The Heart of Faerie

Winterchild

Le Fanu

Update here (seeing as I posted earlier in the thread unsure as to whether to buy or not)... well I have bought it and have used it and :shhh: I really like this deck. I don't mix it with the Thoth just yet ;) but there is something about this deck which draws me in much more than the original Faeiries Oracle. That stuff in the book about dancing with the fairies put me of from the start I'm sorry to say. That and the brown-ness and the backs. I never really connected with it to be honest. Of the fairies decks I have I only really relate to the Paulina Tarot.

I wasn't drawn to these decks at all Le Fanu, even though I love Brian Frouds art.... but I borrowed the OoF and really took off with it.... or rather they did with me! Its not really light and fluffy, it can be dark and deep... have you read with it? The dancing thing would have out me of had I read it before buying, but I didn't I just used the cards without reading the book!

I just got my HoF and I do love it but like yours and others, the box was open, no shrink, damaged and torn inside but at least all the cards were there. I love the backs... and agree they are much better than the OoF backs.

I did a spread today and two out of the three cards were very interesting indeed, but the third one was one of those un-numbered, untitled cards. the fairy with a unicorn horn sitting on a mushroom.

How are people reading these unidentifiable cards? There's nothing in the book about them, no mention it seems. What meaning are you attaching to them?

The only mention I found was in the Journey section of the book, wher eit doesnt actually mention them as such but it says there are 16 Journey cards, which would have to include the three unnumbered ones I guess, as there are only 13 numbered!

But it's offical; I much prefer Heart of Faerie to the Original Faerie Oracle, even though mine arrived very warped (like two seperate decks bending in the opposite direction) and I presed it for over a week and it came out no different.

Bummer about that..... was yours shrink wrapped? Did you press the cards individually? One tip that sometimes helps, if you have a hairdrier or similar and use it on a low setting with the card lying curled towards the table/surface, it will often get the card to curl the the opposite way and you stop once its flat and press it a bit... once you have done them with the heat if it works you can squash them all together under a heavy weight.

Hard to describe but here is a sort of diagram:

Card Back --------------> ( l <----------------- Table

Apply heat from above the card gently.

Winterchild

Hi Le Fanu,

When the Unnamed come up I see it as a call to really give notice to the issue. In fact, the card you are referencing sort of makes me think of what is it that my intuition is pointing out to me.

I'm thinking horn/third eye and the horn as a pointer. In several of my decks I use certain cards as devices that direct me to think about something differently. Perhaps you can "charge" the cards like Sylvie S. does in the Lenormand, to stand for something that will assist you in the reading space.

I have cards (in other oracle decks, and in the faery decks) that mean "no more, you can't go any further with this issue, let it lie". I have a card that means "the person you are reading for cannot take any more information, stop now." I also have cards that mean for me this person is Psychic, or could be an excellent reader, encourage them to get a deck". LOL. Like in HOF I don't remember the name, but the Jester looking character, with the Tarot deck, that one means "this persone is psychic" for me in the reading. But that isn't all it means.

These are inventions that actually help me, but I have no idea if they'll help you.

I'm happy to see that HOF is touching your heart, and saddened to think you didn't connect to the FO. I love them both, and yes, the HOF is more vibrant. I just has a different feeling to it, there is different information and energy happening. The two decks are actually amazing. If you can get past the books and just let them speak to you, you will be amazed at the discoveries that will happen.

So the Rarr in the FO deck looks like the Harry Potter Snitch to me. So when that comes up I know someone is being competitive and they are trying to catch something, they are a Seeker. Funny huh? But these things work for me, and my clients seem to appreciate the readings.

Good luck finding your definitions....let me know what you come up with.

Great post... thanks for sharing Satori... I have just been looking through my deck..wow there are some stunning cards... I adore The Magician/Jester and many others... so many layers! I agree that they are amazing decks and speak they do!! Not always quietly either...well certainly that's my experience with the OoF.

With the blank cards I can't help but look on the *topsy turvy mushroomheads* as the Fun Guys...(Sorry.... my ex husband was a Fungi hunter and I was always coming up with these silly things..) !!!! Time to turn it all around see things from another angle.... or maybe they are the fun part of the journey, as they seem to come under the journey section :)

I haven't come up with anything for the other two yet but no doubt they will make themselves known.

Very happy with these cards!

Carla

I have been trying to decide between these and I'm so tempted to just buy both of them. What do you think?

ETA: Well, it's too late. I've just gone and done it. :D

Le Fanu

Heart of Faeire's darker. I know we're supposed to have and use both but H of F is always much more appealing.

I'm not really a fairy fan but I do prefer H of F.

DragonFae

That's so strange you say that...I don't find Heart of Faery dark at all. I love reading with it but would not use the term dark to describe it.

I find the original Faeries Oracle more mystical and deeper...more to decipher in the deck.

To me the Heart of Faery is more straight forward...it still gives good readings but is pretty straight forward in meanings etc....with or with out the book.

Carla

Has anyone shuffled both decks together and used them combined??

Alta

Chronata posted that she had done this, so I tried it for one round Faerie Seekers. But, when I laid the spread all of the cards that showed up were from one of the decks. Can't recall which one. I separated them after that and didn't repeat the experiment. Even with my long hands, that is a lot of cards to handle at once.

DragonFae

I have read with both decks together. It is a LOT of cards so a bit hard to handle...and in the spreads...the faeries seemed to be arguging with each other...lots of conflicting messages...almost too much information,.....so I tend to stick with one or the other...not both!

Carla

Chronata posted that she had done this, so I tried it for one round Faerie Seekers. But, when I laid the spread all of the cards that showed up were from one of the decks. Can't recall which one. I separated them after that and didn't repeat the experiment. Even with my long hands, that is a lot of cards to handle at once.

That's interesting that they segregated themselves for you. :)

I have read with both decks together. It is a LOT of cards so a bit hard to handle...and in the spreads...the faeries seemed to be arguging with each other...lots of conflicting messages...almost too much information,.....so I tend to stick with one or the other...not both!

Hmm, I was just wondering because they are exactly the same size and it seemed that maybe the Frouds might want us to have a go. I wouldn't want to cause a ruckus amongst the faeries. :)

I so look forward to receiving this deck. It will be by far the biggest departure for me in terms of decks. My only faery deck is the Tarot of the Sidhe, which I love. But I feel that these oracles will be a completely new world.

DragonFae

Carla (and anyone else) I'd like to invite you to join the General Oracles study group (several of us are using the Froud's decks as our deck for the study.) I am using the original Froud's Faeries. Each week we do a different activity to connect with our decks.

Here's the thread for week two which you might find interesting as we tried to sort our decks into the four element groups and talked about how that deepened our understanding of meanings...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=184171