View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 

Teuheuti wrote
Quote:
Where does Etteilla name the Shem Angels? Intelligences was a term used for lots of things besides the Shem Ha'Mephorash, not all of which were Kabbalistic. In fact, the term 'Intelligences' is Neo-Platonic. We might as well say that Iamblichus was referring to the Tarot because he used the term "Arcana". Arcana was a word long in use before it was applied to the Tarot.
Well, the passage I quoted in the post just before yours is good enough for me.

Quote:
(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,) divine prescience of Eternity communicating itself by its works, which put in their true number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, = 21 = 12 = 3, together 36, it extends over Men by 1 + 6, 2 + 5, 3 + 4, which [p. 142] gives infinitely correct numbers. 16, 25, 34 = 75, 3 over the intelligences, 75 (2 next to 37, number by which in this spirit the Cabalists do not dare to count, seeing this number thus 1 integer + 37 + 8, and subtracting 1 from the 8, leaves 45 and 3 + 7 = 10.
72, the number of Shem angels, is 3 less than 75, which is the number of Intelligences per Etteila. It is the number beyond which the Cabalists dare not to count, of which apparently 37 is in the same spirit, since it is numerologically equivalent, in the Kabbalist way of doing numerological equivalences.

This reference is merely an aside on Etteilla's part, but it does show that he knew about the Shem angels. perhaps not under that name, but at least as 72 intelligences in Kabbalah.

It is still an open question whether Kabbalah plays any role in Etteilla's system. I don't see any, but there is much about his system that is unclear to me. At that time--the 18th century--there was no sharp distinction between Kabbalah, alchemy, and Hermeticism (or is it Hermetism?): many Hermetics (or Hermetists), following Pico etc,, drew on Kabbalah (including the 72) as well as alchemy, as Jung pointed out somewhere. And we know for sure that Etteilla incorporated Hermeticism and alchemy into his system. I have quoted some of the relevant passages earlier in this thread.
Top   #168