Maat - 2 of Swords

Penthasilia

So- this will be the new thread for the 2 of swords- here are my thoughts from my IDS with the Maat tarot on this card.

Card/Number: 2 of swords/4

Picture: attached below

First Impression: I love the softness in the old woman's face as she reaches out to pet the wolf. This is no blinded person crossed by two swords, but rather a wise old woman, eyes opened, who is wise enough to see what is beyond her regular sight.

Description: A pair of gold scissors are in the forefront, shaped as a phoenix. Within the holes of the scissors sit an old Inuit woman on the left and a wolf on the right. The woman looks softly as she reaches to pet the wolf. The wolf stares silently through the picture. The sun rises slowly over a field where elk graze silently in the background.

Feminine/Masculine/Neutral: Neutral

Colors: brown, orange, blue, green and gold

Senses: Ahhh, the feel of the cold snowy air hitting my face with that beautiful clean smell of winter. I can taste the snowflakes on my tongue and hear the animals softly moving in the background as they graze. I can feel the warmth of the wolf, as I pet him softly, and we walk together in the field.

Symbols: phoenix, wise old woman, wolf, scissors

Story (Intuitive): Listen to the land my child- do you hear the whispers? Good, now you may open your eyes and truly see. It amazes me how you view predators as evil, wanting to protect the prey. See what is beyond your normal sight- each being on this Earth has a purpose, and it is our duty to fulfill that purpose in order to maintain balance. The wolf, he knows this well and, as such, is a trusted friend. Humankind, well- so many of you are lost. You cover your eyes, thinking blindness will grand impartiality and allow you to be rational and just. No child, it only makes you blind. If you would only remove the blindfold and see Earth in Her glory, then you could become part of Her again and the balance would be restored. Remember, there is no predator or prey- only balance, and as the phoenix rises from its own ashes, so our death creates life for the Mother.

Astrologic: week of the new moon in Libra, planetary ruler Venus

Element: Fire, also earth

Keywords: balance, peace, truce

Meanings: breaking even, delicate balance between life and death

Quote: "Open your eyes and see balance creates regeneration."

Attachments

• 2ofswords.jpg
    2ofswords.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 311

juliecucciawatts

I am loving your intuitive stories!! It is as if we are hearing the voice of the goddess Ma'at herself!

Penthasilia

I am loving your intuitive stories!! It is as if we are hearing the voice of the goddess Ma'at herself!

Thanks Julie!!! That is high praise coming for the artist herself :D

juliecucciawatts

I am going to post to the MAAT Tarot facebook page that the study group on Aeclectic is becoming active again. Maybe Tarotaholics will want to know too.
Julie

Soaring Eagle

Are you sure they are elk? Is that what your book says? Because from the photo I think they are caribou. That would give a slightly different symbolism.

Here is the NA symbolism for
caribou: Traveler, mobility, preference to be nomadic, adaptability to adversity
elk: Strength and agility, pride, majestic, independence, purification, strength, and nobility
deer: Compassion, peace, intellectual, gentle, caring, kind, subtlety, gracefulness, femininity, gentleness, innocence, and seller of adventure

taken from http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-totems.html

As you say the old woman is inuit, and I think she may be, it would be more appropriate for a herd of caribou.

Penthasilia

Are you sure they are elk? Is that what your book says? Because from the photo I think they are caribou. That would give a slightly different symbolism.

Here is the NA symbolism for
caribou: Traveler, mobility, preference to be nomadic, adaptability to adversity
elk: Strength and agility, pride, majestic, independence, purification, strength, and nobility
deer: Compassion, peace, intellectual, gentle, caring, kind, subtlety, gracefulness, femininity, gentleness, innocence, and seller of adventure

taken from http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-totems.html

As you say the old woman is inuit, and I think she may be, it would be more appropriate for a herd of caribou.

You are probably right on that one! Elk came to my mind, since my dad and friends do a lot of their Elk hunting up that way. Thanks for the clarification on that Soaring Eagle- especially given the idea of adaptability, which does make sense. Though I do like the idea of purification for the elk as well :D

Soaring Eagle

You are probably right on that one! Thanks for the clarification on that Soaring Eagle- especially given the idea of adaptability, which does make sense. :D

If this deck has lots of animals, then I'm sure the link I provided may help interpret them. Sometimes knowing "why" they are there and what they symbolize can help clarify a card for you. I know it's helped me with the Vision Quest deck. I actually use a different site for my definitions, but as it didn't have caribou (being a cheyenne nation site) I found the one posted above. I may have to change sites, as I like the definitions on the new one.

Kimber

Since Twos are about balance, I like how this card acts as a bridge between people and animals (rwo-leggeds and four-leggeds). There's no conflict here, just acceptance and interaction on an intuitive level; a bonding. Cut away the effluvia, keep only what matters. With age comes wisdom, and the ability to communicate on a more subtle level without the distraction of busy-ness.

Penthasilia

Since Twos are about balance, I like how this card acts as a bridge between people and animals (rwo-leggeds and four-leggeds). There's no conflict here, just acceptance and interaction on an intuitive level; a bonding. Cut away the effluvia, keep only what matters. With age comes wisdom, and the ability to communicate on a more subtle level without the distraction of busy-ness.

Ohhh- I like it. Thanks Kimber :D

annik

Reading the post here is very instructive. Learn something new today. In this card, what pop for me are the scissors. I don't know the specie of the bird but birds are linked with air (they gives the impression that flying is so easy). I like how the scissors are made. The beak is making the blades. Scissors are cutting and we can cut many things with them. It is sometimes needed to sever links or other discarded items. It makes also think of the Moirae, the goddesses of Fates in Greek mythology. There is one of them who cut the threads of life, ending the life of people linked with those threads.