One Deck Wonder 2014

Hooked on TdM

I decided to use only one deck as soon as I realized the full Dodal deck was available. I really want to get in depth with this deck and get really comfortable with it. I remembered this thread from way back. So I'm starting my own!

I can't seem to bring up much through search so, anyone who participated before could you please post any suggestions?

From what I do remember, the deal was to commit to using one deck for 78days or one year. Using, working with, studying and reading. I have no idea of other parameters.

I'm committing to one year with my full Dodal. I will allow myself to buy new decks but not work with them at all. Initial look through only. I plan on daily readings and various study methods. (EE's threads, 21 ways to read tarot, etc)

My goal is to become comfortable with my deck and bring my reader skills back up to a decent level.

I'm creating this thread so that if others want to join me we can all help each other. And those who don't could give feedback, support and suggestions if they so desire. :)

Ready, set, go!

autumn and the sword

We've been posting in one of the old threads, it's literally on the first page of the Talking Tarot forum right now. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=190658

Info from the older(est?) threads is in the first and third post. Anyway, I wouldn't mind joining you in this thread instead.

Hooked on TdM

Ah well poppycock! Lol. The search feature is acting like a magic 8 ball. Well we have a shiny, new thread then. ;)

Thanks autumn! It's nice to have company. I'm going to find the 'rules' and copy them in this thread, although everyone chooses what they want.

Today, I'm finishing going through the pips. I'm writing down possible meanings for each card and anything I might get off them. I only have deniers, and epee to go through. Then I need to reassemble my deck and start working with it. Today will be my first day to pull a card for a daily draw.

Hooked on TdM

Quoted from Alamaris :

I will finish by quoting the first official One Deck Wonder thread, started by Satori:

We have put away our deck collections.

We have chosen one illustrated pip deck and one Marseilles style deck.

Some of us have committed to a 78 Day Fool's Journey with only these two decks.
Others of us have committed to 6 months on this Fool's Journey.
And still others hope for a full 12 months of minimalistic Tarot journeying...

We are committed.
We are traveling light.
And we are excited about the wonders that surely await us on the way.

Travel well my friends!
Travel strong.
Post often and tell of us your adventures along the way.

Namaste!
As far as the rules are concerned, I think keeping it simple is the best policy.

I'm no arbiter, but going on the basis of old threads -- how do these sound?

1. Time limit of at least one month -- any shorter and you're better off doing a Deck of the Week study.

2. One deck, plus one Marseilles-style deck if desired (that is, one deck with illustrated minors and one with pips). I believe that in the IDS threads some people picked one tarot and one oracle, but I feel that's a personal matter -- any discussion of the oracle would be done in the oracle sub-forum anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point. The One Deck Wonder is meant to be a focus on a tarot deck (and supplemental decks like a TdM or an oracle) for an extended period of time. Some One Deck Wonder participants are using other decks to do readings and may be participating in other groups like Deck of the Week. How you choose to study is up to you.

3. No cheating. If you buy or recieve any decks, you can check for completeness and flaws, and then promptly put them away with your other decks.

4. Handle your chosen deck every day even if you don't read with it -- a quick minute of shuffling while your soup heats up is better than nothing, if you're rushed.

5. Journaling as such is not necessary, but keep a wee notebook or a tablet nearby to write down any epiphanies, or quick reading sketches.

6. Have fun! If you're stuck or frustrated with your deck, post here for hugs, commiseration, and support.

I feel that books are well within the bounds of the ODW concept. Some decks have systems that can't be learned without a companion book or research, unless you're doing a full-on intuitive run. :)

Hooked on TdM

I also want to learn two spreads as well as I learn my deck. So I've chosen the classic Celtic Cross and the Dynamic Hexagramme

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=772708#post772708

Preamble ___________________________

I had a quick look through the rather incredible spreads index started by Alissa and maintained by Moonbow* to see if anyone else had suggested or proposed a spread such as the one that follows, and did not find any.

