Traditional Approaches to Astrology

Lee

I would be delighted to see a book by Minderwiz. Or by Astraea. Or by any combination thereof. :)

Speaking in general, I think there is a real need for a very specific kind of book which to my knowledge doesn't exist yet.

I would like to see a book which is geared toward the astrological beginner who would like to learn how to do horary. It would take the absolute beginner from zero knowledge to being able to do interpret horaries on various topics. The information Minderwiz has provided in this thread and others is great as a conceptual introduction to the various factors, but I think a book-length work is really necessary to enable a beginner to actually learn to do.

The book would be self-sufficient, without the reader needing to read other books. If the author thinks it's necessary to learn to calculate charts by hand, then by all means include a few chapters for that (and of course in that case the reader would need to consult an ephemeris and table of houses).

Obviously this book, no matter how large, would need to be considered simply an introduction, and a beginner, having finished the book, would obviously not be considered a fluent astrologer.

The point of the book would be to get the reader up and running, however rudimentarily, with interpreting charts. I believe this would enable beginners to be in better shape to tackle more advanced texts on the topic. I believe the big problem with horary is that most of the people who are interested in it are already accomplished astrologers. This makes it difficult for the beginner who is interested in the subject to follow the conversation. It's a catch-22. The person interested in horary is expected to read things that aren't really understandable by beginners.

So, I think this ideal book would focus on the down-to-earth, the practical, the how-to. Certainly an introduction to the philosophy behind the whole thing would be great, but then the book should get down to the business of helping the reader get going with interpretation. After finishing the book, the reader can hopefully go on to other texts which explore more of the philosophy and history.

It would also be nice if the author chose and focused on one methodology rather than presenting a survey of different methodologies. Anthony Louis's book is very enjoyable to read and very informative as a look at different methods, but it doesn't really get the beginner up and running in any one of those methods.

I'm sure there are those who would consider me and people like me (there must be others... mustn't there?) to be intellectually lazy and wanting to be spoon-fed. I'll accept that criticism. Not all of us have the capability -- whether because of time constraints, energy constraints, financial constraints, educational constraints, or all of the above -- to wade through ancient texts. Or at least to wade through those texts without some practical experience so that we can understand more of what we're reading. Obviously, basic modern astrology texts are, to say the least, not ideal for this purpose. "On the Heavenly Spheres" is a very good beginner's book on traditional astrology, but, again, it doesn't get the reader up and running with at least some basic interpretation.

I'm sure such a book would necessarily leave the reader with only a shallow understanding of the art. But we have to take baby steps before we can walk. The current state of the literature requires us to perform complex dance steps before we've learned how to walk.

So, if anyone out there wants to write such a book, I can guarantee you at least one copy sale! :)

Minderwiz

I would be delighted to see a book by Minderwiz. Or by Astraea. Or by any combination thereof. :)

Speaking in general, I think there is a real need for a very specific kind of book which to my knowledge doesn't exist yet.

I would like to see a book which is geared toward the astrological beginner who would like to learn how to do horary. It would take the absolute beginner from zero knowledge to being able to do interpret horaries on various topics. The information Minderwiz has provided in this thread and others is great as a conceptual introduction to the various factors, but I think a book-length work is really necessary to enable a beginner to actually learn to do.

The book would be self-sufficient, without the reader needing to read other books. If the author thinks it's necessary to learn to calculate charts by hand, then by all means include a few chapters for that (and of course in that case the reader would need to consult an ephemeris and table of houses).

Obviously this book, no matter how large, would need to be considered simply an introduction, and a beginner, having finished the book, would obviously not be considered a fluent astrologer

Actually that's a very good idea and oddly I'd been wondering about a study thread on horary, or an assisted DIY horary thread. A book here would have a number of real advantages.

