The De-Enabling Thread

tmgrl2

littlehermit said:
Oh, but I can see it now... one of us chucks a deck onto the flames, and someone else shrieks "OH I'VE WANTED THAT ONE FOR YEARS!" and rescues it for their own collection, and most of the decks only get a little singed. ;)

So....one person's downfall is another person's redemption...

Hmmmmm....good idea, littlehermit.

Would we not be de-enabling if we all showed up at the bonfire with our decks...and BEFORE we throw any in, we all look at everyone else's decks and say, "Oh, I've always wanted that! Then no one has to pay for a deck they want, so de-enabling isn't necessary...

Unless...

the idea of de-enabling is to NOT own so many decks in the first place and then end up maybe OWNING MORE!

Oh dear, now I am quite confused.

terri

Rusty Neon

tmgrl2 said:
Isn't anyone going to de-enable my desire for the Thompson-Leng?

De-enabling follows:

That certainly is an interesting deck, one which I hadn't even heard of before, causing me to quickly look it up on google.com. It would indeed be what's known among de-enablers as a Collectors' Item. And therein lies the trap! If you buy this deck, you will, by that very act and by that very fact, become a Collector, and you thereafter constantly be looking for more and more collectors' items to acquire for your Collection. You would become a denizen of ebay. Quit now!

Moreover, from a tarological persective, I note that this note is but a clone of the Waite deck, producing only a mere subset of the wide scope of meanings found in the Waite deck itself. What incrementally-significant tarot knowledge could be acquired from the Thompson-Leng deck?

lark

Oh my eyes my eyes!
I can read no more.
You have forced me to set up the TDR (Tarot Deck Rescue)
A safe place where unwanted, unloved tarot decks of all nationalities can come to stay.
While worthy homes are found for them they will be cleaned and refreshed.
Powdered and pampered.
Sented and rested, shuffled and given a new tarot bag.
Those awaiting adoption will be posted.
Along with those looking for that special deck.
Happy matches will be made......
An adoption fee of postage would be the only requirement.

It is my lifes work to open my heart, my home, and my mailbox to these poor unfortunate decks.
Please throw none in the fire..........
There is room for all in The Spirit Room.

Satori

Gee Lark, sounds like I'd like to come work at your orphanage just to play with the orphans!

I'm just sticking my head in to apologize for my little hissy fit.

*sigh*

Busy morning.

My rule of three for de-enabling:

1. Pick a deck and commit to it for a year and a day.
2. Promise yourself not to buy another deck during that time.
3. If you want to break the contract before the end of the time period then you must give the deck away and wait out the rest of the time before getting another deck. If you choose to use a deck already in your possession for the remainder of the time, the clock has to be started over, and same rules apply.

Pook

littlehermit said:
Yes, or we'd have to set up some kind of fence to keep us far enough from the fire that we can only throw the decks in, not reach them. Maybe after the decks have burned beyond recoverability we can toast hot dogs and marshmallows on long sticks. ;)

By the time I madee it through this thread to this post, I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard and I had to take a break before I wrote this to pee. My sides hurt. You guys are horrible. Burning decks and roasting marshamllows!!! Fer shame!!;) :D

In the spirit of de-enabling, I propose that from now on, whenever you buy a deck, you must send half of the value of it to Diana as pennance and half to Solandia as a nice way to keep the forums de-enabling thread up and running !!:D

Thordia

Could anyone help me stop from buying the Robin Wood? I keep getting people telling me to get it, and it does look rather interesting, but I really don't have the money!

Course, that has never stopped me before ;)

So if anyone has any snarky comments about the Robin Wood- bring it on!

Ta!

Kahlie

kaylee said:
Could anyone help me stop from buying the Robin Wood? I keep getting people telling me to get it, and it does look rather interesting, but I really don't have the money!

Course, that has never stopped me before ;)

Ta!

It's just a fancier version of the Rider Waite. Minor variations in the art that you can think of yourself too...
Just squint your eyes a bit, and then you don't need to buy the deck ;)

Sorry, can't think up something better :p

Eco74

kaylee said:

Honestly, have you no pride?

What's wrong with being a little different?
If everyone else already have the Robin Wood, surely you can be enough of an individual to get another deck and work for a little diversity...

Or better yet. DONT buy a deck at all. :)

Thordia

No, see, that isn't going to work for me cos I am one of those people who never really does what everyone else does- so it is not really a case of fitting in.
The only reason people are influencing me on this is because they keep telling me how good it is- easy to work with etc... I need to hear an opinion of someone who really doesn't like this deck- please someone, put me off!!

Thordia

LOL, thanks Kahlie- since I have 2 Waite decks that is actually rather helpful!