I would presume that this spread may be listed under 'I-Ching' - though in the sense I intend it, it is not related to the I-Ching per se, but rather utilises an aspect of its hexagrammes: its 'dynamic' aspect, if I can call it that.

For those familiar with the I-Ching, I do not here propose any 'moving' lines. In fact, I do not propose any 'lines' at all, but rather simply six positions, from left to right. The similarity to the I-Ching will be obvious to those who use its 'invisible' trigrams.

The Spread ___________________________

Code:
 _______       _______       _______       _______       _______       _______
|       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |
|       |     |   [color=chartreuse]A[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]B[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]C[/color]   |     |       |     |       |
| [color=chartreuse]Open[/color]  |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     | [color=chartreuse]Close[/color] |
|       |     |       |     |   [color=chartreuse]D[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]E[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]F[/color]   |     |       |
|_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|

[color=orange]1             2             3             4             5             6[/color]

The Reading ___________________________

Once the cards are layed six-in-a-line they may be read in the following manner

Opening Card
The opening card (card 1) gives what is present as an underlying impulse in the situation at hand, whether this be a relationship, a work situation, or whatever it is the reading is about.

It may also indicate what the reading is actually about in cases where either there is no specified question, or where the ensuing reading seems to address other than the supposed question.

Central cards (2, 3, 4, 5)
Cards 2 and 3 can first be looked at as part 'clarification' cards for card 1.

Then, the situation at hand is described as it manifests in ABC (cards 2, 3 and 4). This is basically a three card reading which may be show forth various pertinent aspects (financial, physical effort, psychological, etc).

The situation is of course never static, but in a permanent state of transformation. This is what DEF (cards 3, 4 and 5) now show as a 'new' three card reading.

The suggestion sees the sequence ABC transformed to DEF.

Closing card (6)
The Closing card (6) gives an indication for the manner in which the future pulls the situation into its sphere. Again, here, cards 4 and 5 can be looked at as clarification cards for the final or closing.

Wheels within wheels ___________________________

In a nutshell, the six-card spread has the dynamic virtue of the manner in which an I-Ching Hexagramme may be read. Here, what is the basic pattern are repeated 3-fold readings:
  • firstly as Opening -> 2, 3, 4, 5 (as a group) -> Closing;
  • secondly as the convergence of impulses from the past (1, 2, 3) meeting impulses from the future (4, 5, 6);
  • thirdly, as the manner in which the situation ABC is in the process of transformation to its new state DEF; and
  • finally (for now), the way in which this situation (ABC -> DEF) has its two forces playing in from the opening and closing cards.

Some further remarks ___________________________

I personally do not advocate a strict position='specified meaning' type reading, so the above is to be read, if taken as intended (of course anyone adopting it will transform it to their own preferred style), as dynamic and very much influenced and re-worked according to the specific cards layed out, and as to whether or not other mitigating factors (such as the preponderance of a particular suit, or figures, or colour, etc) play into the layout.

Hooked on TdM

I finished my individual card study!! I was rather excited about that yesterday. �� I'm looking at that as my mini crash course to reacquaint myself with them. It took me around three weeks total, which I think is pretty good.

I've started daily draws. That's a first for me. If I pull one in the morning its what I need to focus on for the day, one at night is what to reflect on.

Now, I'm not sure what to do next!!

I have four books sitting on the table currently: Learning the Tarot Bunning, 21 Ways to Read Tarot Greer, the Tarot Alfred Douglas, The Tarot Paul Foster Case. Since those are the ones out, I'll pick one of those to work through.

I also want to work on learning the hexagramme spread. I know I'm not ready to do readings for anyone with the full deck and new spread, and I don't like reading for myself. So I need an idea or two there!!!

Any suggestions?

autumn and the sword

I have four books sitting on the table currently: Learning the Tarot Bunning, 21 Ways to Read Tarot Greer, the Tarot Alfred Douglas, The Tarot Paul Foster Case. Since those are the ones out, I'll pick one of those to work through.

