some sample readings a little later, after more cards have been covered. Perhaps you'll remind me then and I'll be happy to include your question among the samples read.

Thanks,
Caelum