A question about astrology and minors in marseille deck

diaynoche

Hello there

There is something i would like to know about the minors in marselle deck. The possible links between astrology and the minors is something that i dont see clear. maybe you could help and guide a bit on this.

1. are there correspondences between astrological signs (and planets) and the minors in the marseilles deck?

2. if there are astrological correspondences, are they the same as the ones usually given to the minors in the golden down decks? for example, if the five of cups is mars in scorpio in the golden dawn decks, is that the same also for the five of cups in the marseille deck?

3. do you use at all astrology when reading the minors in marseille decks, or you just do a reading based only on the foliage, colour, suits, and numerology on the minor cards?

4. finally, are there any good books or sites that you could recommend that deal with the realtionship of astrology and the minors in the marseille decks?

thanks a lot for your help

Lee

Hello diaynoche,

1. are there correspondences between astrological signs (and planets) and the minors in the marseilles deck?
It seems highly unlikely from an historical perspective that the designers of the first tarot decks, or of Marseille decks, had astrological correspondences in mind. All we really have are the cards themselves. So you can feel free to use any system of correspondences you like, or none at all.
2. if there are astrological correspondences, are they the same as the ones usually given to the minors in the golden down decks? for example, if the five of cups is mars in scorpio in the golden dawn decks, is that the same also for the five of cups in the marseille deck?
You could do it that way, or you could do it a different way. No one way is necessarily more "correct" than the other. :)
3. do you use at all astrology when reading the minors in marseille decks, or you just do a reading based only on the foliage, colour, suits, and numerology on the minor cards?
I personally like to experiment with different methods. Recently I tried reading by assigning each number to a planet, and the four cardinal signs to the suits. Currently I'm reading by correlating the pip cards to their correspondingly-numbered Trump cards. I don't assign specific meanings to the foliage but I find that whatever correlations one uses, the foliage is abstract enough that you can often find support there for your chosen correlation.
4. finally, are there any good books or sites that you could recommend that deal with the realtionship of astrology and the minors in the marseille decks?
I don't know of any source that discusses astrology and the Marseille deck specifically. There are plenty of sites and books that talk about astrology and tarot in general, and you certainly could apply those to the Marseille.

diaynoche

hello

thanks a lot for your answer. those were questions i have been thinking about many times.

when reading the major arcana, i usually link a planet with a number.

number 1: sun

2 moon

3 jupiter

4 uranus

5 mercury

6 venus

7 neptune

8 saturn

9 mars

so maybe when reading the minors i could use the same system as well. all the ones would be related to the sun, all the twos to the moon, all the threes to jupiter and so on.

what do you think about it?

Lee

Sounds good to me! :)

Melanchollic

Diaynoche,

Your planet/number correlations are sound.

Excerpts from Henry Cornelius Agrippa's Second Book of Occult Philosophy, chapter 21:

"Besides, Unity is ascribed to the Sun, which is the only King of the Stars, in which God put his Tabernacle; and that this also is of Jupiter, doth the Causative power of his ideal and intellectual species testify, who is the head, and the father of the Gods, as unity is the beginning, and parent of numbers.

The number two is ascribed to the Moon, which is the second great light, and figures out the soul of the world, and is called Juno, because betwixt that and unity there is the first conjunction, and near fellowship; it is also ascribed to Saturn, and Mars, two unfortunate planets with the astrologers.

The number three is ascribed to Jupiter, the Sun, and Venus, viz. three fortunate planets, and is deputed to Vesta, Hecata, and Diana; hence they say, 'Threefold is Hecate, three mouths Diana the Virgin hath'. The number three therefore is dedicated to this Virgin whom they say to be powerful in Heaven, and in Hell.

The number four is of the Sun, which by that number constitutes the corners of the heavens, and distinguisheth seasons: it is also ascribed to Cyllenius, because he alone is called the four square God.

The number five consisting of the first even, and the first odd, as of female, and male, both sexes, is assigned to Mercury; it is also attributed to the Celestial world, which beyond the four Elements is it self under another form, the fist.

The number six, which consists of two threes, as a commixtion of both sexes, is by the Pythagorians ascribed to generation, and marriage, and belongs to Venus, and Juno.

The number seven is of rest, and belongs to Saturn; the same also doth dispense the motion, and light of the Moon, and therefore is called by the name of Tritonia the Virgin, because it begets nothing. It is assigned to Minerva, because it proceeds of nothing; also to Pallas the Virago, because it consists of numbers, as of males, and females. This also Plutarck ascribes to Apollo.

The number eight, by reason it containes the mysterie of justice, is ascribed to Jupiter; it is also dedicated to Vulcan, for of the first motion, and the number two, which is Juno drawn twice into it self, it consists; It is also attributed to Cybele the mother of the Gods, to whom every four square is attributed. Plutarck assigns it to Bacchus, or Dionysius, who is said to be born the eighth month: others, because Infants of the wight month do not live, have attributed it to Saturn, and the three Ladies of destiny.

The number nine belongs to the Moon, the utmost receptacle of all Celestiall influences, and vertues, as also it is dedicated to the nine Muses, as also to Mars, from whom is the end of all things.

The number ten is Circular, and belongs to the Sun, after the same manner as unity; also it is attributed to Janus, because it is the end of the first order, and from whence begins the second unity; it is also ascribed to the world."

So to summarize just the planets mentioned by Agrippa, emphasizing the first planet mentioned:

1 = Sun, Jupiter

2 = Moon, Saturn, Mars

3 = Jupiter, Sun, Venus

4 = Sun

5 = Mercury

6 = Venus

7 = Saturn, Moon

8 = Jupiter, Saturn

9 = Moon, Mars

10 = Sun

In applying these to the Loop Model, I make a few changes, but try to favor the emphasized planets. I tried to streamline Agrippa a bit, to make these planetary considerations even more practical and useful than they already are for the average card reader out there.

As both 4 and 7 occupy the same point on the model, I give them both to Saturn, with the Sun co-ruling the 4, and the Moon co-ruling the 7. For the 9, I give it firstly to Mars, with co-rulership from the Moon. For the 2, I give it firstly to the Moon, with co-rulership from Mars, and lesser so from Saturn. For the 3 and 8, I give them squarely to Jupiter. For the 1 and 10, squarely to the Sun.

So we have something like this:

1.........10 > Sun

2.........(9) > Moon/Mars, (Mars/Moon)

3..........8 > Jupiter

4........(7) > Saturn/Sun, (Saturn/Moon)

5........(6) > Mercury, (Venus)

or,

loopmodel-planets.jpg

For more on my 'loop model', go here -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=101507&page=6

from post #53