I'm using Joan Bunning's website (learntarot.com) because I like her keywords and the way that she presents them as actions. 21 Ways has a lot of good, interesting exercises and there's a study group here at AT. I don't think it's active, but the threads are there and you can read back over them to see what other people did and what kind of crazy insights they got from the exercises. I really want to do it myself some day.

I also want to work on learning the hexagramme spread. I know I'm not ready to do readings for anyone with the full deck and new spread, and I don't like reading for myself. So I need an idea or two there!!!

Any suggestions?

I'm in a similar bind! You can do readings about celebrities or fictional characters. I know there's at least one user here who posts her readings about a fictional character, I think in the Lenormand forum.

I think it would be cool to take a book you haven't read yet (or a film you haven't seen yet), choose a main character, write up what their situation is at the beginning of the story (information you can usually get from the jacket summary on a book, or IMDB for a film). Then come up for a question for them and do the reading based on that.

Maybe you could look at the questions sent to advice websites? The "Dear Abby" kind of stuff.

autumn and the sword

Meranda's ODW plans.

My chosen deck is the Universal Waite. I'd like to work with it exclusively for a year, but just so I don't unwittingly make a liar of myself, I will officially commit myself to 3 months.

My Guidelines
1. I will read exclusively with the Universal Waite from August 1 - October 31, 2014.
2. I will only read intuitively, I will not consult books. (Academic study is for the winter season.)
3. I will record ALL THE THINGS in my personal Evernote journal. I may or may not share those things here at AT, we'll see how shy I feel about my novice insights and reading blunders.
4. I will devote some time to the cards daily.

-- Meranda

Hooked on TdM

I'm using Joan Bunning's website (learntarot.com) because I like her keywords and the way that she presents them as actions. 21 Ways has a lot of good, interesting exercises and there's a study group here at AT. I don't think it's active, but the threads are there and you can read back over them to see what other people did and what kind of crazy insights they got from the exercises. I really want to do it myself some day.
I've had the books for years collecting dust on the shelf. I think they are due now. :) I'm going to start with 21 ways and check out that group on here. Bunning I'm saving as she focuses on the CC and I'm waiting for a bit better knowledge and comfort to tackle that! Seems we are taking a very similar approach.

I'm in a similar bind! You can do readings about celebrities or fictional characters. I know there's at least one user here who posts her readings about a fictional character, I think in the Lenormand forum.

I think it would be cool to take a book you haven't read yet (or a film you haven't seen yet), choose a main character, write up what their situation is at the beginning of the story (information you can usually get from the jacket summary on a book, or IMDB for a film). Then come up for a question for them and do the reading based on that.

Maybe you could look at the questions sent to advice websites? The "Dear Abby" kind of stuff.

You are brilliant. Anyone told you that lately? They should be. Simply B R I L L I A N T!!! I'm an avid reader and constantly on waiting lists from the library. I think Mr. Harry Dresden may have some readings coming up! And when I get the next book, I can compare and see how I did!

Never even imagined advice websites. Oh you are chalk full of great ideas. :) Thank you so much!!!

Lil Red

Victorian Romantic Tarot

I will be using my Victorian Romantic Tarot and decided that with it I want to know more about renaissance art as well.

My Guidelines:

1) My time limit will be a year.

2) I’ll be using “The Tarot Playbook” by Lynda Cowles to entertain myself and to familiarize my deck but having fun in the same time. I will also be using "Psychic Tarot" by Nancy Antenucci with Melanie Howard.

3) I’ll be journaling using my 3 ring binder to keep all my notes in there.

4) I’ll make sure to handle my deck every day and will carry it with me at all times. I’ll draw a card of the day and do daily readings with this deck and post it on my blog.

5) I will make a playlist for this deck as well find quotes that best matches each card.