Thoth or Rider-Waite?

FraterGrant

I have not delved deep into the Thoth Tarot yet, although I feel as if I have connected. But I constantly read on these forums to start out with a RWS based deck. I dont know what to do! Should I put my Thoth away till I learn the RWS deck, or what? Some of you have read my interpretations of what I think the cards mean, so you tell me. Do you think I am ready for the Thoth, or should I start with a Rider-Waite (or clone)?? I am seriously frustrated right now! I love my Thoth, but all these post say "Learn RWS first!" What is a 15 year old boy to do? LOL. Any feedback would be GREATLY appriciated(sp? Its 2 in the morning, what can I say?)

Le_Corsair

It all depends on your confidence level, and whether you have worked out meanings for the Thoth, especially the unillustrated minor arcana, that you feel are right.

Have a look at this series of articles, they will help give you an answer to your question.

The RWS is a good tool for those people, including myself, who have not learned or cannot trust their intuition. The simple images tell a static story that is easy to learn. If, however, you can rely on your own intuition when looking at the cards, then owning an RWS deck is not necessary, other than perhaps for its historical connections.

If you want a RWS clone deck that employs better art than the original, I would suggest the International Icon Tarot, the Aquarian Tarot or the Morgan-Greer Tarot.

Good luck!

Bob :THERM

FraterGrant

If I was going to buy a RWS clone, I would get the Robin Wood deck.

Le_Corsair

TaranRavenfrost said:
If I was going to buy a RWS clone, I would get the Robin Wood deck.

That, also, is a good choice. :)

Bob :THERM

FraterGrant

Thoth just speaks to me, because it is sooo much more Elemental than RWS. I just feel a magickal connection with it. But RWS has all those clone decks, and all those awesome theme decks spanning off of it. I dont know what to do! I still havent found the deck that says "I AM THE ONE" (besides the Thoth). GRR! Well, How many things are differnt from Thoth and RWS? Are they totally differnt, or could someone learning on a RWS pick up a Thoth and use it, and vice versa??

jmd

Though there are indeed some people who claim that a beginner 'should' start with a deck such as the Waite/Colman Smith [WCS], that remains their personal view - and a view certainly not shared by all.

I would recommend a different deck from the two mentioned... but that is immaterial.

If you sense a drawing to the Crowley-Harris Thoth deck as your beginning deck, then by all means use it, and slowly begin to learn as much as you can about it - by, importantly, also reflecting on what is being said.

It may be worth pointing out that there probably isn't a single element which is mentioned about the deck by either its creators or commentators that would be universally agreed upon. So by all means read, reflect, and learn with the deck. It is neither deeper nor more profound than the WCS - just partly different, and incorporating aspects in specific ways.

September Pixie

I don't think there are any set of rules one must follow in order to read. You find a deck that works for you. If I was teaching someone, I would suggest using a RWS deck or one of the clones, simply because the person I am teaching could follow along with my suggestions, but by NO means would I say "you MUST learn with this deck before you can begin any others" infact my first deck wasn't even RWS based! My first deck was one from the 80's at a little 5 and dime shop, used, tattered, and the symbols were completely way off the usual RWS images, but i read with it none the less... I wouldn't say that it helped develop my skill using that deck, but it did teach me a lot.. if Thoth works for you, then by all means use it! I would advise picking up an RWS or a clone to add to your collection and simply see which type you connect with. :) Good luck in your studies!

Aun

My suggestion is.... learn and study both!!!

From my own experience, I can say that each deck is more suitable for specific types of questions and/or spreads.

Personally, I think that by experiencing the different approaches provided by the RWS (or clones) and the Thoth, one gains a wider perspective of the tarot as a whole.

Thats how it works for me.

lark

Hi TRfrost....
If you are interested in understanding the difference between RWS and Thoth.
US Games has come out with a unique kit that has both decks and a book for side by side comparisons.
The ISBN number is 1-57281-345-8
Item # CTK50

You can also get the book alone since you already have a Thoth deck.
ISBN 1-57281-429-2
Item # BK214

My all time favorite deck is the Robin Wood.
It would be a wonderful addition to your collection too.

Centaur

Aun said:
My suggestion is.... learn and study both!!!

I agree with Aun. I use both the RW and the Thoth (and only recently have started to delve into the Marseille... Oooooo). But then, I guess everyone is different, so you should do what you feel is right.

Lark, that is interesting that US Games have published both in a set. Great idea actually!!! :)