View Single Post
Citizen

Penthasilia 
Maat tarot IDS

Card/Number: The Chariot/26

Card Image: see attached (also attached Strength for comparison, see story)

First Impression: At first glance, this version of the chariot is confusing. There is no "chariot", no rider, but more importantly- there is no motion, it is as if the image has been caught in time and remains there in a static state.

Card Description: The Sphinx sits quietly in the desert, and arc of suns crossing over from head to tail. Above the suns arc the moon, illustrated in all phases. In the blue sky, darkness falls and you can see the constellation of Leo in the distance.

Masculine/Feminine/Neutral: Neutral

Colors: brown, blue, yellow and white

Senses: there is a keen sense of stillness here, no wind or sounds to be heard. You can only feel the dryness and sand against your skin, filling your eyes and mouth.

Symbols: Sphinx, sun, moon, Leo

Story (intuitive): So I begin by trying to rationalize the image in my mind. I see now the imagery, the idea of it- the moon and sun as the two horses, the opposites pulled together and kept in balance. Sigh- but the overall truth of it, the cosmic meaning, somehow continues to allude me. I pull out the Strength card- as something inside me whispers that this will show me the way. I compare the two: Strength- the life, vitality and movement are so clear, with no real need for a forced balance, the opposing forces dancing together as one. The Chariot- lifeless, still, connected but by a great deal of force to keep it pulled together, somehow missing the true meaning of perfect balance, though superficially appearing to have obtained it. They are connected, at a fundamental level- there is more to the Chariot. But HOW? "Ease your mind daughter," my mother answers, "and think with your heart. What does the Chariot mean to you?". "Death." I answer, and the poem echoes softly in my mind:

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.
We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove
At recess, in the ring;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, he passed us;
The dews grew quivering and chill,
For only gossamer my gown,
My tippet only tulle.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

And there, there lies the stillness, there the opposites coming together. The Sphinx, the riddle of life and death, the sun and moon, our world and the heavens as we sit on the Chariot, riding toward the unknown. Living while dying, dying while living. Trying to reach the heavens while our feet remain planted in the earth. "I want to be like Strength." I whisper. "Then ride the Chariot daughter, and care not where it goes or how fast it gets there. Free the reigns and you will free yourself." So I let them drop, and smile as the wind sings around me as I go.

***The Chariot by Emily Dickenson

Astrologic: The full moon cycle of Leo. Planetary Ruler: Uranus.

Element: Air

Keywords: synthesized opposites, balance between opposing qualities

Meanings: interaction between opposites, or opposing view points

Quote: "I will"
Attached Images

Top   #5