Horary is the first step in Traditional Astrology, it was learned before moving on to natal and mundane branches, as it sets out the main methodology involving signs, planets and houses

It's easiest to show simple examples, without having to use celeb nativities and real questions that have been asked can be used (though obviously the queerent would not be identified) and all charts would be for the Astrologer's location and time assuring annonymity for the querents

So this is something that appeals to me, and I'll think very seriously about it. The practicalities of publishing would need looking at, though providing it in pdf format or one of the ebook formats might help on that, which would also cut out the need for shipping costs

inanna_tarot

So this is something that appeals to me, and I'll think very seriously about it. The practicalities of publishing would need looking at, though providing it in pdf format or one of the ebook formats might help on that, which would also cut out the need for shipping costs

Dont forget options like Lulu or blurb - where you write the book but are printed on demand when people buy it.
PDF/ebook options are cool because I could also have it on my kindle! Although the charts might not come out brilliantly, the written content to read on the bus etc would be fab. :)

Minderwiz

Dont forget options like Lulu or blurb - where you write the book but are printed on demand when people buy it.
PDF/ebook options are cool because I could also have it on my kindle! Although the charts might not come out brilliantly, the written content to read on the bus etc would be fab. :)

I also have Calibre which allows conversion to Kindle format, so t might be possible to get the graphics right.

Oh dear I seem to be talking myself into this. I'll try the Horary DIY thread as it would allow me to test the waters and indeed write some of the opening material.
-

kalliope

I'd like to wholeheartedly second your suggestion, Lee! I agree that a book like you describe is very needed for horary, and that Minderwiz could write an excellent one.

Minderwiz, I'm so glad you're letting yourself get talked into this! I'll definitely be following your Horary DIY thread! I would definitely buy an ebook/kindle version, and maybe a print copy, too. I think it would appeal to many groups of people: people interested in divination in general who are curious about astrology, people who wish to have an "easy" avenue into traditional astrology, and people who already know some astrology who want to begin doing horary.

As Lee said, it should take someone from zero astrology to basic horary interpretations. (You already have that traditional astrology basics thread filled with material you could use for this, I imagine.) It would be nice if you cited whose rules you mostly follow in the method you teach, so that when a student eventually branches out into other texts, they can understand where their current knowledge fits in.

I'd also like to raise my hand to say I'm another person who would prefer to do my initial learning from a modern book instead of the ancient versions. I'm not sure what that says about me (or us! there are others!), but I like to think it's not as simple as intellectual laziness!

In addition to the practical constraints Lee listed, for me the issue is that I prefer to get up and running with a text written by someone who has already synthesized most of the older material. THEN, once I have the working basics, and I've successfully interpreted several charts, I can read the translations and start adding that material into my work. Otherwise, I feel like I shouldn't start until I've read and synthesized it all myself, which effectively means almost never, and it's easy to be overwhelmed by the multitude of techniques and authors. (I touched on some of this in my review of Dykes' introductory book, and I almost added that I wish he would write a "next step" book for natal interpretation that does into lots of detail. Then I thought that made it seem like I indeed wanted to be "spoon-fed" and that I didn't properly appreciate all of the work he's done on his many translations! :neutral: )

So anyway, I'm very excited about this project, and will definitely be a part of your audience! :D

-Nicole

Minderwiz

kalliope said:
In addition to the practical constraints Lee listed, for me the issue is that I prefer to get up and running with a text written by someone who has already synthesized most of the older material. THEN, once I have the working basics, and I've successfully interpreted several charts, I can read the translations and start adding that material into my work. Otherwise, I feel like I shouldn't start until I've read and synthesized it all myself, which effectively means almost never, and it's easy to be overwhelmed by the multitude of techniques and authors. (I touched on some of this in my review of Dykes' introductory book, and I almost added that I wish he would write a "next step" book for natal interpretation that does into lots of detail. Then I thought that made it seem like I indeed wanted to be "spoon-fed" and that I didn't properly appreciate all of the work he's done on his many translations! :neutral: )

So anyway, I'm very excited about this project, and will definitely be a part of your audience! :D

-Nicole

Actually that's not 'lazy it's a reasonable expectation at beginner level. When I started out with the tradition the thing that got me most was the lack of proper commentaries. I studied Political Philosophy at degree level and read Plato, Aristotle, etc but virtually all had commeteries written by modern authors,which prepared you for the actual text. The culture gap is often huge and the text is difficult without those commentaries/synthses. Strangely only Plato (c400 BC) actually wrote in a clearly understandable way for the modern reader (or at least the translations were exceptional)

So I very much take your point about getting a good picture, in contemporary language being necessary.

