View Single Post
Student of Astrology

Minderwiz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope View Post
This has been SO interesting, Minderwiz! I've always been curious about Hellenistic astrology, mostly because I always enjoy Chris Brennan's writings and podcasts, but I know very little about it. I didn't realize it was quite so different than the Arabic/Medieval or Lillian astrology that I mostly associate with the "traditional" camp.

The keywords for the planets, as well as the emphasis on sect and the Lot of Fortune are particularly unfamiliar. I'm finding this thread fascinating, and am really looking forward to seeing how valuable you find the techniques to be for prediction. I'm also curious to read more about Ronia's chart because I always find the idea of having a malefic planet as a chart ruler to be an odd idea, and I'm not sure what the best case scenario is supposed to be (Mars rules my ascendant, and it's rather "strong" as it's in its own sign in the first.)

So if I'm getting the gist of all of this so far, I'm assuming that the "agenda" of the various planets will be determined by the houses they rule, then their own planetary keyword flair will be applied to how they handle those affairs, and their ability to handle them effectively is what all of this "fitness" and "completion" etc. is showing?

How are you finding the Delphic Oracle software? I tried to install a trial of the low-end software that they have a while back (Timaeus or something similar?) using Virtual Windows on my Mac, but kept getting an error about missing files.

Lastly, if you need or want another "sitter" for your practice, I'd be happy to offer up my birth info. It's all listed here in the Birth Data thread.
Thanks kalliope. I must admit I'm finding it a challenge, which is why I'm running the thread - it forces me to try and get to grips with the concepts. If I can't explain it to someone else the chances are that I don't really inderstand it myself. Now that might require more than one go but it's a good challenge.

Yes it is different from the Arab and Medieval apporaches and indeed Robert Schmidt, who runs Project Hindsight argues that we must cast out all our preconception about Astrology before trying it. So he refers to Helios and Selene, instead of Sun and Moon and talks of Images rather the Signs because he thinks it's a better translation of the Greek. Luckily Chris Brennan is not so purist in his approach so I can still call Capricorn, Capricorn and not the Goat Horns.

Delphic Oracle has a large learning curve but does have some excelent features, especially relating to predictive methods. It's also got a very good dynamic charting function so a chart can be run forward or backwards in time by anything from a minute to a year. And Time Lord periods can easily be checked against transits, or secondary progressions.

That being said, I got it at half price, which is on offer till the new version comes out. It's just about worth it, especially as there's no other program that does Hellenistic Astrology but I don't think I would have bought it at full price.

Thanks for your details. What I'll do is take Ronia and Ana through the Second stage and then return to you and spiraling who has also volunteered as a guinea pig. That will be good because I should be able to do a clearer run through and hone my skills, rather than feel my way.
Top   #37