One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Tarot Orat

It's probably cheating, but I don't do a full shuffle of my decks every time I do a draw - it keeps me from getting too many repeats (which is why it's probably cheating). But it's my ODW and I hate shuffling all the time :laugh:

It is interesting to see how the two decks play off each other! Especially when I get cross-deck repeats or a string of cards of the same suit or number.

Miss Divine

Just after several days of stepping out of the ODW and using another deck, I already missed the Vampyres and pulled them out to read with again. This deck sure has grown on me. :heart:

Carla

I'm back! I'd like to do a One Deck Wonder, Ostara to Summer Solstice, with Cosmic Tarot.

Disa

YAYY, Welcome back Miss Divine and Carla!

sapienza

I'm back! I'd like to do a One Deck Wonder, Ostara to Summer Solstice, with Cosmic Tarot.
Hi Carla. The Cosmic is a great choice to follow the Thoth. I've always seen the Cosmic minors as very Thothy and if you have been working with Golden Dawn meanings the deck is perfect. I've always loved the Cosmic, the artwork is extraordinary, but despite lots of time I never managed to connect fully with the images. I think it is a deck that really does need a ODW. I look forward to hearing how you go.

Carla

Hi Carla. The Cosmic is a great choice to follow the Thoth. I've always seen the Cosmic minors as very Thothy and if you have been working with Golden Dawn meanings the deck is perfect. I've always loved the Cosmic, the artwork is extraordinary, but despite lots of time I never managed to connect fully with the images. I think it is a deck that really does need a ODW. I look forward to hearing how you go.

I thought it looked a little Thothy, or at least Golden Dawny. :) Certainly doesn't look RWS anyway.

DaisyDragonfly

Sooo....what happened to my One Deck Wonder?

I love the Wild Unknown and was enjoying the daily draws. I found it to be a reliable deck for everyday, ordinary sort of questions, you know? Stuff about work, about people...it worked very well.

I use tarot as a poor-man's therapist, though, and when I came to do a digging deeper sort of a spread, I came across the problem I have with all RWS-variants. Although I know they have the RWS meanings, I feel more free to interpret them intuitively. Which is great, except I know that what I'm really doing is projecting. It's a good way to find out what I'm really thinking, but isn't helpful when I actually need advice.

So the reading I did was useful, but felt like it hadn't even touched the surface.

I love the Wild Unknown, I truly do. It's my absolute favorite of all the RWS type decks, and I just need to pull a card to feel a sense of deep calm and connection.

But if I need to have a reading which isn't just my projections, I need to use a different deck. I need a different system.

Enter the Thoth. I've been looking at it for a while, especially in its Rosetta variant.

I'm wary of committing to a ODW with it - the minute I make a public proclamation of any kind of commitment I become disgusted with the very idea. But I am going to study Thoth from now until Midsummer.

So, my version of the ODW this time around is:

a) Use the Thoth or the Rosetta for the majority of my draws and spreads. This includes using my Rosetta app when I'm out and about. I'll do comparisons of the two decks when studying a particular card.

b) Use the Wild Unknown when I'm in the mood for something gentle and agreeable.

c) If I'm really in the mood for something completely different, it's okay to pull out any other deck and pull a card. I need that visual stimulation to stay interested.

In other words, I'm taking a leaf from Chiriku's rules and giving myself wiggle room. I want to figure out this Thoth business, but I don't want to feel like I've chained myself to something.

sapienza

I thought it looked a little Thothy, or at least Golden Dawny. :) Certainly doesn't look RWS anyway.
If you use the meanings from Book T for the minors then it will all make sense.