One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Chiriku

ETA: Okay, I've added the closest thing I could find to the Rosy Cross and changed my siggy!

That looks good.

It's a good idea to change our avatars. But I don't like changing avatars or usernames because I get used to people's and my (mind's) eye becomes trained to associate certain images and letters of the alphabet with certain people. It helps in quickly skimming threads.

Of course, the mind's eye can be retrained over time.

Carla, you mentioned upthread that you've been reading for clients with the Thoth as well. Given that you're only now getting into the basics of Qabalah, Thelema, etc., have you been reading the cards for others based on the titles (some call them keywords), the RWS which derives from a common Golden Dawn source, numerology, intuitive image-reading, etc, etc? Some combination of all the above?

I read with the Thoth long before I got into any of the esoterics but I can't remember if I read for the public with it.

strings of life

I'm still being faithful to my International Icon Tarot and have been journaling offline. I'm torn with starting a blog since so much of the "journey" is personal. I may end up starting an online journal with Penzu and am working on another blog idea that has nothing to do with my rants about cards.

My 78 card Ironwing, a deck that I had an ISO for in 2011, is winging its way to me now. I'll look at it, but that's it.

<repeats to self>will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer will set it aside until the summer</repeats to self>

:laugh:

Huge changes at work got in the way of my Tarot life last week, but I'll start posting in the Study Group. Really :).

strings of life

I haven't had a chance to post, but the International Icon and I have been getting along well also. Like my IIT companions, I'm finding it so easy to read! It seems that without individual details and facial expressions, I'm very focused on the body language of the figures. They're very expressive! Maybe it's my theatre/dance background resurfacing after all these years, but it really speaks to me. I'm reading this deck much more intuitively than I usually do.
Re: the lack of facial expressions, I agree! I feel like I get so much from the cards without any facial expressions. But then again, this is coming from someone who likes the eyeless Sacred Rose Tarot ;).

It's been...what's the word...relaxing to read with the II. I love looking at the cards and as I have mentioned in the past, using the colors as part of the meanings.

Off to enjoy it now!

kalliope

Re: the lack of facial expressions, I agree! I feel like I get so much from the cards without any facial expressions. But then again, this is coming from someone who likes the eyeless Sacred Rose Tarot. ;)

Ha! Did you see the recent Sacred Rose thread? I'm also a fan, glowing empty eyes and all. :D

We've had a busy weekend here, but I'm looking forward to spending some time with the cards tomorrow. I need to get myself a good symbolism dictionary (or I need to search out a few good websites), because I'm noticing those details more than usual. The lack of details makes me focus more on the few that are there.

I'm on my tablet, so I'll write more when I'm on my computer with a real keyboard...

DaisyDragonfly

I've kept faithful to my ODW rules and have had a few spot-on readings with my Wild Unknown. I want to do a soul-searching type of reading today though and I'm tempted to dig out my Rosetta, a deck I really trust for the sort of reading I want to do...

Tempted. But only tempted. I'll use Wild Unknown and see how it works.

Chiriku, you're reminding me of how much I love the Arthurian Tarot. I might swap over onto it after my Wild Unknown ODW is done. I even started doing the Hallowquest activities until I lost my motivation for it.

As for a new avatar: I like that idea. I'm often tempted to change my username, but I've gotten so used to it and can't imagine being anybody else here! But a new avatar is a possibility...

Chiriku

DaisyDragonfly, I've found that most people who have started the Hallowquest program have at some time stopped. It is a commitment, to be sure. There are some here who did the whole thing---I think PathWalker might have, though it was at a slower pace so it took them a few years.

What is your avatar now? Is it from a card? My eyes aren't the best but it looks like a doll or child.

DaisyDragonfly

My current avatar is of a doll: a Blythe doll, a type of doll I find quite creepy. (To be honest, I find most dolls uncanny, but this type of doll especially so). I liked it as an avatar, though.

Hallowquest is a long commitment, but I enjoyed the few exercises I did. Now's not the time, but, perhaps, come Easter...

Carla

That looks good.

Carla, you mentioned upthread that you've been reading for clients with the Thoth as well. Given that you're only now getting into the basics of Qabalah, Thelema, etc., have you been reading the cards for others based on the titles (some call them keywords), the RWS which derives from a common Golden Dawn source, numerology, intuitive image-reading, etc, etc? Some combination of all the above?

I read with the Thoth long before I got into any of the esoterics but I can't remember if I read for the public with it.

I've read with pips-only decks for a while now. I use numerology, my own associations with each card, my personal associations with astrological symbols (what Mars in Aries means to me, for example), as well as colour, designs, bits and bobs in the background (snakes, lotus blossoms, etc). I tend to ignore keywords, and don't know if I'll ever incorporate Qabalah in a reading...time will tell. If this method of taking it all in and popping out with an interpretation is intuitive, then I guess that's what I do. I think I would rather call it inclusive reading.

strings of life

Ha! Did you see the recent Sacred Rose thread? I'm also a fan, glowing empty eyes and all. :D
No, but I'll look for it in Tarot Decks. Such a lovely deck.

We've had a busy weekend here, but I'm looking forward to spending some time with the cards tomorrow. I need to get myself a good symbolism dictionary (or I need to search out a few good websites), because I'm noticing those details more than usual. The lack of details makes me focus more on the few that are there.
I've been using this symbol book: The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols

It's full of a ton of information: numerology, colors, symbolism, animals. It's become one of my favorite resource materials.

strings of life

Rules edited to include people who want to use...

Alamaris edited the "rules" post so that people who are using other decks (for readings or in other groups like Deck of the Week) can feel comfortable participating in the One Deck Wonder too.

Translation = the more the merrier. Anyone who wants to participate with their own guidelines should feel welcome here :).

Elendil and Chiriku, I'm catching up on posts, but am so glad that you decided to do the One Deck Wonder too :thumbsup:.

Here's the rules post: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3429469&postcount=4

#2 was edited:

2. One deck, plus one Marseilles-style deck if desired (that is, one deck with illustrated minors and one with pips). I believe that in the IDS threads some people picked one tarot and one oracle, but I feel that's a personal matter -- any discussion of the oracle would be done in the oracle sub-forum anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point. The One Deck Wonder is meant to be a focus on a tarot deck (and supplemental decks like a TdM or an oracle) for an extended period of time. Some One Deck Wonder participants are using other decks to do readings and may be participating in other groups like Deck of the Week. How you choose to study is up to you.