View Single Post
Citizen

Cheiromancer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakbeat_Mystic View Post
I love all good people including those hooked into creeds but I'd probably make most exoterics heads explode if I'd told them the conclusions I'm coming to - if they asked why I left I'd tell em straight up that I didn't. Qabalah, alchemy, tarot: this *is* Christianity.
If pressed, you can cite a number of references to hidden (i.e. esoteric) knowledge in the scriptures. For instance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Corinthians 2:6-7
There is a certain wisdom which we express among the spiritually mature... a mysterious, a hidden wisdom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Not to mention the prophecies in Daniel and the Book of Revelation. However, I think a middle of the road position among Christians is that esoteric knowledge is not necessary for salvation: it is at best an enriching extra, but also carries risks. Among the risks are spiritual intoxication and ego inflation, with all the disciplinary and doctrinal problems that arise.

Come to think of it, I don't know what mainline Judaism thinks of Kabbalah. Or what the main views are. What would the average Jew in the synagogue say about it? Is it harmless woo-woo, or is it spiritually dangerous, or what? About all I know of it is that it was traditionally restricted to Jewish men of a certain age (40?) with children, with a lot of experience studying Torah. I don't know if Christian Cabalists had any special restrictions.
Top   #14