OK let's have a go at the DIY thread and se how it goes.

Flaxen

I love this notion of you writing a book, Minderwiz. :)

Have to say, I would love to find a space to practice interpreting horary charts. It's something I started to do for myself but it would be great to see a wider range of charts - there is only so much I can ask about myself!

I'm one of those people though, who would have to look at the chart and interpret it separately from others commentaries. If I read what others have written first, it muddies my interpretation. Once I'd gathered my own thoughts, then I would be able to discuss it. Looking forward to seeing the DIY threads.

Minderwiz

I love this notion of you writing a book, Minderwiz. :)c

I'm one of those people though, who would have to look at the chart and interpret it separately from others commentaries. If I read what others have written first, it muddies my interpretation. Once I'd gathered my own thoughts, then I would be able to discuss it. Looking forward to seeing the DIY threads.

That's the major difference between a book and a thread - the latter is live and interactive, whereas a book has to give you the answers, if only hidden at the back :)

I'll do an intro post to the thread, hopefully tomorrow. As I want peeps to think up some questions as usual but this time I'll give a method to apply and ask each contributor to make an attempt at a readind - just like Inanna_tarot's intro post to her Horary course thread.

Any one wishing to post on the question can join in and offer their own reading if they so wish, either in whole or part - for example saying whether the chart is rasical or which houses to use or any other facet they have noted. Alternatively the can simply ask a (non) Horary question about the chart or process.

inanna_tarot

I'll do an intro post to the thread, hopefully tomorrow. As I want peeps to think up some questions as usual but this time I'll give a method to apply and ask each contributor to make an attempt at a readind - just like Inanna_tarot's intro post to her Horary course thread.

Any one wishing to post on the question can join in and offer their own reading if they so wish, either in whole or part - for example saying whether the chart is rasical or which houses to use or any other facet they have noted. Alternatively the can simply ask a (non) Horary question about the chart or process.

Oh - I'm an example *looks smug at the class* lol.

I am very excited to hear this, not just the learning of stuff but applying it and playing around with horary. You'll just have to bear with me being super basic, but I'll give it a bash. I'm sure I could think of a valid question when the time comes :)

rif

Hi Lee,

I would like to see a book which is geared toward the astrological beginner who would like to learn how to do horary.
Have you looked at John Frawley's Horary Textbook? It seems fairly complete to me, and takes the time to go through the things that other horary books seem to gloss over.

Even Horary Astrology Plain and Simple assumed some familiarity with astrology! It's ironic, considering that horary used to be the first kind of astrology taught. I started out with Olivia Barclay's book on the subject and my rudimentary astrology knowledge; and by reading carefully, made surprisingly good progress. Frawley's book is a little more user-friendly.

You could always look to the old classics for this. Christopher Warnock is always selling fascimile copies at his website. :) And there is the two-volume modern printing of Christian Astrology. Which I admit I have not yet tackled...

So, I think this ideal book would focus on the down-to-earth, the practical, the how-to. Certainly an introduction to the philosophy behind the whole thing would be great, but then the book should get down to the business of helping the reader get going with interpretation. After finishing the book, the reader can hopefully go on to other texts which explore more of the philosophy and history.
Sounds like Frawley to me.

I know exactly where you're coming from, because I started in a similar place. Not that I've become accomplished; there are so many darn rules to absorb, and that takes time and practice. More time than I've been willing to devote, as horary is not a central focus for me.

But Frawley and Barclay, they took me a long way. I lean towards the former, but the latter has good points. (And was responsible for rekindling modern interest in the subject.)