One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Madame Squee

I've been AWOL, and it's time to 'fess up: I can't hack it!

A week or two seems to be the span of my attention these days. Anything more than that feels unbearable, and I can't seem to push past that pain. So, I'm done for now.

Thank you for your help, guys. :love:

Catch ya on the flip side! :D

Chiriku

I've been thinking for a few months about formally retiring my One Deck Wonder. It is not because I have been tempted by other decks. To the contrary, it's because my continued formal comittment to the Arthurian/Hallowquest, (a deck I respect greatly and which demands its due as a one-and-only, a betrothed, a full partner) has stunted my interest in and attention to the world of decks in my life.

Even though the most I managed with the Arthurian in the summer was a few interactions a month, I could have been far more immersed in tarot if only I could mentally relinquish my vow to finish my ODW only after I had learned the stories behind each of the 78 cards in this deck. I could have used, for instance, my other go-to summer deck, the Buckland Romani, or m designated birthday reading deck, the nostalgically-inflected Robin Wood, or my major acquisition for the year, the superbly painted Journey into Egypt Tarot.

But, because I cannot leave behind the unfinished piece of pie on the plate, I did not use any of these. Nor did I progress subtantially in the study of the Arthurian, which I began in January of this year. The latter is the true pity.

Knowing myself as I do, I am aware that only in formally renouncing my ODW will I, paradoxically, progress in my study of the Arthurian. I must free myself to do as I choose, not as I feel as I must. I am a peculiar creature, unable to take pleasure in things unless I feel I am getting away with something, playing hooky from the agenda of the day. Once it becomes part of the agenda, the pleasure is zapped.

Thus, I formally renounce my One Deck Wonder, with the understanding that I will continue in my intensive study of the endlessly appealing Arthurian Tarot.

Cheers to all.

Tarot Orat

All right. I've been away and I haven't touched Tarot for months. But I'm back. And I'm gonna DO this thing. I updated the completion date to exactly a year from the start date, that gives me a few months to immerse myself again.

Best wishes to those who've completed or set aside their ODWs....may your further journeys be inspiring and productive. I've enjoyed and learned from your company and wisdom.

Chiriku

All right. I've been away and I haven't touched Tarot for months. But I'm back. And I'm gonna DO this thing. I updated the completion date to exactly a year from the start date, that gives me a few months to immerse myself again.

I was pleased to see your name in the most recent post position. A hearty welcome back to you, Tarot Orat; many here have missed you.

I toyed with the idea of doing my official repudiation one year from my start date--it's only a couple of months away and a One Year ODW fits my need for tidy little boxes and time frames in my stages of growth--but I knew I would always be bothered by the fact that I didn't achieve my end of learning the 78 different stories/correspondences associated with my deck, and the milestone would feel hollow to me.

Continued best of luck with your ODW, though.

Chiriku

P.s. as the Arthurian still feels like my ODW even though I use other decks now too, I might return to the ODW readings threads when I want to post about a reading I did with it.

Tarot Orat

Great to see you again :) I pulled one card from the Dark Carnival and it just sat there grinning at me (literally, it's one of those clowns), I'm still working on it! More than a daily draw's worth of interpretation but I should have something written up eventually. Go figure that a deck with that sense of humor would welcome me back with a card I find very difficult...

foolMoon

A GRWS printed in Italy was the only deck I had for years. Now having a few decks around here and there, it would be difficult to choose which deck for ODW. If had to choose, I would try out with either a TdM, Thoth or clones this time.

Lil Red

The Victorian Romantic Tarot

Hi everyone,

I had been searching for this thread for a long time now and almost gave up. I remembered that I had good memories with this thread and was disappointed that I could not find it. Now that I found it I want to reenter this thread with a new deck. I will be using my Victorian Romantic Tarot.

I am pretty excited and cannot wait until tomorrow to start. Also I will be using my old guidelines as I did with my last deck with a few changes.

My Guidelines:

1) My time limit will be 78 days nonstop.

2) I’ll be using “The Tarot Playbook” by Lynda Cowles to entertain myself and to familiarize my deck but having fun in the same time. I will also be using "Tarot for Your Self" by Mary Greer.

3) I’ll be journaling using my 3 ring binder to keep all my notes in there.

4) I’ll make sure to handle my deck every day and will carry it with me at all times. I’ll draw a card of the day and do readings with this deck. Also I read with this deck when watching a horror film or maybe I Love Lucy. :D

5) I will make a playlist for this deck as well find quotes that best matches each card.

autumn and the sword

The Universal Waite

I've been waiting to see if anyone else was interested in this before I went and revived an old thread. I'm new to AT and not quite sure how people here feel about that sort of thing. I'm glad to see you, Lil Red!

My chosen deck is the Universal Waite. I'd like to work with it exclusively for a year, but just so I don't unwittingly make a liar of myself, I will officially commit myself to 3 months.

My Guidelines
1. I will read exclusively with the Universal Waite from August 1 - October 31, 2014.
2. I will only read intuitively, I will not consult books. (Academic study is for the winter season.)
3. I will record ALL THE THINGS in my personal Evernote journal. I may or may not share those things here at AT, we'll see how shy I feel about my novice insights and reading blunders.
4. I will devote some time to the cards daily.

-- Meranda

Madame Squee

Hi Meranda,

It has been a year since my last ODW ended, and I'm seriously considering jumping back in. However, I haven't decided on my decks yet. I want to use one illustrated pip deck and one Marseilles style deck... So, it's going to take me twice as long to choose!

Squee :D