Kickstarter: How to use it

garmonbozia

Anyone get a deck from a Kickstarter campaign before? How long does the whole process usually take?

aimeedanger

I have a kickstarter campaign right now

Actually...

I can tell you more about both how to do it and how not to do it. I have a couple of friends who were really successful on Kickstarter (one person's goal was $8k and he raised $90, a book deal, and a movie deal!). I learned a lot from them... too late for my campaign.

You have to have an amazon business account linked to your checking account. IF you get funded, Amazon takes 5% and Kickstarter takes 5%. You have to make a movie. It really pays to be incredibly honest about what you'll spend the money on. Even if you think people aren't interested in reading all that, if you've gotten them interested in the idea enough to stick around for a paragraph or two, they ARE interested in all that (they are, after all, about to give you money!).
Start your backer gifts small. Give stuff for contributing a dollar. For some reason, we will spend $5 on a coffee, but we won't spend $5 to support someone's dream. I'm not sure how our priorities have gotten that far out of whack, but...

Let me know when you start it and I'll fund you!

That's my takeaway from this whole experience. I WILL help people achieve their dreams. I know how much heart and soul and time and sweat goes into something that you love and to throw it out there and not get support feels really... well, if you're not ready for it it can really hurt. I've had to step back and realize that it's not that my friends don't love me or even don't like my project, I didn't market well and I didn't promote properly.

I'm probably not going to get funded... this time around. I realized quite a few things that I will do differently next time to pre-promote my campaign and get it in front of the right people.

Alta

Moderator note:

Hi all,

We have now had 3 or 4 artists come here to promote their Kickstarter campaign. We had a lengthy discussion about this, and while we are very happy to have artists come here to discuss their decks, their process, the issues they encounter, simply coming to ask for funding is not in the spirit of the Creation forum.

I think the thread is interesting as long as it isn't used to promote (ask for funding for, to be specific) individual decks, so I have removed those references.

Anyone who wants to promote their Kickstarter campaign may subscribe, even for just 6 months, and start and update a thread in Advertisements.

Thanks,

Alta
Moderator, Tarot Deck Creation

AJ

I've looked at a couple of the links posted here, just makes me nervous and I think of all the cons that came out of the big things like Katrina and the floods in Australia and I think...someone has found an easy way to pull a lot of little donations into a big wad of cash. But I'm really cynical...just answering honestly about why some of us don't or at least haven't donated.
Maybe donated is the problem, when I donate something I kiss it goodby. Invest would be a better word to use, in my personal case :)

that said, as a side issue, shouldn't this go in Adverts or Professional since it involves money and not decks?

Alta

that said, as a side issue, shouldn't this go in Adverts or Professional since it involves money and not decks?
Yes, I didn't express myself well above.

I can see Kickstarter (as a topic, not about individuals) as a valid topic, a way to get decks printed. However promotion of individual decks goes into Advertisements.

Thanks for clarifying AJ.

Alta

aimeedanger

I think starting a Kickstarter topic would be good

There will probably be more traffic about it as more people explore it as a way to get projects funded. There are a lot of questions involved in the process, and many specific to Tarot decks, so the topic would get more traffic than just people plugging their campaigns.

As a side note, I agree that it's not a donation... it's an investment. You almost always are 'buying' something as part of your backing as a way to say thanks - sort of like PBS.

gregory

I'd agree with Alta that using tarot deck creation as - effectively - an advertising forum for Kickstarter campaigns etc is not OK !

To be honest, I have funded three Kickstarters - but ALL by people I already knew enough about to trust. No way would I fund one randomly. I might watch if I liked the look of one, and buy spare decks at the end - but there is far too much potential for abuse. I could start one now, take all your money and vanish into the ether. Amazon may be tied to your bank account - but I could take the money, close the account and run anyway.

I find indiegogo even more suss, as as far as I can see, Kickstarter only releases funds when you hit your target, which is a slight safeguard. Indiegogo I believe you get the cash as it comes in, so have less incentive to finish the project...

I may be wrong, but...

Investment - yes. But a risky one, IMHO. One usually has more information and tangible evidence in other areas of investment.

aimeedanger

@ Gregory

Those are all really good points that I had never considered. I am an honest person by nature and tend to take others at face value. Although I have been burned, I see that others who have remained distrustful have also been burned, and I prefer my way of treating people.
But I think your opinion is totally valid. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would abuse the system and just run away with the money.
One question: does that seem less likely if it's a business or collective than if it's an individual? LIke, if two or more people were involved in the campaign, does that give it more validity than just one?

AJ

how would you know? I could tell you I'm 13 people and give all of them names and duties :)

I've been thinking about the process since I posted last, and would be happy to 'donate/invest' if it was someone who had been an active here over time.
Not in a million years for someone who just signs up to promote themselves. Why would I think they know enough about tarot to make a valid deck as opposed to a bunch of pretty pictures if I hadn't heard them talking over time?

gregory

how would you know? I could tell you I'm 13 people and give all of them names and duties :)

I've been thinking about the process since I posted last, and would be happy to 'donate/invest' if it was someone who had been an active here over time.
All my investments were either in people who post here or on another forum I am a part of. I was even able to PM them for answers and so on. They are people I almost don't mind giving the odd $25 to even if nothing comes of it.

And yes - anyone can be anyone on line.