The Wild Unknown Tarot: study group & discussion

Sulis

I cannot believe that I've been playing around with this deck for so long and only JUST NOW noticed that Justice is VIII and Strength is XI... how in blazes did that slide by me ?

Anyway, I know there's something to this, but not being up on my tarot history, I don't really know know much about it. Could someone direct me to a thread where this might be explained a little better ? I could be wrong, but it sems to me that my Thoth deck is designed this way....

Thanks !!

Michael

Hi Michael,

In decks made before the Rider-Waite-Smith (TdMs etc), Strength was number XI and Justices number VIII.
Waite decided to switch the numbers of the cards for some reason (astrology I think so that Strength would co-inside with Leo and Justice Libra but I'm not absolutely sure about his reasoning).
Most decks these days use the Waite deck as their model so use the changed system of Strength VIII and Justice XI but many people prefer it the original way (I'm one of them - I cannot use decks that have Strength at number 8 since I use numerology in my readings and to me it just doesn't work that way).
Crowley stuck with Justice at number VIII for his deck.

I hope that helps. If you do a search, you'll find loads of threads about it. Try searching Strength Justice switch in 'titles only'.

Calcifer

Thanks Sulis, I'd say that clears it up sufficiently for me... Gotta admit that I was curious though. Sounds like Ms. Krans did her homework :).

Michael

ladybird

Sulis, in other threads I see you are reading the WU using the TdM methods. Can you explain how you are reading them? Is it just basically reading the symbolism of what the number and element means? Also reading what is happening in the image? I think I'd like to try it this way. I have a 1JJ Swiss and Tarot Classic but that's it as far as anything close to Marseilles is concerned and otherwise I am not familiar with reading in this way. I think it sounds like a good way to read the WU. Thank you!

Sulis

Sulis, in other threads I see you are reading the WU using the TdM methods. Can you explain how you are reading them? Is it just basically reading the symbolism of what the number and element means? Also reading what is happening in the image? I think I'd like to try it this way. I have a 1JJ Swiss and Tarot Classic but that's it as far as anything close to Marseilles is concerned and otherwise I am not familiar with reading in this way. I think it sounds like a good way to read the WU. Thank you!

Hi ladybird,

I think it's just how I read. I don't really have a system as such but I use the image first and things like darkness in the image, space for growth and things like that register a lot with me. I tend to lay out cards in sets of 3 or 5 and the first thing that I do is look at the spread as a whole to see which way the energies seem to be flowing, whether any characters are looking towards other cards or other characters etc. I don't always read from left to right; sometimes I read from right to left, from the centre card out or from the outer cards in.. Sometimes a card obviously looks like it's blocking one card from getting to another or a card will look like a bridge or as if it's leading to another.
I also look at the numbers - are there any patterns etc? I often link the Minors to their numerical equivalent Major too but I don't do any of this in a set order or system - I think it just comes with practice - I've been reading cards for a long time and for the first few years I really, really struggled and thought I'd never get it.
I also look at the elements and how they work with the numbers - Fire for example can't stay contained for very long so the 4 Batons or Wands is temporary because fire cannot be stopped for long.. Similarly with a card like the 4 Cups, water becomes stagnant if it's left standing for long and that's something that happens with that card if it's not a temporary thing.

I tend to read TdMs and RWS style decks the same way really but this Wild Unknown Tarot really seems to lend itself well to my reading style. I don't like trying to fit a picture into the frame of a reading really which is why I prefer pip style decks.

I'm waffling but I hope that helps. I think you just have to keep reading and keep laying out a few cards together and making stories out of them until you find what works for you and it just becomes second nature.

Sulis

Anyone fancy joining me? There seems to be such a lot of interest in this study group in this thread yet most of the threads are just me on my little lonesome... I'd love to actually discuss these images with other people who are using and enjoying the deck.

I've posted quite a few cards now. Here's the index thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3352243

Calcifer

I just wanted to extend some gratitude to you for carrying this thread on your own. I truly appreciate it as I've been pretty much devouring your personal observations. I'm finding them to be interesting and sometimes even very enlightening: as your perspective is enough different from mine to make it a solid educational experience. When I have the time and some quiet around here, I'll piost about what happened to myself with tarot that made me put them up for so many years (it'll shed some light on my apparent reticence).

I WILL however make a small contribution by taking my "high end" metal detector to the box and deck and try to see what the story is on it setting off airport metal detectors. I don't see any gilding either, and I'm betting that there is some metal reinforcment going on with the box corners (or some such). I have Never seen such a tight, sturdy box on tarot cards before. I just have to find the battery insert...

Thanks again - I've loved your posts !

Michael

Sulis

I just wanted to extend some gratitude to you for carrying this thread on your own. I truly appreciate it as I've been pretty much devouring your personal observations. I'm finding them to be interesting and sometimes even very enlightening: as your perspective is enough different from mine to make it a solid educational experience. When I have the time and some quiet around here, I'll piost about what happened to myself with tarot that made me put them up for so many years (it'll shed some light on my apparent reticence).

I WILL however make a small contribution by taking my "high end" metal detector to the box and deck and try to see what the story is on it setting off airport metal detectors. I don't see any gilding either, and I'm betting that there is some metal reinforcment going on with the box corners (or some such). I have Never seen such a tight, sturdy box on tarot cards before. I just have to find the battery insert...

Thanks again - I've loved your posts !

Michael

Thanks Michael / Calcifer (I'm just reading 'Howl's moving castle' - presume that's where your name came from - very cool)...
I'm glad that you're enjoying my posts, I'm enjoying posting... I'm really loving this deckl; it seems to have a very similar feel to me to my beloved TdM but it's more direct and a little less cryptic without all those patterns of swords, batons, cups and coins :laugh:. It has a very earthy, natural feel to me and I really like that.

I think you could be right about the metal in the box too.. I definitely can't see any hint of anything metallic on the cards.

ladybird

I never thought it would be the box but that makes sense! They probably used metal to reinforce the ribbon!

I've also been enjoying your posts in the study group threads, Sulis! I'll try to contribute something too.

EightWands

You guys have me quite tempted to purchase the deck and jump in! Maybe we can all write our own "book" of our observations of each card. I'm thinking of just purchasing the deck and not the book. Especially since I'm reading here that the author doesn't say much about the symbolism used. So I'm counting on you guys to fill me in if I need help, okay? ;)

Sulis

You guys have me quite tempted to purchase the deck and jump in! Maybe we can all write our own "book" of our observations of each card. I'm thinking of just purchasing the deck and not the book. Especially since I'm reading here that the author doesn't say much about the symbolism used. So I'm counting on you guys to fill me in if I need help, okay? ;)

Honestly, it's all there in the cards :). I really don't think a book is necessary with this deck.